• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Low volume boots - options

elemmac

Angel Diva
Do you feel like the instep is big for you in that boot size at all?
I've never really had a boot fit well on my instep, I think it's just something I've learned to deal with over the years (same thing with snowboard boots).

The ProMachine has been the closest fit I've had. It was "decent" at first...now being on my third year with them, the liners are well packed out.

Not really sure about the degree of flexibility...I would say pretty "average". I wouldn't say I'm overly flexible, but definitely don't have a problem with lack of flexibility either.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where does one get this Fischer boot app? N/M, found it. I wonder what it will suggest for me? Malfunction? :laughter:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ya know, I wouldn’t be against trying a Fischer again someday. I had the first version of the vacuum fit boot which definitely had some issues with materials. The liner was terrible and they put me in too large of a size to begin with. I had them vacuumed several times, and the last time by my current fitter who made them fit extremely well. The problem was that they’d be super snug and then loosen up over time once again which I believe had to do with the materials and also that the shell was just too big for me. I’d be curious to hear about them more now and where they’ve gone since then.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't done repeat attempts yet, but got:

Left:
Length - 234
Ball Width - 91
Instep height - 59
Navicular height - 37
Heel width - 57

Right:
Length - 235
Ball width - 91
Instep height - 58
Navicular height - 34
Heel width - 58

ETA: Seems to mostly be recommending boots in their Ranger and RC4 lines for me. I've had Junior RC4 boots before.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So you guys are getting actual recommendations?? I get a whole slew of things that come up, but many of the boots shown don’t even come in my size so I didn’t think it was necessarily a curated list..

MissySki

Angel Diva
I haven't done repeat attempts yet, but got:

Left:
Length - 234
Ball Width - 91
Instep height - 59
Navicular height - 37
Heel width - 57

Right:
Length - 235
Ball width - 91
Instep height - 58
Navicular height - 34
Heel width - 58

ETA: Seems to mostly be recommending boots in their Ranger and RC4 lines for me. I've had Junior RC4 boots before.

This is definitely showing me that the rest of my stats are indeed for someone with a shorter foot than me.. oh and that my damn forefoot is wicked wide in comparison to you all! :eek: My proportions seem weird. Can we get some divas with bigger feet doing this too please? Lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So you guys are getting actual recommendations?? I get a whole slew of things that come up, but many of the boots shown don’t even come in my size so I didn’t think it was necessarily a curated list..

When I click on Alpine, I get a long list of RC4 and Ranger options. Some of the boots come in short enough lengths for me (I'm technically a 23.5, but need a 22.5 to get the cuffs lower for flex reasons), but the app doesn't seem to filter out boots that don't come in my size.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I click on Alpine, I get a long list of RC4 and Ranger options. Some of the boots come in short enough lengths for me (I'm technically a 23.5, but need a 22.5 to get the cuffs lower for flex reasons), but the app doesn't seem to filter out boots that don't come in my size.

Gotcha, same for me too then. Well, I more get the Rangers in anything that would work for my size which seems to make sense since I’m filtering on all mountain purpose.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gotcha, same for me too then. Well, I more get the Rangers in anything that would work for my size which seems to make sense since I’m filtering on all mountain purpose.

I didn't specifically filter based on purpose. I have such a hard time finding boots that fit and that I can also flex, that I'll take anything I can get. I do all my race clinic and racing stuff in Dalbello Chakras currently, which are hardly "race" boots. lol

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My numbers were all over the map, but my width is 82mm and 85mm (again, all over the map.) How does it measure heel width when it doesn't take a picture of your heel?

It did give me an error message several times. :laughter:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those struggling to find low-volume boots, there was a good discussion of junior race boots here recently, which might be worth revisiting.

I'm in some Lange jr racers and they are great; the first boots I've ever felt had a good shell fit.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am having a problem with the numbers that I am seeing above for the instep height. The instep should be measured in cm just like the length of the foot. If the instep is true to size you will get the same number as the length of your foot. If the instep # is larger, you will have to go up a size. If the instep # is lower, you will need to go down a size.

To measure your instep:
Volume is the cm measurement from one side of the heel over and around the ankles to the other side of the heel. This will let you know your instep height.
volume_large.jpg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am having a problem with the numbers that I am seeing above for the instep height. The instep should be measured in cm just like the length of the foot. If the instep is true to size you will get the same number as the length of your foot. If the instep # is larger, you will have to go up a size. If the instep # is lower, you will need to go down a size.

To measure your instep:
Volume is the cm measurement from one side of the heel over and around the ankles to the other side of the heel. This will let you know your instep height.
View attachment 14584

When I measure my right foot instep this way I get a number similar to my foot length, which makes sense as I've been told I have a pretty average instep before, both for ski boots and running shoes. They're obviously measuring instep differently... bottom of arch to top of foot?

mustski

Angel Diva
When I measure my right foot instep this way I get a number similar to my foot length, which makes sense as I've been told I have a pretty average instep before, both for ski boots and running shoes. They're obviously measuring instep differently... bottom of arch to top of foot?
Right. That's what concerned me. It's an unusual way to measure instep for ski boots.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Explore having "gas pedals" installed to the toes of the boots, especially if you overall like how these fit. Do you have access to a reputable boot fitter/shop that can assess your fore/aft stance and advise as to how much lift in the toes you need? One way to test this is to stand in your boots on a flat surface and put a credit card under the toe to see if that makes things feel more relaxed, then add more layers (business card, for instance) to see how much gas pedal you might need. (Again, a good shop should be able to assist you here.) FWIW, I have a 3mm gas pedal in my Rossi Hero ZJ junior race boots. Part of this is because I'm in a 22.5 boot, which has a steeper ramp angle just because it's such a short BSL. I went from feeling like I was skiing on my toes, with my quads on fire, to feeling incredibly balanced and efficient. There are ways to test this on the snow, but I'm not going to get into them here. Do an internet search and you will find a plethora of information.

Standing the boot up with a gas pedal could also help correct the calf issues you are describing. There are also other ways to address the calf issue, but a bootfitter would be best to address that. The cuff could be manipulated, the boot board could be ground down in the heel to lower the heel, loads of options, especially in a higher-level boot like the RX110.
I may be out of options with these because my Rossi boots (canted) were routed incorrectly when I tried to get grip walk soles added. The shop replaced them with the rx110's, and canted them the same way. When I skied them, I thought that the canting was the problem so I asked for the plates to be removed. Lifter plates bring them back to spec, but they can't be routed again. I love the performance but they kill my legs, its such a bummer! I'm torn between performing science experiments on the cuff, having a shim mounted on all of my bindings, or just calling it a wash and buying new boots.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just tried that Fisher app and didn't get very accurate results:
Left
length 251 (incorrect--I measured myself using a metric ruler and I'm a solid 245--this corroborates what i measure on the brannock device as a 24.5 mondo)
ball width 95 (I measured it as 90 on a ruler un weighted and 92 weighted
instep height 61 (no idea if that is correct)
navicular height (no idea)
heel width 64 (I think this is also incorrect--I have a narrow heel which makes buying shoes a challenge--I get heel movement in lots of shoes)

Right
length 251
ball width 94
instep height 63
navicular height 40
heel width 63

when I measure my instep in the manner shown by mustski it's about the same as my foot length--maybe a bit smaller but not a lot smaller.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having measured my instep, it's coming out at around 24.5, certainly doesn't seem to be 23.5.

I tried on the Nordica ProMachine today - both the 110 men's version and the 115 women's. Think the 115 could be a good option (in 24.5), it felt very snug and I liked the flex much more than the Salomon. My current boots now have some more customisations and my foot felt more secure in the shop - will ski them hopefully tomorrow and see if it's pain or gain! But definitely considering the ProMachine as an inresort ski.

I'll also see if anyone in town has the Atomic Hawx Ultra before I decide.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Having measured my instep, it's coming out at around 24.5, certainly doesn't seem to be 23.5.

I tried on the Nordica ProMachine today - both the 110 men's version and the 115 women's. Think the 115 could be a good option (in 24.5), it felt very snug and I liked the flex much more than the Salomon.
I tried on the 2021 Nordica ProMachine 115W today too! I stopped into a shop to look at Booster Straps and saw they had my size on the wall...I just had to slip it on to see what has changed. Wowza, that is going to be my next boot! Hugs my foot like it was made for me, and that was without my custom insoles in there. The flex on the new 115W felt weirdly the same as my 2019 95W.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I wear a 25.5 Nordica Promachine (98mm last); with a Brannock device I measure a 25 on the left and a 25.5 on the right. When I measure my instep it is 25cm. Bootfitters have told me I have an average instep, but that my forefoot drops off fast, and a narrow side of average width. Street shoe is 9.5M.

Interesting app - I did it 3X as well and my measurements didn't vary much. Haven't a clue how it determines heel width since that never makes a photo op.

I put my measurements into Excel and took a screenshot. The boots listed didn't make any sense, so I am not sure what to make of that.

1610765042107.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna