• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lunchtime in the COVID era?

Christy

Angel Diva
This makes me weirdly happy, it’s not often I find others who share my distaste for peanut butter. Lol Most people find it weird since so many seem to like it. As a kid I was always the problem guest who was like no no can I please have just jelly or just fluff if PB&J or PB&F were on the lunch menu at a friend’s house etc..

Well, I like it in other stuff just not pb&j really. Thai peanut sauce, yum. But I can totally relate to being a kid and not liking "kid food." I loathed hot dogs (didn't really like hamburgers either) and loathed milk (on its own) and my nightmare was when I had to go to a friends house and was served a hot dog with a tall gross glass of milk. I still remember how sucky that felt to be a kid and have no control over these things.

MissySki

Angel Diva
if I eat that much food for breakfast before skiing I‘d need a nap! I don’t exercise well with much in my stomach. Usually I would have coffee and a protein bar. Or sometimes a small amount of oatmeal Or yogurt. Or toast with your dreaded peanut butter on it! Some fuel with protein but not enough food to load me down.

Strangely I feel the same way about any other meal before exercise if it’s later in the day, but eating a hearty breakfast does not make me feel tired or weighed down at all. I can’t have a heavy lunch and then ski again though, I feel like a sloth if I do that..

I don’t drink caffeine, so I don’t get that energizer in the morning. Also have been avoiding hot drinks in the morning before exercise in general because I find it makes me have to use the restroom which is not an effect I want when getting out on the mountain. When I discussed that issue as something I wanted to avoid before skiing and hiking days my nutritionist essentially banned coffee, tea, and juice in the morning along with anything else too sugary.

On regular mornings that don’t precede exercise my breakfast is a greek yogurt, some fruit, and tea or water or maybe a bagel. So I’m not an over the top breakfast eater most of the time haha.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow what a diametrically opposed thread lol!

I hate pb+j.
But I live on apple slices and peanut (or mixed nut butters) and walnuts as my go to back country touring lunch. Just enough protien and sugar to keep going without being heavy just as @Boston girl said.

I was going to give the standard pocket bacon response ....

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No indoor dining. Either in my camper shell or on the slopes since masks should be on during lift rides. My students will be a 50/50 split I bet. Some have already booked sot down lunches others are eating in their accomodations.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hoping lunch won't be an issue for me this year; since I only plan to ski weekday mornings from about 9-12pm, I'm hoping not to have to eat there at all. But if I do, I'll get something and eat at one of the outdoor tables.
I've never been a fan of bringing my own food as I'm a fussy eater--I don't like traditional sandwich bread (too soggy) and I don't like pre-made sandwiches (they have to be made when I want to eat them---and if it's on regular white sliced bread it must be toasted). Yes, this sounds really picky, but it's never been a issue as I could buy whatever I wanted while I'm there (fries, pizza, chili, burger, grilled cheese etc).

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Peanut (or almond) butter is also great in oatmeal, which makes for a very hearty and lasting breakfast!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As the BF says, "trail mix and jerky, there's a meal."
I've always rolled my eyes at this, but maybe this is the year to embrace it. It does work on the lift.

But how about stuffed dates--could go savory or sweet, fancy or not...e.g. walnuts, chèvre, bacon, PB, cream cheese.

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Half an English muffin w/butter and sugarless peanut butter and slice of apple on top. I am hypoglycemic and this works great before the gym. Its not too much and stomach is not on empty.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No indoor dining for me either. I skied at Hunter today, they had no restaurants of cafeteria open. Fortunately I brought blueberry muffin, banana and some meat bars (kind of like jerky but softer) with me and ate all of that in the car as my lunch. It was actually nice to eat in the car, I pushed my front passenger seat all the way back, took my boots off, got all comfy. :smile: I think I can make this car as a base lodge thing work well, just to make sure I get good close to slopes parking every day.

Putting my ski boots and taking them off on the front passengers seat was a challenge, but now ski in stiff race boots because they were the only boots that were narrow enough for my feet.

If I lived near a mountain I would bring thermos with tea for lunch. I am not a coffee drinker either, coffee as much as I love the taste of it, irritates my digestive tract and gives me insomnia.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
My plan for this season is to drive up Tuesday eating early lunch in the car and then ski the afternoon. Wednesday and Thursday I'll ski 9:00 until 12 or 1:00 and then go back to the unit to eat Wednesday afternoon, but drive home Thursday afternoon eating as I drive. Alternative is to put a Slim Fast Meal bar in the pocket as I've done before (I criminally like the Choc Chip Cookie Dough.)

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, I never ever felt comfortable eating in a crowded lodge. I have always hated crowds for some reason. Eating for skiing especially doesn’t have to be a project. Plus the junk food that is way overpriced because they know people are hungry when they ski. It makes sense to bring your own.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flatbread wraps are also good for pockets. I get the ones from Costco, as well as their oven roasted sliced turkey breast (not as processed as usual luncheon meat), a little mustard, sometimes some swiss. Roll it up, wrap it in a beeswax wrap, and you're good to go. As long as you leave out anything juicy it travels well.

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Great idea to make your own turkey wraps and put it in a cooler. Toss in some cliff bars and your favorite snacks and you are all set.

Skivt2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We eat some sort of meal with eggs around 8 or 9 in our condo. Then we hang around reading and digest it. Then we get ready and go out between 10:30 and 11:00. Then we ski until last chair without taking a break. We usually carry a little chocolate, gummy bears and Clementines. We usually stash water near the lift somewhere.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I carried the backpack yesterday, we had 1L of water (didn't use it because we just grabbed a pitcher inside when we went to eat). I packed 4 sandwiches in there for the whole family, wrapped in foil and then put in ziplock bags. They didn't get too squished, tasted great. We all had separate sandwiches which held up well, cranberry sauce (DD just loves it, lol), PB&J, dressing and cranberry sauce and turkey with lettuce. We will definitely have room to pack a little more next time if we need because the lodges are just so expensive, since it was our first day skiing I treated the kids to 2 chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk and it came out to be just over $15, ugh!

Otherwise, additional thoughts were for us to pack hot chocolate in a thermos in the car for when we get back to the car at the end of the day.

We went skiing at Snowmass, ate indoors at Elk Camp, they have a pretty great system in place, you get entry tickets to get into the dining room, one way traffic to go through the "grab and go" section, order hot food at the checkout and they give you a buzzer to get it when it's ready. Tables are spaced far apart. Even though it is still early season I felt that their protocols might hold up with slightly higher numbers of people on the mountain, but with some longer wait times. They definitely thought about it and I felt safe today, we'll see what it looks like later in the season...

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Good for you for being smart and preparing your own meals.
Its much healthier and alot cheaper. The lodge is full of greasy,fried foods that are bad you and the kids.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good for you for being smart and preparing your own meals.
Its much healthier and alot cheaper. The lodge is full of greasy,fried foods that are bad you and the kids.

lol, I'm a Lifestyle Medicine physician, gotta walk the walk! My hubby is a chef too...we always shake our heads at the crap they serve and the expensive prices. The only time they eat some of the crappy stuff is during their lessons. I find that we have to balance it a little bit so they don't go overboard when they get older!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I brought my own lunch and ate it in my car. Quite often some sort of basic legume pasta dish, sometimes in a thermos to keep it warm for a few hours. Sandwiches seem a really easy option for those who can eat them (i cannot - coeliac, and gluten free bread is both very expensive and does not travel well - I have tried bringing PBJ a few times but it becomes very difficult to eat after a few hours!!). That and some kind of chocolate and/or energy bar in my jacket pockets.

I wasn't a big fan of the resort food prior to covid to be honest, and mostly brought my own food anyway - I figure I already spend so much on petrol getting to the mountain each time, I don't need to spend more money on the overpriced mountain food too! The main thing that changed was that I had to start eating my lunch in my car instead of at the base lodge.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly