• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't see a Loon thread in here, and I didn't see one over in the MA/NH Skiing 2019-2020 thread. Figured I'd post it here since I get usually over 40 days at Loon in a season. Mostly a weekend warrior!

I have gone 8 days to Loon since opening day 11/15/19. All 7 days have actually been pretty great for mostly man made snow. Yesterday was absolute garbage - the warm weather, rain, and freezing cycle we had really wreaked havoc on the mountain. It was like washboard ice with death cookies, giant mud stains, and even random UNMARKED holes in the middle of the trail. For the soon to be Mr. it was a one and done day.

Saturday 12/14/19 most of the lifts were closed due to high winds/rain. They had planned to open South Peak on Saturday but I don't think they did. They also closed North Peak that day, too. We didn't go Saturday due to the rain and warm temps. South Peak was open 12/15/19 and it was a narrow trail of snow down a few of the runs over there.

Fingers crossed for the temps to stay cold. I know Loon is back to making snow on most of their trails this week...I can report back 12/19!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@Olesya Chornoguz and @nopoleskier can give a first hand account from today. From what I saw on Facebook from them today, Loon looks to be recovering really well! Too bad about Saturday, I was at Sunday River and had a really fun day in the rain on the soft snow. Luckily wind holds held off until Sunday up there. I assume you have a New England pass if you are at Loon so much, let me know if you’re ever up at Sunday River!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@nopoleskier and I skied Loon until lunch today. They did recover very well form all that rain, the groomers tilled the trails and broke up most of the death cookies, the snowmaking covered up most of the ice. It was cold and sunny, a beautiful day, snow was edgeable or soft on most of the trails. South Peak was closed today. We skied South Peak yesterday and it had the beast conditions from the whole mountain and no people.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really Liked LOON!! Friday I thought was very nice, Saturday the rain and only 2 lower lifts open kept us off the MT and forced us to shop. Oh darn-I got 2 new coats and @Olesya Chornoguz has some nice new work clothes I love the NO Sales Tax makes for another 8% off for me NYS slams us!

Yes, Sunday was firm, yes death cookies but we found the South side in great shape, no people and most consistent conditions.

Monday was AWESOME! Blue Sky, Sunshine. What a great job by the groomers and snow makers! They did have the guns on lots of terrain but we avoided them all until our last run. I'm looking forward to going back! I'm thinking it warrants a stop on the way home from Diva East :-)

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
12/19: SUPER cold!!! The snow was slooooow. Still fun regardless. No crowds and minimal ice. The gusty winds were brutal and the Gondola was at half speed all day. It blew away a lot of the beautiful snow we got.

12/20: hard and fast!!! Not super busy but busier than Thursday. Had a killer day lapping around. They were blowing on some trails.

I am sure the weekend will be very busy...per usual. I will be here everyday through 12/25 I can continue to update : )

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
12/21: We went early and were happy we did! It was GREAT! The snow was hard and fast. South Peak was garbage - I would avoid till it’s fully open and nice. The whale backs were ice dunes. North Peak was awesome in the morning. Lots of people out and loooots of people taking diggers.

12/22: Not great. They didn’t groom anything but Angel Street. Tons of icy patches even in at 830 am. We called it a day at 10 am cause it wasn’t great. We saw multiple people on sleds already.

I think I will come Monday 12/23, and will definitely be here 12/24 and 12/25. Can report back then : )

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reporting back...

12/24: very firm - boilerplate everywhere. LOTS of newbies on the mountain which made for some interesting skiing.

12/25: soft and warm, it was so much fun!

I am blacked out till the New Year. Happy holidays everyone!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Loon is one of my go-to mountains in the NE bc of the women’s park clinic in March (Droppin In) - we’ve gone each year for maybe 10-15 years now...! Hard to believe. We love heading there. Our daughter goes to ski school, the husband walks up Mount Washington to ski it - and I do the 2 day clinic. I’ll be lurking on this thread til March!

SusannaHar

Certified Ski Diva
Yesterday, first time out of the season. It was cold!! Windy with ice pellets to the face. Hoping some of the snow overnight is soft and not so crunchy. Most of anything was skied off by the crowds by noon, at least towards the bottom where we were skiing. Off to google “death cookies”

Catherine88

Certified Ski Diva
Loon is one of my go-to mountains in the NE bc of the women’s park clinic in March (Droppin In) - we’ve gone each year for maybe 10-15 years now...! Hard to believe. We love heading there. Our daughter goes to ski school, the husband walks up Mount Washington to ski it - and I do the 2 day clinic. I’ll be lurking on this thread til March!
I was just reading about this and wanted to go. Sadly the dates don’t work for me. I’ll be in Banff!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday, first time out of the season. It was cold!! Windy with ice pellets to the face. Hoping some of the snow overnight is soft and not so crunchy. Most of anything was skied off by the crowds by noon, at least towards the bottom where we were skiing. Off to google “death cookies”

Lol, I have too many weird ski related words; death cookies, those frozen chunks the tillers don't break up and if you hit them wrong they can send you flying the wrong way.

Did Loon get some snow today from the storm? Happy New Year, Happy Skiing

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went 1/4 and 1/5 but totally forgot to update. I think y'all will care more about this past weekend...

1/11: Supposed to rain a bunch after noon. We went mid-morning to afternoon, and it didn't rain until last chair (according to our friends who stayed). The warm temps made it super soft and fun. Had to dodge some brown spots here and there. The fog was horrendous - could barely see anything at the summit, so we stayed mid-mountain.

1/12: The fog stuck around and wow it did some SERIOUS damage. My friend who works there said to me "we lost a lot of snowpack...just wait till you go out, you'll see." The entire left side of Sunset (from North) is bare grass. We spent most of our day (12-4) dodging dirt and rocks. No fog, so we had great visibility. It was warmer in the morning so it was soft, but temps dropped rapidly through the day and it eventually firmed up.

This past weekend was the quietest I have EVER seen Loon on a weekend. We couldn't believe how dead it was - which made for fun skiing cause we didn't have to dodge people. We surprisingly had a killer weekend skiing despite the conditions. I know they're going to go back to blowing all the time, so fingers crossed we get some snow this week! They've had a really rough year so far.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So happy to report back that the snow we got this week made a HUGE difference at the mountain!

1/16: POW DAY!!!! It was a little rough around the edges - bumped out by 1030 or so and icy under the bumps.
1/20: We were blacked out the 18/19, which was sad because we got snow on Sunday. It was GREAT yesterday, amazing conditions. There were freshies on the side and the middle was packed powder.

Loon really did some serious work to recover the mountain, and the snow we've gotten really helped!

Zard

Certified Ski Diva
I went to loon last Sunday and the slopes were incredibly icy. I am planning to go tomorrow and hoping that the expected snow overnight tonight will remedy that in advance of the Mass vacation week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly