• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lost my skiing mojo?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry to hear that! Mine are triggered by the barometric pressure, too. After all that time I spent gluten- and dairy-free, which changed nothing and was a PITA.

I wish I were completely rid of them, but most of the time, if I get one it’s better with Tylenol or Excedrin Migraine (Tylenol, aspirin, and caffeine).

I'm a barometer too. I had a massive migraine for 3days last week, with the pressure below 29..
Hot showers on my head, yes to Excedrin Migraine, advil, aspirin, all thankfully dull the pain, but it's still awful.

newboots

Angel Diva
Migraines are cruel.

For many years I was gluten- and dairy-free, supposedly to get rid of the headaches, but that didn’t do anything. I’ve had good luck with the Vit. B2 and magnesium, but it seems like the effect might be fading a bit, which will make me quite unhappy!

newboots

Angel Diva
@EAVL , there are some truly revolutionary treatments for PTSD nowadays if you can find a therapist who specializes in it. The founder of one of the best therapies, Somatic Experiencing, actually lives in Colorado. But other treatments work very well, too, including EMDR, Cognitive-behavioral therapy, and exposure therapy. (Many therapists say they use CBT but don’t follow the protocols closely. I would recommend someone who practices it in a more “pure” form for a single-issue adult traumatic experience.). Occasionally a fear like this can be dramatically improved in a couple of sessions.

</end psychology public service announcement>

:humble::laughter:

Jilly

Staff member
I had an off morning. Couldn't buy a turn. Picked up my Nordica's from the ski shop last Sunday. They were in for their first tune. As part of a privileges package, you get a tune up. Not sure what they did to my skis, but it was bad. Went home at lunch, came back out with the old Hero's. Really good afternoon. Now to figure out what they did to my skis!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^That is so annoying when it happens. I feel so helpless when I discover, after having the skis in the shop, that I (or rather, the skis) perform badly. I wonder how many people stop skiing because they think it's them instead of knowing it's the tune?

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had an off morning. Couldn't buy a turn. Picked up my Nordica's from the ski shop last Sunday. They were in for their first tune. As part of a privileges package, you get a tune up. Not sure what they did to my skis, but it was bad. Went home at lunch, came back out with the old Hero's. Really good afternoon. Now to figure out what they did to my skis!!
And there you have why I do my own tuning. Had that happen so many times I'm terrified of anyone other than myself touching my skis.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't have any of my tuning equipment here. I might have a 6" ruler....I really trust my local guy and I've had this Tremblant shop do mine a few times....but....and I have all the stuff at home. Time to get them home I guess....

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Quick update: I bought new boots and got myself a proper boot fitting this time ( at least I hope so, given that the guy spent 2 hours futzing with the liner, shell, and buckles) and bought Mermer's book. I have yet to go out again on the hills again ( Family Day here in Canada is crazy!), but am optimistic that, if nothing else, my confidence will get a very needed boost.

Thanks again, everyone, for your advice and words of support and encouragement.

kiki

Angel Diva
Ooof. i was recently referring to my skiing as having a case of the 'shanks.' I took a particularly graceful (actually kind of graceful) fall a few weeks back that involved careening down the mountain on my stomach apologizing to people along the way and breaking a BRAKE off my ski. Woops. SNOWW says i was going very fast so...i'm considering myself lucky. Things are on the upswing though. I had the opportunity to night ski over at Bogus Basin in Boise a few times on toy-like rental skis. It got me out of my head, and i feel much better. Maybe you just need something 'new' to take your mind off of it?
Yes, sometimes a change of scenery or routine helps to get a reset, good luck and hang in there!

EAVL

Certified Ski Diva
I had this happen after a tune too. I demoed my skis and bought that pair. Loved them that day. The shop threw in a tune for me and the next trip out I couldn’t control my direction and they felt like they were trining themselves and I almost had to walk down a green run! A friend of mine luckily had had the same thing happen with her snowboard and told me to have them detuned or the edges ground down a bit. Took them to a little shop here in Frisco and they fixed them in minutes and they have been fine since. They had them too sharp and I felt like they were trying to kill me!

EAVL

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you ladies who responded! I will get the book. I did ski a couple weeks ago with my daughter at Breck and somehow we had some blue runs to ourselves in the morning so I focused on leaning forward and it is much easier. I also skied fast and felt confident on even steeper blues that I sometimes avoid. I noticed as it got more crowded my confidence and good body posture suffered. The next day at A Basin a snowboarder hit me from behind. This is the second time this happened to me! Luckily I wasn’t hurt but I was shaking and could only ski greens after that and after a while it got so crowded I had to leave. My daughter was bummed (she could ski all day) but I was a nervous wreck and it made me so tired too. This weekend I am here in the high country and have found other things to do to avoid skiing. Next weekend I am supposed to ski with a girlfriend who gets me (her BF who pushes her beyond her comfort level broke his ankle so can’t ski right now) and that will be fun as long as no one runs into me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly