• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Lunch Ideas?

alison wong

Angel Diva
I LOVE the Ramen!
Can you bring cup noodles? Either get hot water from the lodge or bring own hot water in thermo flask.
I usually bring cup noodles for lunch. I prefer hot food in winter.

For me, thought about getting a backpack for lunch items. Thermo for hot drink, +/- sandwich, cheese. Something not bulky or heavy. (Zojirushi brand is good, their thermo is light in weight but retains temp.very well. Not as bulky in design as the American brands)
My question is, where do I sit and eat? if not in lodge.

kiki

Angel Diva
Can you bring cup noodles? Either get hot water from the lodge or bring own hot water in thermo flask.
I usually bring cup noodles for lunch. I prefer hot food in winter.

For me, thought about getting a backpack for lunch items. Thermo for hot drink, +/- sandwich, cheese. Something not bulky or heavy. (Zojirushi brand is good, their thermo is light in weight but retains temp.very well. Not as bulky in design as the American brands)
My question is, where do I sit and eat? if not in lodge.
I know, I am also thinking about where to eat. I used to snack in the gondola or chairlift (peperoni etc) in addition to going in for lunch and some days when lodge too full to get a table I did just go and take the gondola between mountains back and forth and eat my power bar in there while I rested up (even in a normal year our lodges don’t have enough seating). but now won’t be able to do that with masks on. The hill is too busy to stand and eat on the edge without getting hit.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
also hope that ski areas set up some fire pits for people to get warm without having to go inside.
Northstar has fire pits in front of the lodge and all around the village area....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Tahoe resorts I have accommodations close by to go and eat lunch or sit by the fire pits (imagine they will be packed)...

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if people will start treating base areas like tailgating locations, setting up camp chairs, grills, camp stoves, and the like.
The Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development has this info on its website for Mandatory Health and Safety Requirements.

4.2 Outdoor Recreation Businesses, Facilities and Organizations
Require an “arrive, play and leave” mentality. Groups may not gather before or after activities (no tailgating, etc.).

I would really like to have a small stealth camper van, arrive early, and use it as my base/changing room/toilet/kitchen.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development has this info on its website for Mandatory Health and Safety Requirements.

4.2 Outdoor Recreation Businesses, Facilities and Organizations
Require an “arrive, play and leave” mentality. Groups may not gather before or after activities (no tailgating, etc.).

I would really like to have a small stealth camper van, arrive early, and use it as my base/changing room/toilet/kitchen.
Down here in NZ most of the skifields promoted using your vehicle as your day lodge and only using the mountain facilities when necessary, however with our ski areas being so much smaller it was fairly easy to manage.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We historically have done a pretty good tailgate for eating during the day. A little backpacking stove system can have hot water ready for noodles or hot beverages pretty quickly. I was thinking we would do a lot of that this year—didn’t occur to me that this might be shut down. A camper van is on my list of ideal ideas too for a little more space to change, bathroom, (of course watching for freezing on your fluid lines/tanks through use of blanket heaters or positioning inside the vehicle versus underneath) heater, possibly the boot dryer if it doesn’t pull too much for the battery bank... hoping we can find some ways to make full days work pleasantly

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We historically have done a pretty good tailgate for eating during the day. A little backpacking stove system can have hot water ready for noodles or hot beverages pretty quickly. I was thinking we would do a lot of that this year—didn’t occur to me that this might be shut down. A camper van is on my list of ideal ideas too for a little more space to change, bathroom, (of course watching for freezing on your fluid lines/tanks through use of blanket heaters or positioning inside the vehicle versus underneath) heater, possibly the boot dryer if it doesn’t pull too much for the battery bank... hoping we can find some ways to make full days work pleasantly
Such a shame tailgating has been shut down, its what we were encouraged to do during our season, a bit like stepping back in time and was pretty good fun.

Christy

Angel Diva
Yes, I also see some resorts have time limits for skiing, so will more people just ski and then go home for a shorter day now?
maybe eating in the car to and from the resort etc?

That's kind of what I have been doing, when I'm alone anyway. Eat a packed breakfast on the way up, keep a simple sandwich in my pocket and just eat that on the go, then have another sandwich or something waiting in the car. I don't intend to ski all that long after lunch though. For quite a while I've been wishing there was a good taco truck on my way home. That would be perfect. Maybe I need to do some online research (though the first 50 minutes of my drive is national forest or private timberland, so for sure nothing is there).

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Such a shame tailgating has been shut down, its what we were encouraged to do during our season, a bit like stepping back in time and was pretty good fun.

Likely, post Covid, SOMEDAY, tailgating will be allowed again. Right now there is the need to keep groups down.

Reactions: AJM

MissySki

Angel Diva
Unless I’m traveling, I mostly choose to ski from opening through lunchtime when everyone else is inside and finish up by around 2pm or so. Depends on the day, if conditions are great I might grab a snack and stay out longer. I’ll then go find something to eat either at apres’ or back at my condo. This year will be more at the condo, but overall this part doesn’t concern me or need any additional planning. My condo is on mountain, so I could also just go there for lunch or a warm up break if needed during the day. I’m hoping for some outside options for an apres’ beer etc. though.

altagirl

Staff member

I'm curious how this will be handled. Alta put out guidance that they want people to stay out of the lodges as much as possible and use their vehicles as locker room and cafeteria. How are they going to prevent folks from congregating in the parking lot on nice days when you sent them to their cars in the first place? I wonder if they just hope folks are that cautious or if the Marshal will be patrolling the lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna