• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Low light lense/goggle recs

noprobllama

Certified Ski Diva
Any tried and true recommendations to get better contrast in the snow in low light/flat light conditions? I've been mainly using SPY goggles with an orange tint that I use when it snows which have been okay for me. Looking at potentially Oakley (prizm lenses) or Smith's but open to trying other brands.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got Oakley hi-pink prizm which is ostensibly a low-light lens, however, I don't find it's particularly awesome at increasing contrast. Husband swears by his yellow Smith lens in similar conditions.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Oakley Prizm hi pink, Smith Chromapop storm, and Giro's latest vivid storm. I much prefer the Smith storm lens. I'm 53 and my vision gets worse every year in flat light. But, everyone is different and I've read studies that eye color can make it so that one lens color works and one doesn't, if that makes sense?

Yellow lenses suck if the sun pops out. I had Oakley hi-yellows and when the sun came out, I felt like a vampire. :rotf: "Gah, the sun! Make it go away! I'm blind!"

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't found anything better than a yellow lens, TBH. I have smith goggles, and I have the storm lens, but when light is absolute garbage the yellow always wins. I carry extra lenses with me in my jacket or pack so I can swap in the gondola if conditions change.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't found anything better than a yellow lens, TBH. I have smith goggles, and I have the storm lens, but when light is absolute garbage the yellow always wins. I carry extra lenses with me in my jacket or pack so I can swap in the gondola if conditions change.
So, you won't become a sun-avoiding vampire? :wink:

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
My absolute favorite are the Smith storm rose chromapop. I ski Michigan and am under cloudy skies skiing flat light 80% of the time. These lenses give great contrast. Have to get the chromapop version. Regular version is not nearly as good.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have the Smith photochromic red mirror for most conditions. It’s good from bright sun to mostly cloudy. When it snows or is particularly cloudy, I swap it out for the chromapop storm yellow flash.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I’ve worn the SPY goggles with orange tint. Good for the jump, but time for an upgrade.

One more vote for the Smiths… I have storm rose chromapop that is photocromic. I used it this past weekend in flat light conditions and I could see ALLLLLL the ice. I’m going to treat myself to a yellow lens when I get to 15 lbs lost (I’m at 10 rn)

My daughter got Giro goggles for her birthday with the VIVID technology, and even though she was wearing her sunny day lenses in flat light, she also noted how well she could see the ice.

You have options!!!

noprobllama

Certified Ski Diva
Ah that's awesome - great suggestions all around ladies!! looks like I'll need to take a look at the Smith storm rose chromapops and bring my helmet when trying them out.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Spy Doom goggles, and prefer the high yellow happy lens. I have others, including persimmon (orange), but pretty much never swap them out. I tried the Smith storm rose, but felt they didn't do as well as my high yellow. And they didn't fit as well with my helmet either.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I use Giro Ella goggle with the Vivid lens. Has magnetic interchangeable lenses. The contrast and clarity with the Vivid lens was such a game changer over the regular lens coming from someone that doesn't have great eyesight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly