• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Loveland Ski Area 11/22/22

Amie H

Angel Diva
The more resorts I visit, I find myself developing a sort of "crush" on charming, friendly indie hills.

Loveland is one of those places.

I'd been there in May (!) of 2018, when I booked a lesson to learn how to transition to my new shaped skis. My instructor ended up being more of a guide, as he said, I already knew how to ski. So we just skied all over the mountain, including up chair 9 to the ridge. I ended up with huge bruises, aching muscles, and the fondest skiing and après memories! I knew I had to get back there someday.

My 2022 visit would be different for two reasons: I'm a more practiced skier now, and not much terrain was open. I pulled into the lot before 9am and was in the second row of vehicles to the lift. Totally awesome.

Only Lift 2 and Chet's Dream were open, the latter having a consistent wait time, so I opted to mostly do laps from Lift 2 through Tango/Home Run. Easy stuff, but much less crowded than top of Chet's dream down to the bottom. I considered a blue bump run from the top, but it was in the shade and super hard pack. Maybe another time, with more forgiving snow.

I took a break from the cold in the bar, had a really good Strawberry Rhubarb sour ale by Great Divide, and was with my daughter on Google Chat. She gave me some exciting news (I'll share if/when what we discussed comes to fruition.) Anyway, after that, I ventured up Chet's Dream and took Cat Walk to Mambo. Firm hardpack, but still a fun ride.

You'll notice in the video some folks flying past me. I talked to an over-50 (possibly over 60) passsholder on Lift 2 who remarked on the unusual high volume of skiers, and how fast people were ripping down the runs of the top of Chet's. I agreed, told her I noticed more, uh, "carefree" clientele on that side so I felt more comfortable where we were, even though the runs were much shorter. We talked about the resort a bit, and after sharing a story of a line gone wrong off the ridge she shared this nugget of wisdom: "I don't want my playtime to be work."

Staff were friendly, and the lifties were downright exuberant. The joyfullness was infectious. I left with a smile on my face, and am feeling those warm fuzzies now as I type out this report.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Thanks for the Loveland report. It has raised my excitement level for tomorrow — I’ll be skiing my first day of this season at Loveland tomorrow! Hoping for a happy experience like yours with nice people, uncrowded slopes and hopefully some Colorado sun!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I love living vicariously through you!

FWIW, my dear friend who is our snow buddy here in WI grew up in CO and taught snowboarding at Loveland. She’s still very fond of the hill and has recommended that we check it out on a Western trip. I am so grateful that she tolerates Midwest skiing with me, but as she says, better to be on the snow here than not get on the snow. That’s why I love her.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Amie H , I have been genuinely enjoying your recent adventures! I love the way you talk and film the runs in a way that makes us feel like we are on a mountain tour at the resorts.
Loveland has been on my radar for years, but it's not quite close enough to make that something I could drive to without having to visit all those other areas in Colorado requiring the nasty I-70 to get to THOSE.

And I had no idea there was a highway next to Loveland. Can't say I have ever seen that before.:tongue:

Amie H

Angel Diva
@badger Thanks so much! I do that because I've sought out this sort of intel online myself before choosing a resort to visit. Maybe it's also a bit of my college radio DJ coming out.

I also dislike that haul on 70, it's a bit nerve-wracking. Staying in Blackhawk was not bad because it was a quiet drive and only a short portion on 70. Although I'm not sure how that "quiet" mountain road would be in winter weather.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Hi @Amie H
I skied at Loveland last Friday. I enjoyed it but it was a bit crowded -- being the Friday before the Holiday weekend I guess. Not crowded so much on the slopes, but just the parking situation. The highlight for me was getting to see a Porcupine way up in a tree beside the Ptarmigan lift! That was really neat. The views were also spectacular of the Continental Divide. I-70 is not for the faint of heart though and I won't be driving up there again from Denver. Headed to Grand Targhee soon for the rest of the season.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I-70 is tough. I was in Blackhawk on my most recent visit, so I was only on 70 a short distance.

Porcupines are awesome!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna