• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Low volume boots - options

MissySki

Angel Diva
24.5 - I can't imagine going down a size in these whereas the Salomons did feel a bit big (ie too comfy in a 24.5).

Ah good to know, I don’t think I’ve ever tried on a Nordica boot. Not sure if that means they aren’t right for my foot shape etc., but will keep it in mind.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I'd get through a pair a season, if not 2 in a good year, at that rate. It didn't work for me, but have you tried a full custom liner, ie injection moulded?

Yes, my turnover rate for ski boots has to change. Being retired now and living near good skiing, there is the potential for me to ski a lot more so the boot problem has to be solved.

I have not tried injection moulded liners. First I need a boot that actually has some correlation to my foot. My heel is not wide, but it curves to the inside some. I think bootfitters accommodate that by putting me in a boot with a wider heel instead of grinding out the heel. Then as soon as the liner starts to relax, the ankle area is too big, as well as perhaps the heel area on the outside. From what I understand, grinding out the heel is not a challenge -- there's plenty of boot material to work with -- so I think it's a matter of the right bootfitter and the right boot.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious if anyone has tried the new Dalbellos especially the DS ASOLO FACTORY 115 W GW ....
An extremely light, high-end DS Asolo model specially developed for women
Super lightweight.....

elemmac

Angel Diva
Curious if anyone has tried the new Dalbellos especially the DS ASOLO FACTORY 115 W GW ....
An extremely light, high-end DS Asolo model specially developed for women
Super lightweight.....

I haven't tried them...but interested. While browsing for information on this boot I found a good review of the non-factory version on America's Best Bootfitters. Sounds like a lot of the reviewers preferred the non-factory version, the DS Asolo 115W:

"The Dalbello DS Asolo 115 W brings a traditional, 4-buckle overlap narrow width made with polyurethane in the shell and cuff. Bravo! Testers felt the Grilamid-built Asolo Factory was good for the weight-conscious, but they'd prefer a couple hundred more grams and the dampness and stability of PU, thank you very much. Take the creature comfort of the women's medium width DS, keep its Power Cage shell construction that maintains strength while reducing weight, add a little of the race-bred fit characteristics from the DRS line (while keeping the convenience and traction of GripWalk soles) and you've got one in the winner's column. And it's an all-new liner this year. "

Full review here

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@elemmac, thank you, yes I saw that article as well, but...... its almost 1/2 pound? Just found it interesting that it was closer to an AT boot weight, and I do have Grilamid in my AT boots so I know the feeling. In a "normal" year, the lifts I ride have no foot rest and as I get older the weight of the set up seems to be bothering my knees. So I am always interested in exploring lighter weight set ups and what the manufactures are coming up with. Similar technology to the AT boot design is trickling down to mainstream all mountain.

In contrast I was actually surprised when I felt the weight difference between the Mach1 LV PRO vs the Mach1 LV 105 at a shop last weekend. My current Mach 1 LV 105 weigh 1862g, would be interesting to see what this years boots actually weigh.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So far so good with the new boots - the flex feels good even on a fairly cold day (about -13 celsius). I've got the 115 boot but defanged with both the bolts out right now. I'm interested to see how they feel when it's a bit warmer and whether I need to get 1 of the bolts put back in. They feel much damper than my Striders, which is nice on wind-packed bumps and rougher groomers - similar lateral flex, which I like too.

I skied for over 5 hours straight yesterday and for the first time in ages, my legs felt tired before my feet hurt AND I didn't have to ice my ankles when I got home. I undid the buckles on each ride up to give my feet a break, think they'd have gone to sleep otherwise. Quietly optimistic at this stage!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
The comparison of flex with the men's 110 version was interesting/confusing - I found the 110 too soft, it was a definite no straightaway. The 115 felt much stiffer - also tried them with the bolts out and still stiffer than the 110.
Did you buy the Nordica promachine? I have the men’s 110s and they are way to stiff for me. The boot fitter took out some screws so they are a bit better but I still cannot get my foot inside by myself. I could not even put my liners in myself. That’s what happens when a professional boot fitter decides he wants to make a sale. I had to take his word that they were a good fit/flex as my first ski boots ever. I’m still hoping with a better stance and more lessons they will start to be ok.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you buy the Nordica promachine? I have the men’s 110s and they are way to stiff for me. The boot fitter took out some screws so they are a bit better but I still cannot get my foot inside by myself. I could not even put my liners in myself. That’s what happens when a professional boot fitter decides he wants to make a sale. I had to take his word that they were a good fit/flex as my first ski boots ever. I’m still hoping with a better stance and more lessons they will start to be ok.
Yes, they work well for me. Sorry to hear yours are giving you problems. I'm no expert on this so just commenting on my own experience.

Apart from the flex, do you feel that the boots fit snugly (like a firm handshake)? Are you just starting out skiing or have you been skiing for a while and just decided to invest in a pair of boots?

With my previous pair of boots, it took me ages to work out how to get them on without help (and swearing), especially when I was trying moulded liners - seriously, about 25 minutes on one occasion. I finally worked out that I needed to get the plastic that overlaps around the front of the ankle out of the way, which took a fair bit of effort and coordination. Warming the boots definitely helps soften the plastic and makes things easier.

I can't get my liners in or out of any of my boots without risking losing fingernails - not proud of having to rely on my husband for that but maybe I'll get the hang of it one day.

The flex thing is tricky to judge - I feel like my last boots were too stiff and these new ones are better. The bootfitters were quite definite that both were absolutely fine for me so who knows? These are the first boots I've had in 20 years of skiing where I can say that this is how I want my boots to feel, so it's taken a while to get to this point. I have both the bolts out of my boots (will probably try with one or both back in this winter), and was told that the boots could be softened further if I needed it but that would a permanent alteration as they have to cut the plastic shell to do that.

Can you talk to an instructor when you next take a lesson and ask them if they think the boot is working for you? Assuming that your instructor has a good few years experience and you trust their opinion.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try warming the plastic of the boot just in front of the ankle before opening that area to fit your foot inside. Use a hairdryer.

I use a hairdryer every morning. And if I can, I use it in the afternoon when I take my boots off. I carry it in my bootbag; it's a very small hairdryer that folds up so it doesn't take much room. The issue can be finding an outlet to plug it into inside the lodge.

People who boot up in the car use a heated boot bag to warm the plastic. I don't know if it works as well as the hairdryer.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally worked out that I needed to get the plastic that overlaps around the front of the ankle out of the way, which took a fair bit of effort and coordination.
My boot setup means that I put the liner on my foot first, lace it up and then shove the whole lot into the boot shell - but i have to do the same thing. I kind of grab each side of the plastic overlap and wrench them apart so i can shove my foot+liner into the boot shell. My boots aren't even very tight on my feet, and they're definitely not too stiff, but man they are an absolute pain to get into!
I can't get my liners in or out of any of my boots without risking losing fingernails - not proud of having to rely on my husband for that but maybe I'll get the hang of it one day.
I take the liners out of my boots all the time (so that I can put on the liner first) and my technique is to grab the back loop of the liner with one hand, and press on the back of the boot shell with the *palm* of my other hand, so my fingers/fingernails aren't in the way. Then pull them in the opposite direction until the liner comes out. HOWEVER - one time I was leaning a bit close to my boot as I pulled the liner out, and when it came loose from the boot shell, the heel of the liner kinda flew up and hit me in the face and split my lip. I looked like I'd been in a fight for three days :rotf:

A heated boot bag sounds like such a great idea for easy boot application!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@skinnyfootskis have you tried the shoe horn thing that some divas have recommended for getting boots on? Can you ski in the boots and the stiffness is just an issue when putting on/off? Or is it inhibiting your skiing overall? Keep in mind that bootfitters can soften a too stiff boot, so it’s better to buy too stiff than too soft. If you can’t ski them but the fit is great, get back to a fitter to discuss what’s going on and what steps you can try. Often the first option is to remove screws in the spine, so you can try nonpermanent solutions like that before getting to a point of cutting plastic that is permanent.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Yes, they work well for me. Sorry to hear yours are giving you problems. I'm no expert on this so just commenting on my own experience.

Apart from the flex, do you feel that the boots fit snugly (like a firm handshake)? Are you just starting out skiing or have you been skiing for a while and just decided to invest in a pair of boots?

With my previous pair of boots, it took me ages to work out how to get them on without help (and swearing), especially when I was trying moulded liners - seriously, about 25 minutes on one occasion. I finally worked out that I needed to get the plastic that overlaps around the front of the ankle out of the way, which took a fair bit of effort and coordination. Warming the boots definitely helps soften the plastic and makes things easier.

The flex thing is tricky to judge - I feel like my last boots were too stiff and these new ones are better. The bootfitters were quite definite that both were absolutely fine for me so who knows? These are the first boots I've had in 20 years of skiing where I can say that this is how I want my boots to feel, so it's taken a while to get to this point. I have both the bolts out of my boots (will probably try with one or both back in this winter), and was told that the boots could be softened further if I needed it but that would a permanent alteration as they have to cut the plastic shell to do that.

Can you talk to an instructor when you next take a lesson and ask them if they think the boot is working for you? Assuming that your instructor has a good few years experience and you trust their opinion.

Hi. I used to ski but and could almost pop out of rental boots because my foot is so narrow. I consider myself a beginner again, but I was ok on most blues at Okemo. Not sure anymore.
I feel better that you struggled with putting boots on...we are definitely not the only ones. I do like the liners. Nice and tight. I have the bolts out and probably will keep them out. I’m going to try very hard to ski as much as my body will let me. I’m hoping to grab great lessons at Okemo the first part of December. That should help correct my bad habits.
Thank you Mrs Plow

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
@skinnyfootskis have you tried the shoe horn thing that some divas have recommended for getting boots on? Can you ski in the boots and the stiffness is just an issue when putting on/off? Or is it inhibiting your skiing overall? Keep in mind that bootfitters can soften a too stiff boot, so it’s better to buy too stiff than too soft. If you can’t ski them but the fit is great, get back to a fitter to discuss what’s going on and what steps you can try. Often the first option is to remove screws in the spine, so you can try nonpermanent solutions like that before getting to a point of cutting plastic that is permanent.

I have a ski pal boyfriend who is an angel with helping me, but I do need to be able to fend for myself. I have tried boot horns. They don’t help much but I saw a post about a different kind that I will try...
That is good to know about softening. I do think a proper stance and good ski position will also help. I like the boots as far as the tight fit. I skied a moth ago at Big Snow and stuck a pad in the tongue (shin) area. I will need a shift in the tongue before season and will probably ask a local fitter if he/she can help with that.
Thank you MissySki your breadth of knowledge is amazing and greatly appreciated.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Oh.....I also learned if we are driving to day ski, to put hand warmers in my boots for a few minutes. Mind you I’m careful about my heat molded liners.
It really helps and starts my dang long skinny cold toes out warm.....

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
The Nordica Promachine works for me - I am tall and have a narrow-ish forefoot and heel, thin calves, and a normal instep height.

I also have the Atomic Hawks Ultra XTD for touring. I wear both of them in 25.5; compared to the Nordica Promachine, the Atomic has more forward lean, is shorter in foot length, has a shorter cuff and is wider in the forefoot. They are both the same flex rating, but the Atomic is softer....kind of wishing I had gone up on this one, but perhaps it is me adjusting to the shorter cuff as I am tall.
Hi. I tried the hawk ultra 110s (men’s) today. I totally agree with you that they are softer than the Nordica promachine 110.
I still can’t flex the Nordica while skiing and am looking for a low volume boot that is easier to flex. I around an advanced beginner to intermediate. If you are tall, have you tried a men’s boot?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@skinnyfootskis, how do you check out whether you can "flex a boot" or not when you're in the shop? What do you do with your legs, feet, or hips/shoulders?

And how do you try to flex the boot when skiing?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
If you are tall, have you tried a men’s boot?
No, I have not. I am just shy of 5’9”, but more of my height is in my torso rather than leg. The cuff on the Nordica Pro Machine is a good height for me and narrow enough.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
?closing/flexing my ankles? My goal is to learn proper everything....so I feel in control and have confidence. Wish you taught closer.....
Yes, close the ankle is good. That's step # one for flexing the cuff.

But just closing the ankle won't flex any ski boot if you don't do the next thing. Move your hips (pelvis) forward over your toes. Hold onto a chair or something so you won't face plant right there in the store. When your hips come forward, the body weight above them comes forward too. It's your body weight bearing down on the cuff that flexes the boot. This goes for in the store as well as on snow. Out on snow the front half of the ski will hold you up and keep you from face-planting.

Closing the ankle and moving the hips forward on snow, in order to press the front half of the ski downward, is what being "forward" means.

Out on snow, the faster you go, the tighter the turn, the higher the edge angles, the more the skier looks like a racer going around a gate, the more the boot will flex ... but only if you have your body weight forward enough to put weight and pressure on the front half of the ski (its "shovel").

"Forward enough" for high angle skiing doesn't necessarily mean your weight is in front of the toes. But while skiing less aggressively and with low edge angles, it's good to aim to get the hips up and forward enough to hover over the toes. This is the way to use the whole ski, not just the middle and back end. The cuff will flex as a by-product, and you'll feel it happening. You'll also be able to feel the shovel grip the snow and pull you into the turn.

Last edited:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Yes, close the ankle is good. That's step # one for flexing the cuff.

But just closing the ankle won't flex any ski boot if you don't do the next thing. Move your hips (pelvis) forward over your toes. Hold onto a chair or something so you won't face plant right there in the store. When your hips come forward, the body weight above them comes forward too. It's your body weight bearing down on the cuff that flexes the boot. This goes for in the store as well as on snow. Out on snow the front half of the ski will hold you up and keep you from face-planting.

Closing the ankle and moving the hips forward on snow, in order to press the front half of the ski downward, is what being "forward" means.

Out on snow, the faster you go, the tighter the turn, the higher the edge angles, the more the skier looks like a racer going around a gate, the more the boot will flex ... but only if you have your body weight forward enough to put weight and pressure on the front half of the ski (its "shovel").

"Forward enough" for high angle skiing doesn't necessarily mean your weight is in front of the toes. But while skiing less aggressively and with low edge angles, it's good to aim to get the hips up and forward enough to hover over the toes. This is the way to use the whole ski, not just the middle and back end. The cuff will flex as a by-product, and you'll feel it happening. You'll also be able to feel the shovel grip the snow and pull you into the turn.
YES, that is what I need to learn... I am "stiff". I "know" what I should do-but doing it it a different story. I am planning on skiing women Wednesdays at a local mountain all of January to do drills etc. (Except during Diva East).
I also feel like I steer the ski with my heels ;(
I definitely need some stance work....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly