• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for pants

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
A lot of pants have waist adjusters now, so you can let out or take in that area as needed. I'm currently 5'4" and ~118lbs, but last season and for years I was ~137lbs and the same pants fit me then and now due to velcro adjusters on the sides of the waist. Most notably I'm a fan or Northface pants for how they fit my proportions, but there are plenty of others to choose from. Where are you located? Folks might be able to recommend somewhere near where you live or ski to try stuff on. Ski clothing is like any other piece of clothing where some people gravitate towards certain brands that fit them better while others don't work for them at all yet everyone else might love them.

On the bibs, I just got the Flylow Moxie this season and LOVE them! They have a zipper on one side that you pull down allowing you to sweep them to the opposite side and pull down anything else you're wearing underneath to use the restroom. It's hard to explain without a visual, but I can attest to the fact that it's super easy and intuitive once you do it! :smile: No need to remove any top layers etc. I'm not sure that every bib has this ability though, so make sure you look for it in the descriptions or seek out some crowdsourcing if it's something you're ordering online and you aren't sure. I definitely wouldn't get a pair that didn't have this ability, I have a pair of pants with suspenders that don't have an easy out for the restroom and it's super annoying!! I'll usually just avoid using the bathroom if I can when wearing those because I have to take off whatever layers are on top of the suspenders and it takes forever.
Thanks, MissySki! The Flylow Moxies sound great! I will definitely check those out. As for the velcro adjusters, those are unfortunately the bane of my pants. They keep ripping open whenever I bend down, ski hard, or fall. It's bugging the bejeezus out of me. So I'm thinking something with belt loops or a bib might work better for me. Other ideas welcome too!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks, MissySki! The Flylow Moxies sound great! I will definitely check those out. As for the velcro adjusters, those are unfortunately the bane of my pants. They keep ripping open whenever I bend down, ski hard, or fall. It's bugging the bejeezus out of me. So I'm thinking something with belt loops or a bib might work better for me. Other ideas welcome too!

Ahh gotcha, that does sound like it would be really annoying! The bibs are great for taking the waist piece out of the equation altogether. I don't wear belts in general inside or outside of skiing, so I'm no help there. I'm sure other divas will be able to make some further recommendations with that in mind too though!

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have thick calves and duck feet (narrow heels wide foot), and got set up with a pair of Nordica boots.
I also have a long torso and defined waist (I'm chunky, but definitely have a waist) and same height, though I outweigh you by quite a bit. My best fitting outerwear is Obermeyer. I have two Obermeyer jackets and they are the right length for me. I also have a pair of lower end Obermeyer pants, which have an adjustable waistband and fit like a dream. My older ski pants that I still love because they have five pockets and are very warm are 14 year old Columbia ski pants. They also have an adjustable waistband. Wait until the end of the season and you can usually find decent clearance prices.

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
UPDATE: I got the Flylow Foxies and just skiied w/them for the first time on Wednesday. Thanks so much to all of you for ideas and recommendations! I loved them -- realized about halfway thru the day that I handn't been distracted once with thinking about my pants, hearing the velcro rip loose, being annoyed that I had to stop and adjust all my undergear.

My only last question: Is there anything I can do to adjust the length? They are at least 1-2 inches too long, to the point they drag on the concrete when I walk through the parking lot. I can sort of roll them up, and that will work, but I'd love to just have them the right length. People have mentioned ski-savvy tailors in other threads, but these bibs have both interior elastic bottoms and a section of what seems like abrasion-proof material along the last 3-4 inches of the bottom, so I don't know how a tailor would deal w/those things.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
One idea is the reverse of what kid clothes have.

Instead of tailoring the waterproof material, take the fabric inner liner and shorten it by an inch or two? Like the opposite of what Lands End and Spyder have for kids - called growalongs. When you remove the stitches, the whole thing stretches out b/c the waterproof material couldn’t hang to its full length. Could you do that without an expert tailor?

newboots

Angel Diva
If a tailor can handle ski pants, these should be workable. All of my ski pants are exactly like that.

Maybe @geargrrl will do this alteration?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since it's getting into green season anyway, I would send them to an outdoor-gear-savvy tailor.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I'll be interested to hear if you come up with a good solution for the length, I also have the Flylow Foxy bibs and I love them but they are way too long for me haha. The thigh pockets are closer to knee pockets and I have to roll the cuffs up if I'm not in ski boots or they do drag on the ground.

This does remind me that I need to take mine to a tailor soon anyway... one of the thigh pocket zips broke on mine last season (due to being a nudge too small for my phone - the corner of the phone pressed against the zip all season and it finally deformed) and I need to get it replaced!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have the Flylow Foxy and roll the cuffs while walking. They’re fine when in ski boots. I hate short ski pants so be careful if you want them shorter that they’re not too short when in ski boots. I’m speaking from experience with a pair of pants I had shortened!! I’m 5’1 !

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if the Foxies have these (I have the Sirens and they do) but do they have buttons at the cuffs? If so and the pants are dragging while in ski boots, you can snap the cuff buttons tighter which should keep them from slipping over your boot heels. For walking around in snow boots and ski pants, I always roll my ski pants into the elastic cuff to hold it in place so I don't walk on them.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Oh, I'll be interested to hear if you come up with a good solution for the length, I also have the Flylow Foxy bibs and I love them but they are way too long for me haha. The thigh pockets are closer to knee pockets and I have to roll the cuffs up if I'm not in ski boots or they do drag on the ground.

This does remind me that I need to take mine to a tailor soon anyway... one of the thigh pocket zips broke on mine last season (due to being a nudge too small for my phone - the corner of the phone pressed against the zip all season and it finally deformed) and I need to get it replaced!
One idea is the reverse of what kid clothes have.

Instead of tailoring the waterproof material, take the fabric inner liner and shorten it by an inch or two? Like the opposite of what Lands End and Spyder have for kids - called growalongs. When you remove the stitches, the whole thing stretches out b/c the waterproof material couldn’t hang to its full length. Could you do that without an expert tailor?

That works but if you stitch it without sealing it they won't be waterproof.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have the Flylow Foxy and roll the cuffs while walking. They’re fine when in ski boots. I hate short ski pants so be careful if you want them shorter that they’re not too short when in ski boots. I’m speaking from experience with a pair of pants I had shortened!! I’m 5’1 !

When I am working with clients I always have them, fold up what they *think* they want off, then sit down (emulating a chair/chairlift etc) and readjust. It always comes out longer than what people originally thought.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I had bibs years ago- but perhaps they have changed? I hated having to virtually strip to go to the bathroom, but I see that many now have zippers down the sides. Do those work?!
You have to have a drop seat arrangement or side zips that open from the top to undo bibs for pee stops.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
FWIW I look at those Flylow Foxy bibs and every picture I saw they are (purposefully?) way bunched up on the legs like they are tool long for the model. I guess that's the style now?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The side zips work great on the Foxys for bathroom breaks. It might actually be easier than regular ski pants!

Mine are borderline too long even in ski boots, I've had issues clicking into bindings once or twice because the cuff was down over the heel of my boot and I didn't notice, they're ok as long as I have the buckles undone eg while walking around :smile: stops the cuffs from dragging. Once I'm clicked in they're fine, and if I just have shoes on, I roll the gaiters up over the cuffs as well and try to roll the whole thing up so it doesn't drag on the ground anymore.

Maybe being super long is the fashion :laughter: they're very comfortable while skiing though, and bathroom breaks are super easy, and those are the important bits!!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flylow tends to have a more freeride style to their clothes, so a bit more on the relaxed/baggy fit side of things.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Flylow tends to have a more freeride style to their clothes, so a bit more on the relaxed/baggy fit side of things.
The Foxy bib is more on the narrow side IMO. I bought an extra small and it's pretty fitted with a warm layer underneath. Anyone know about the Sphinx? Saw them at Steep and Cheap for under $200.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna