• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looming Foot Surgery

grlacey

Certified Ski Diva
Divas,

I am facing foot surgery at the end of August. I have too much bone and not enough cartilage in my major metatarsal joint. My podiatrist gave me three options; clean up the joint and hope for the best down the road, partial joint replacement or fusion of the joint. I opted for the first - clean it up and hope for the best. The other two options were way scarier.

Anybody ever heard of these surgeries? Any experience with recovery times etc? Any suggestions for keeping in shape while I recuperate over a longish period of time?

I have a scheduled 6-8 week ski trip starting mid-January and really want to actually be able to ski!

G

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
*hug*

I had foot surgery a few years ago, but it was totally different.

When thinking about staying in shape, there are two critical questions: how long post-surgery until you can be weight bearing, and how long until you can swim?

In my experience, doctors often understate how long it will be until you can do something. For example, skiing. When I had foot surgery, she told me I'd be able to ski in X weeks because the boot would hold my foot rigid. What she meant is, that's the point when medically it's safe. But in the real world, my foot was still far too swollen to actually fit into a ski boot. And that is often how it goes (in MY experience) - clearance doesn't mean that you'll actually be able to do it - just that you won't impact the surgery site if you do it.

grlacey

Certified Ski Diva
*hug*

When thinking about staying in shape, there are two critical questions: how long post-surgery until you can be weight bearing, and how long until you can swim?

In my experience, doctors often understate how long it will be until you can do something. For example, skiing. When I had foot surgery, she told me I'd be able to ski in X weeks because the boot would hold my foot rigid. What she meant is, that's the point when medically it's safe. But in the real world, my foot was still far too swollen to actually fit into a ski boot. And that is often how it goes (in MY experience) - clearance doesn't mean that you'll actually be able to do it - just that you won't impact the surgery site if you do it.

I have been told that I will be able to walk on the foot immediately after surgery. I have also read that, yes, while I will be able to walk after surgery, I probably won't want to! Swelling will be pretty severe for the first several weeks. 4 to 6 weeks post op the doc said I probably won't want to be too active as the swelling can increase pain levels. Rest, ice and elevation are key components post op. Having said all that, I should be able to swim once the stiches are out, 2 weeks post op.

The swelling issue has me worried. The Doc says I will be able to ski in January, but also says the swelling can last for up to a year! I might need more time with my favorite boot fitter. I have had some feedback that ski boots do actually help, if you can get them on.

Thanks for the reply!

G

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
@pinto has had the fusion surgery, as well as a few others who used to post about the experience on the now-defunct EpicSki.com. All experiences with the fusion were pretty positive but I'll let pinto post more.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoops, sorry, just saw this. Yes, that thread on epic was really great ... although it had gotten sooooo long.

I have had two surgeries: the first was supposed to be a cleanup (cheilectomy, sounds like that is what you will have done), but when the doctor got inside, he decided to do a replacement. (Which ended up being an insurance nightmare. Make sure to discuss this with your doctor: mine swore he had prior approval but Cigna didn't agree. We didn't ever discuss replacement before surgery.)

That worked okay for a couple years, but then it failed and things started hurting even worse. My sesamoids decided to join the party, too. So a different doctor removed it and did the fusion. That was a much longer recovery, partly because he had to graft bone where he took out the implant. I was in a plaster cast for 7 weeks. But it worked pretty well. Most of the pain was gone. Sometimes it gets irritated, though, and hurts but all in all it's waaaaaaay better than it was.

Ski boots were always the most comfortable place for my foot, once I got it inside. There are a few boots I can't get into (Salomon, I'm looking at you), but overall it isn't too bad. You should definitely be fine for ski season! After my first surgery, I was on the tennis court (gingerly) in a month? Something like that.

Although foot surgery ... I gotta be honest, it's always a little bit of a crapshoot. Nothing is ever 100% again, although I was way less than 100% before I did it, so I don't regret it. If the cheilectomy doesn't work, you can always do a fusion. But that isn't reversible, so I agree with trying the other thing first. That said, my dad had a replacement about a year before I had mine, and his has been fine. Still, long-term results on those aren't too great.

Feel free to ask anything, I'll try to remember. Unfortunately, I was using epicski to journal it, and now it's gone.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh ... the main advice I have is to literally lie on your back for the first three days, with the foot elevated. If you can keep the swelling to an absolute minimum, you will heal much much faster. With a foot, that really does require flat on your back. And you can put the ice on your ankle, since that blood recirculates through there (and you'll have too much dressing on your foot for it to get cold, anyway).

Don't be fooled by the block for the first 24 hr. You will have little pain, and you will want to walk around or sit up or whatever. When it wears off, you will realize that was dumb. :tongue:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
*hug*

Swimming actually hurts with this one ... maybe using a float for your feet and just using arms? But kicking, ouch.

Bicycling is good, stationary or otherwise. But that will be a while, you really don't want to do anything to make it swell. I did a lot of leg lifts, and used crutches instead of my scooter when I was non-weight-bearing. Rowing sounds good, I think, I never did it though.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which ended up being an insurance nightmare. Make sure to discuss this with your doctor: mine swore he had prior approval but Cigna didn't agree. We didn't ever discuss replacement before surgery.

My doc told me before my knee surgery that Cigna is a pain about this ... I guess they have a reputation.

Oh ... the main advice I have is to literally lie on your back for the first three days, with the foot elevated. If you can keep the swelling to an absolute minimum, you will heal much much faster. With a foot, that really does require flat on your back. And you can put the ice on your ankle, since that blood recirculates through there (and you'll have too much dressing on your foot for it to get cold, anyway).

Yes, this! I bought a foam wedge to elevate my foot, since pillows don't really keep you that elevated.

Also, for all my surgeries (sigh) I have used a Cryocuff. The modern ones have a pump action that both recirculates the cold water and provides compression. I highly recommend getting this with the foot attachment.

Don't be fooled by the block for the first 24 hr. You will have little pain, and you will want to walk around or sit up or whatever. When it wears off, you will realize that was dumb. :tongue:

I apparently was limping all over the place the day of my ACL/meniscus surgery, insisting that the doc had said I could bear weight "as tolerated." (This was ... sort of true. I don't think he meant to include the day of surgery during the block.) The next day, I was in a world of hurt and also worried I'd done some sort of damage. When I later asked my husband why he hadn't stopped me, he said that short of tackling me, there wasn't much he could have done. I was determined ...

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, for all my surgeries (sigh) I have used a Cryocuff. The modern ones have a pump action that both recirculates the cold water and provides compression. I highly recommend getting this with the foot attachment.

Yeah, we have one, too. Seven knee surgeries and two foot surgeries in the immediate family, and it's been loaned it out plenty of times.

grlacey

Certified Ski Diva
Just checking back on this. Thanks for all the input! I went with the cheilectomy option. I am 4 weeks into recovery and so far so good. Surgery day was the most painful. I was dreading the next day, thinking if my pain is this bad today... next day was quite a lot better.

My biggest obstacle so far has been Hurricane Irma. One week after surgery I had to pack up and move out of my house. Fortunately, I was able to move back to my undamaged house very soon after the storm, but the process had me on my then very swollen foot way too much.

I am now out of the orthopedic boot and in regular sneakers. Keeping the foot elevated still most of the time. Doc says range of motion is really good for 4 weeks post op.

Swimming actually hurts with this one ... maybe using a float for your feet and just using arms? But kicking, ouch

I have been in the pool once. Just got the ok to swim from the doc. You are correct, swimming hurts! Way more than I expected. I will try the float angle. Still can't bike for another month. :(

It is scary how much muscle mass I have lost in my legs in 4 weeks! Especially the surgery site leg.

G

Snowpuppy

Diva in Training
Divas,

I am facing foot surgery at the end of August. I have too much bone and not enough cartilage in my major metatarsal joint. My podiatrist gave me three options; clean up the joint and hope for the best down the road, partial joint replacement or fusion of the joint. I opted for the first - clean it up and hope for the best. The other two options were way scarier.

Anybody ever heard of these surgeries? Any experience with recovery times etc? Any suggestions for keeping in shape while I recuperate over a longish period of time?

I have a scheduled 6-8 week ski trip starting mid-January and really want to actually be able to ski!

G
Hi
Divas,

G
hi, I have had 6 surgeries between my 2 feet for arthritis. In my case, cleaning up the arthritis was not an option as it had progressed to the point that it had essentially fused the joint at the first metatarsal and phalange so the surgeon fused that joint on both feet. The operations were very successful in treating my pain and I was very careful to follow the post-op directions (foot propped up above heart, ice, no weight-bearing, etc.) Can actually say I never had any pain following the surgeries. Was told to expect the foot to be swollen for 6-9 MONTHS following surgery and that was exactly my experience. Walking was my go-to for post recovery exercise once I was released by surgeon. Have other problem I am now experiencing but will post separately. Best of luck with your surgery!

ElleJ

Diva in Training
Hi

hi, I have had 6 surgeries between my 2 feet for arthritis. In my case, cleaning up the arthritis was not an option as it had progressed to the point that it had essentially fused the joint at the first metatarsal and phalange so the surgeon fused that joint on both feet. The operations were very successful in treating my pain and I was very careful to follow the post-op directions (foot propped up above heart, ice, no weight-bearing, etc.) Can actually say I never had any pain following the surgeries. Was told to expect the foot to be swollen for 6-9 MONTHS following surgery and that was exactly my experience. Walking was my go-to for post recovery exercise once I was released by surgeon. Have other problem I am now experiencing but will post separately. Best of luck with your surgery![/QUOTE/
What other problems are you experiencing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna