• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Losing Skiing Skills in new conditions - tips? advice?

newbieM

Angel Diva
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted some advice/encouragement. This is my first season skiing and I've gotten super lucky and mostly skied powder and lots of snow in Salt Lake. This weekend I went back for a weekend of spring skiing. It was mostly sunny, the snow was mostly crunchy and some slushy snow (apologies if there is a more technical term for this, but very different type of snow) there was also lots of ice in the shade of the trees.

I also got my very own boots and skis - yay!!

So when I left last month, I was doing some blues, parallel turns, still getting comfortable on speed, but overall my fear was decreasing and I thought I was feeling really good. I showed up this weekend and pretty much felt like a totally new skier. I felt like my skis weren't responsive and they were skiing me more than me skiing on them. I just felt pretty dejected. By the second day I felt slightly better but I am wondering if it others have experienced this before? It just felt like learning how to ski all over again, I kept leaning back, my feet kept flopping everywhere.

Here is a clip of me sking, any advice?

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0m5aVbMKC38Q3

Feel free to give me any advice - I know my arms are in the wrong position, I look like i have dinosaur arms.

This weekend got me a bit down and made me feel like I just wasn't going to get any good at this. It was kind of a bummer compared to the high I had last time. On the flip side, it was downright gorgeous and I am obsessed with this new sport and I can't wait to come back next season and continue to grow.

IMG_7597.JPG

Christy

Angel Diva
From what you've written you sound like you are doing amazingly well for such a new skier. It's very normal to have a harder time in more variable conditions. When the snow is great we call that "hero snow", meaning, it's so easy to ski great in. But yeah, ice, slush, etc definitely are harder and require different strategies and technique. It won't be as easy or intutiive. I would suggest taking lessons in poor conditions. For some of us this is a lifelong learning process--even good and experienced skiers keep taking lessons and clinics to help them deal with all of the challenges the mountain throws at us. Where I ski, I don't encounter ice or hard surfaces often, so even after years of skiing I am not great on those.

That all said--you may have seen threads where we talk about spring skiing, and how it can be great...for about 30 minutes (or 2 hours, or whatever). In addition to learning how to ski less than ideal surfaces, there's also the reality that the snow may not be fun all the time. So many of us will look at temps, look at the daily condition report, and decide, I'll sleep in and get there at 10 to let the snow soften; or, I'll ski the north facing surfaces that didn't freeze/thaw as much; I'll stop at lunch when the snow gets too slushy, etc.

I learned to Nordic ski because we take regular trips to Sun Valley and I wanted to have an alternative activity when the downhill skiing wasn't great. Props to people that want to excel in all times in all conditions, from ice to slush. I'm not that motivated.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Thanks! I did take a lesson my second day because I just needed some help and that helped significantly but my instructor was not on the level I wanted and was more just like a ski buddy even though I asked for someone more technical, he offered some minor tips than teaching me technique. But at least he was able to record me skiing which is nice since I am usually solo.

I did try to push myself down some new terrain, which ended up being a bust. One blue had such deep slush i had a hard time committing and the steepness made me freak out so it took me a long time to make it down one slow turn at a time. Another new blue I went on felt way steep and pretty much side slipped down a good chunk followed by one turn at a time and stopping until I made it down. It was kind a brutal and a confidence killer. I do at least know I can make it down most things if I just take it slow but I would definitely not call it skiing.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
I feel like this is a completely normal part of the progression. Personally if I run into conditions that I haven't experienced before and if I don't have a good idea of an outcome I regress considerably in my skiing. It is a combination of technique, skill and recent relevant experience - in my mind. I'm only about a season ahead of you and what has helped me - lessons and time on the snow. This past season I was able to ski a ton (for me) and at least do a clinic once a week and lots of weeks I added a lesson to that mix too. Be patient with yourself and keep at it!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not an instructor, so I won't comment on technique etc, but you have not been skiing that long in the grand scheme of things (is it like maybe 2 weeks total, ever?)--so I think you are doing fine for your level of experience!
Different snow surfaces will feel different for sure. It takes a while to master all the different types of surfaces.
You also mentioned that you have new boots and skis--could that have played into your feeling of struggling at all? Are your boots nice and tight, so that you have good control over the skis? Also, different boots have differing amounts of forward lean which can play into how well balanced you feel---I'm wondering if your new boots felt different than the old rentals and you just have to figure out your balance on your new set up.
Don't beat yourself up because you haven't advanced to where you want to be in a very short time--enjoy the learning process. It's not necessarily linear--you will have days you feel like you can't do anything right and then you'll have days where you feel great and can tell you've made progress.
I've been skiing for years now and I still have days where I feel like a disaster.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@newbieM ... I know when I get nervous I tense up and all my energy comes up in my shoulders, which actually puts me back on my skis... is that what is happening?

The other question...the near miss near the end ... did you see it coming? Is it possible that when you tense up you are looking too close to the fronts of your skis?

(I feel like an ass implying that you would do the same things I do, but since I’m NOT an expert, that’s all I know, is the things that throw *ME* off that i have to consciously work to avoid... )
:hug:

Last question... tell us about your purchases!!?!?!?!?
:banana:

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The technique gurus will be along with actual advice, but I wanted to say that a) it is totally normal for snow conditions to affect technique and confidence and b) that goes double for having new boots and skis.

And if you were in Utah this weekend, I can confidently speculate that the snow was #$%^ after about 9:30.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Don't feel bad: I'm an experienced skier but in yukky conditions I won't spend the $ on a lift ticket! :smile:

I was recently in Tahoe and the snow was extreme hardpack - not quite as hard as ice but not great and of course on the side of the Mtn I like, it's slush by 1pm. I opted to enjoy my day and do something else day 2 - I wasn't paying $150+++ for that!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Also, you are looking good for a novice. It sounds counterintuitive, but perhaps try a more forward stance, shoulders committed to the fall line might help? When I changed equipment, I invested in a refresher course, and my instructor had me reaching forward much more than I usually did (a technique I've now adopted) and to initiate a turn, I pointed one pole as the top point of a wide letter "S" and followed the "s-turns" in succession. After practicing that, I also watched a number of ski technique videos and then began to focus on really keeping my shoulders forward and mentally developing a sense of almost detaching my lower body from the upper making turns.
It takes practice but you will get there!

newboots

Angel Diva
I skied once in the spring my first year and decided that was enough! I was excited about learning to ski and extending the season, but I couldn't get it to be fun. I needed better skills before I could tackle that snow. I thought you looked great for your level of experience! Spring skiing is a different animal. When you have more experience, you may find it enjoyable to struggle through the slush and heavy stuff, seeking that perfect corn. . .

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Echoing everyone else, I think it's totally normal to lose confidence and feel less skillful in bad conditions. There are some runs I just won't do if it's icy or too slushy. Sticky snow is the worst. At least I know how ice behaves, but that sticky stuff just comes out of nowhere. I'll be going along and then suddenly feel like I'm going to fall on my face. Really, the only reason I continue to subject myself to crummy conditions right now is because I have a season pass and have nothing better to do. If I was buying day tickets, forget it!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Ooooh, this also made me wonder, you mentioned new gear... did it just have the factory wax on it? Is it possible (asking the experts) if the thin factory wax just did not hold up to the soft snow? I find grabby gives me anxiety.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And if you were in Utah this weekend, I can confidently speculate that the snow was #$%^ after about 9:30.
The snow last weekend in LCC/BCC was decent for spring skiing all day, but only if you could ski the blues and knew where to look. I was skiing Alta on Sat and Solitude/Brighton on Sun.

My friend who was an intermediate had a pretty good time off the Sunnyside and Supreme lifts all weekend. However, the groomers were pretty firm until 10:30 or 11:00.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the highest temperature wax (up to 45F? I think?) on my skis after encountering the stickiest snow I've ever skied on, and it only helped somewhat. The sticky feeling didn't go away 100%. It wasn't the magic bullet I was hoping it would be. I'm not saying don't bother to get high temp wax, but just keep your expectations reasonable.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The snow last weekend in LCC/BCC was decent for spring skiing all day, but only if you could ski the blues and knew where to look. I was skiing Alta on Sat and Solitude/Brighton on Sun.

My friend who was an intermediate had a pretty good time off the Sunnyside and Supreme lifts all weekend. However, the groomers were pretty firm until 10:30 or 11:00.

Fair enough. Snowbasin seemed to go from faster semi firm groomer to just on the wrong side of corn really early on Saturday. I don't mind skiing in slushy conditions at all but it was a workout.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks! I did take a lesson my second day because I just needed some help and that helped significantly but my instructor was not on the level I wanted and was more just like a ski buddy even though I asked for someone more technical, he offered some minor tips than teaching me technique. But at least he was able to record me skiing which is nice since I am usually solo.

I did try to push myself down some new terrain, which ended up being a bust. One blue had such deep slush i had a hard time committing and the steepness made me freak out so it took me a long time to make it down one slow turn at a time. Another new blue I went on felt way steep and pretty much side slipped down a good chunk followed by one turn at a time and stopping until I made it down. It was kind a brutal and a confidence killer. I do at least know I can make it down most things if I just take it slow but I would definitely not call it skiing.
You've been very, very lucky with snow conditions during your other ski trips to SLC. What you experienced this weekend was typical spring skiing, which is much more complicated. The snow conditions are highly variable even after an hour or two of sun. Often it's not fun for people skiing greens and easy blue groomers until after 11:00 or even not until after lunch. Or if it's a warm night, then the easier terrain that is lower on the mountain can be totally not fun by 2:00 if the temp is much over 40.

Spring skiing is not the best time to explore new terrain unless you've heard from a mountain host, an instructor, or a friendly local that a particular trail is in good shape. It took me quite a few years to learn where to go at what time at Alta. I was lucky to be with friends who know Alta very well. They know when there is not point to start skiing until 10:30. They know which lifts are good for advanced beginners or intermediates. I was an adventurous intermediate when I started skiing Alta regularly in April. I have friends who are intermediates who enjoy Sunnyside after 10:00 on cool mornings, and Supreme once the groomers soften up.

Try to remember the fun of the powder days. If you can find a way to take a few lessons locally during early season, I'm sure you'll have that much more fun next season in Utah.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing to say regarding technique, but spring skiing is hard work, and harder still if you've been used to good/ideal conditions. It is normal to have to adjust and in some cases feel like you are learning from scratch how to ski in different conditions!

Scribble

Angel Diva
Deep slush and refrozen glop can be really disconcerting. Perfectly waxed skis can only do so much!

Realistically, I know that if I just.keep.going my skis will carry me through it, but the little voice in my head argues that the laws of physics will violently malfunction unless I straighten up and slow down. All of a sudden I'll find myself at a dead stop, totally flustered, and my technique and confidence fly out the window until I'm back on the type of snow I'm more familiar with. In the moment, I'll rail against my skis, my boots, the trees, whatever it takes to get enough hackle and bluster to get going again. Coping mechanisms, lol! Later, when I find myself dwelling on it, I remind myself that it doesn't happen because I'm a chicken, its because I lack enough positive experiences in these conditions to carry me through the uncertain moments.

I've signed up for a half day private lesson this week to try to close out the season on a good note. It'll give me some things to Over-Think-About during the summer! :thumbsup:

bumpsbunny

Diva in Training
I'm impressed from your video that this was your first season skiing! I'm not an instructor, but confidence is such a huge part of it. Even if I've been at the top of my game that morning, bad habits sometimes reappear at the end of the day simply because I know I'm exhausted. I definitely know that feeling of not finishing on a strong note or feeling like you're being taken for a ride, and it's frustrating!

Also, I skied Park City/Canyons 35 days this year (from January to April) and I can attest that the combo of slushy and icy conditions were pretty awful. And tiring, so it's not a surprise that you were struggling. I've been skiing around 25 years and felt myself getting sloppy/backseat on more than a few runs. If it makes you feel any better, my friend who used to race as a kid had a few tumbles!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly