• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Looking for divas to share adaptive skiing ideas.

Skikayaker

Certified Ski Diva
I am looking for divas interested in sharing adaptive skiing ideas in the areas of stand up, bi ski, and mono ski areas for both cognitively and physically challenged individuals.

SaraJ

Certified Ski Diva
Do you have specific questions, or were you generally asking who's involved with adaptive?
I've been teaching adaptive skiing for many years. I have a lot of experience but it's always interesting to hear new ideas.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
My teenage son (5'11"+, 145 pounds) uses adaptive ski services. He is a stand-up skier that has left-sided hemiplegia as well as a dense left visual field deficit. He has a lift under his left binding to help even-out a leg length discrepancy. He had an epiphsyiodesis a year and a half ago on his right leg to stop one of the growth plates, so the discrepancy is slowly reducing.

We would love to get him on the snow more often, but unfortunately the adaptive services where we ski are not available on Saturdays (that is their race day) and we are only there Sat/Sun. He cannot get on the schedule with them every Sunday either due to their load. So excited for our winter break as they have him on the schedule for 2 1/2 days during the week....woot woot!!

He started a couple seasons ago on a tether and then they moved him to skiing with a long bamboo pole He holds one end of the pole with his right hand and does his best to grip with his left, and an instructor skis next to him at the other end of the pole. Another instructor skis behind as a blocker. They rarely use the pole as leverage, just usually prompt him with turns. He has done a few short spots solo, and gets off the lift solo now. He is getting closer to more solo sections, he just needs to build more confidence.

My husband and I are watching, and learning to ski with him, but our comfort level isn't quite where it needs to be yet; we would love some tips from an experienced adaptive instructor. I'm a really good blocker and totally comfortable doing that....so is his twin sister. :thumb:

Skikayaker

Certified Ski Diva
Do you have specific questions, or were you generally asking who's involved with adaptive?
I've been teaching adaptive skiing for many years. I have a lot of experience but it's always interesting to hear new ideas.

Hi back - Yes I would like to just discuss general things and I have a question on how you would deal with a 12 year old autistic boy who will only ski from one groom edge to another. I tried many things and he insisted. I have to go work at YSC this morning - give me any ideas you may have. 2 of us were with him - we stood and blocked where we wanted him to turn and he would go above us or below us and turn. Thanks. Heard you are coming to MT>

Skikayaker

Certified Ski Diva
My teenage son (5'11"+, 145 pounds) uses adaptive ski services. He is a stand-up skier that has left-sided hemiplegia as well as a dense left visual field deficit. He has a lift under his left binding to help even-out a leg length discrepancy. He had an epiphsyiodesis a year and a half ago on his right leg to stop one of the growth plates, so the discrepancy is slowly reducing.

We would love to get him on the snow more often, but unfortunately the adaptive services where we ski are not available on Saturdays (that is their race day) and we are only there Sat/Sun. He cannot get on the schedule with them every Sunday either due to their load. So excited for our winter break as they have him on the schedule for 2 1/2 days during the week....woot woot!!

He started a couple seasons ago on a tether and then they moved him to skiing with a long bamboo pole He holds one end of the pole with his right hand and does his best to grip with his left, and an instructor skis next to him at the other end of the pole. Another instructor skis behind as a blocker. They rarely use the pole as leverage, just usually prompt him with turns. He has done a few short spots solo, and gets off the lift solo now. He is getting closer to more solo sections, he just needs to build more confidence.

My husband and I are watching, and learning to ski with him, but our comfort level isn't quite where it needs to be yet; we would love some tips from an experienced adaptive instructor. I'm a really good blocker and totally comfortable doing that....so is his twin sister. :thumb:
Good Morning
I am teaching this whole weekend and will think of other ideas and get back to you. Where in the country are you located?

Skikayaker

Certified Ski Diva

Good Morning
I am teaching this whole weekend and will think of other ideas and get back to you. Where in the country are you located?
Good Morning

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Good Morning

MA, but skiing at Sunday River in Maine this year. He has done adaptive sessions at Loon in NH and at Wachusett in the past.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna