• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for advice re: first family ski trip

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did daycare for DS in Vail when he was around 7-9 months old, and while *I* was nervous about it (I restrained myself to only calling at lunchtime to check on him), he did great...even napped for them!

m185

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would definately pack a change of clothes to leave at daycare...my kids were 4 when we started and when they started getting better at skiing they were out longer and accidents did occasionally happen!

My kids where pj bottoms or longjohns under their ski pants - if its really looking cold then they'll also wear a thin pair of fleece pants as well. All of us love our smartwool ski socks - we have other kinds but we all fight over the smartwool ones!

Helmets - I would check - not every kids center has these - they should and if they don't I definately would invest in one or rent one. My kids helmets have saved them a few times...and they keep their heads warm. I wear one too and won't ever ski without mainly because it really keeps me much warmer than I think a hat would & I hate being cold!

Also I don't know if you are traveling back & forth to the mountain or not - but we always needed to have snacks in the car as the kids would be so so so hungry after all the fresh air & excitment. We'd just throw some teddygram crackers and milk in the car for the ride back to the hotel! I also got into the habit of packing a few little treats in my pocket in case they needed something I'd have those mini snack size chocolate bars handy. When my kids get hungry they feel the cold more - so during breaks where I'd meet them I'd also use the treats to bribe them to eat something healthy.

My kids loved ski school at 4 - they really do a great job with the kids! Hope you have a great trip!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I would add, too, that Treasures is an amazing facility. You definitely will enjoy ski school there, too. Also, don't worry about hot chocolate! At least if things are the same as they were when I worked there, every afternoon "Mogul Mouse" appears at the base of Morse Mountain with a container full of hot chocolate for all of the guests!

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, don't worry about hot chocolate! At least if things are the same as they were when I worked there, every afternoon "Mogul Mouse" appears at the base of Morse Mountain with a container full of hot chocolate for all of the guests!

Don't forget the about cookies after the Cookie Race. My son still talks about that cookie!!!

alabama girl

Diva in Training
How does ski school work?

I am so excited to hear so many good things about Smuggs! We really looked around before deciding on a vacation there. We moved from Alaska to Alabama and we really miss the cold weather. We are much more of a jeans, sweater, and hot cocoa family than shorts and swimsuits!
We are really excited, and now I feel better about leaving my little ones at daycare and ski school. Maybe my hubbie and I can actually do something fun and ALONE:D.
I was wondering how ski school works? How long does it run and do they take you up the mountain if you're ready? I know Smuggs says you can take the class as often as necessary, but what;s the basic schedule?
I took a class years ago in college during spring break and the class size was over 40 people. I basically learned snow plow and that not very well. We were then turned loose on very icy snow. Needless to say, I didn't have much fun!
I'm really hoping that we'll have a good time skiing as a family.
Thanks to everyone!!!! This is such a helpful and friendly forum.

alabama girl

Diva in Training
One more quick question for everyone. What kind of fleece pants do your kids wear under their bibs? Just reg. fleece sweatpants or pants designed for under ski clothes? Can they wear fleece or flannel jammie bottoms around inside the ski school when they're not outside? I just don't want her to be cold or be the weird kid who isn't dressed like everyone else! Paranoid Mom moment. I also don't want to spend too much on fleece pants she won't wear very often in Alabama, but I think it's going to be really cold when we're there (if the weather keeps up the way it has been lately).

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Smuggs has alot of different options, but basic adult ski shool has two line-ups each day and classes are 90 minutes. I think that lower level adults meet on Morse and higher levels at Sterling, but I could be wrong. In terms of pants, kids stayed in their snow pants inside. At 4 and 5, my kid had long underwear and fleece pants under snow pants -- I loved the polar fleece pants sold by Campmor or by Patagonia. She loved them, too.

I am a Smuggs timeshare owner, week 12 odd years. It is a great place for a family vacation, summer, fall, or winter. They do a fabulous job with the younger kids (and special needs kids), you've made a great choice.

alabama girl

Diva in Training
Trying to find fleece pants is making me crazy!

Ok, so now I feel like I'm obsessing, but finding actaul fleece pants in Alabama is impossible! I can come up with sweat pants that are fleecey (?) inside, and velour sweat pants, but I can't find any actual fleece pants for my 4 year-old. Can she wear the others if she also has moisture-wicking long underwear on? This really is making me insane! I can order 3 pairs of fleece online and rush them here, but is that necessary if she has sweatpants already?
Help - I feel like all the prep for this trip is making me crazy. Am I over-thinking all of this?:eek:

Yes, stop stressing. There is a pretty good on mountain shop at Smuggs in case you need anything. I would opt for 1 layer under snow pants/bibs, and sweatpants sound bulky to me.

Relax, it's gonna be fine! :smile:

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, so now I feel like I'm obsessing, but finding actaul fleece pants in Alabama is impossible! I can come up with sweat pants that are fleecey (?) inside, and velour sweat pants, but I can't find any actual fleece pants for my 4 year-old. Can she wear the others if she also has moisture-wicking long underwear on? This really is making me insane! I can order 3 pairs of fleece online and rush them here, but is that necessary if she has sweatpants already?
Help - I feel like all the prep for this trip is making me crazy. Am I over-thinking all of this?:eek:

Don't worry or stress! I happened to buy some Spyder fleece ski pants at TJMaxx for my 3yo DS this fall, only pair there and his size...no brainer to buy. But they are by no means necessary. All his clothes are hand-me-downs from his cousin, and whatever fleece or sweatpanty type things we got from cousin are what he uses. Just try to get them as thick as possible. I've found kids that young really don't sweat much - so I doubt that'd be an issue, especially if it's cold like it has been. My DS has skiied in jeans under his bib this year, he insisted on it one day...okay...whatever - a 3yo boy with fashion preference...as long as he's warm, it wasn't worth a tantrum! Fashion-wise they are all acceptable to wear in the lodge apres ski...although I haven't skied Smuggs, so maybe they are more uptight lol?

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure that Smuggs ski school has them spending lots of time inside as well so they really don't get the chance to freeze outside. My son only wears a base layer under his bib and I add layers on top with the weather. Even in single digits he has never complained. I say wait and as someone said, Smuggs has a great shop if you really feel something more is needed.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kids are young like yours. I dress them in an Underarmer turtleneck (outlet) and a thermal shirt and their jackets. For their bottoms if it's really cold I put a pair of tights under their long underwear and just their snowpants. They both have the NorthFace Hyvent pants. My son has a fleece attatched to the jacket (REI brand). The most important part is the balaclava. I think it makes all the difference in the world. They have one that is thin on top (believe it or not their heads will roast in those helmets) with polarfleece on the neck part (I think it was SierraTradingPost or campmor).

They also have two pair of everything so we can warm/dry/etc. the one pair.

Oooooh! You're going to have SO much fun!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Alabama Girl: How was your trip to Smuggs? Did you post a report that I somehow missed? Fill us in.

alabama girl

Diva in Training
Update on Smuggs trip!

So sorry this took sooo long! Our lives have been one big round of illnesses and baby teeth since returning from our trip (flu, pneumonia, you name it).

Our trip was wonderful. Thanks to all for the great advice. Our ski socks were fab (smartwool for all of us). I ordered from backcountry.com and they had live chat help for choosing sizes, etc. We waited and bought goggles for the adults at the on-site shop, and ordered my daughter's form ebay. All of the great tips really came in handy - the only item we needed that we didn't get in advance was a balaclava (?) with a mesh top and fleece gaiter for my daughter. Worked great! We are going to buy some better ski clothes this time around now that we know what we need. The moisture-wicking long underwear we bought at Target for my daughter plus fleece pants seemed to work great for her.

As for smuggs, it was wonderful. We actually bought a timeshare (never dreamt we would!) and talk about going back all the time. My husband and I lucked out on ski lessons, and ended up with just the two of us having a lesson from a great guy, Bill, for an hour and half! I actually did pretty well, and fell down a lot less than my athletic husband! :yahoo:

My daughter's ski school experience was mixed, at best. On the coldest day they actually left my daughter's fleece sweatshirt off of her when they went back out for the afternoon class, so we went to talked to the instructor about that, too.The first day she had two instructors, one of whom was awesome and one who was just okay. The next two days the awesome guy was sick, and the younger girl took over. Her personality was just not well suited to the littlest skiers - she seemed to lack the high level of enthusiasm we saw in so many other instructors on the slopes. Other parents noticed as well. But my daughter refused to change instructors (she's like that) and still wanted to go (most of the time). We're hoping our next trip will be better. She did learn the basics (pizza, french fries, standing up, etc.) and is excited to try again.

So we kept an eye on her and checked in a lot. We also talked to the head of the kids' program and let him know our concerns before we left. We were the second parents in that day and we very satisfied with his response. Next time we will act sooner and request a different instructor right away. I must say all the other ski teachers we saw in action were awesome and fun, enthusiastic and patient. Their set-up for beginner skiers is really good and worked well for me and the hubby.

As for Treasures, the daycare, they are amazing. My baby was happy and healthy, and the women were loving, concerned, and very approachable. The daycare is fantastic!!!!:clap: I really didn't worry about her after that first day at all. She loved it.

They still do hot chocolate every other day around the fire pit in the afternoon, and my daughter loved Billy Bob Bear and Mogul Mouse. The food was good and there was a wide range of prices and types. We bought groceries on our way in and mostly ate in our room (full kitchen). It had an awesome gas fireplace and we right off the central area, so easy access and good views. There was a snow fort (big hill with slides and tubes) right outside our door, so great play area for the 4 year-old. My daughter also enjoyed the indoor play ground (the Fun Zone) though it was geared towards kids a little older. She also really enjoyed the snow tubing.

Smuggs is a great family place and overall, we had a great trip and are returning in December for another week. I think skiing had gotten into our blood now!!! MY daughter can't wait to go back and ride the chair lift.:thumbsup:

Mu husband constantly talks about finding new ski places to try, too. He said something about Montana?

We want our girls to grow up knowing a wonderful sport and we think skiing is a good choice.

Thanks again to all of you! How were all of your ski seasons?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for reporting back, alabama girl. Sounds like you had a great trip! :thumbsup:

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: from 2008-09 season

Very good advice for parents of young kids who live in the warm climates in the southeast or Texas. Knowing what warm clothes to get for the first ski trip is not at all obvious.

Families in the mid-Atlantic usually have snow boots and warm gloves for snow play after a snowstorm, even if it melts within a few days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For families just getting started with skiing and all the clothing, outerwear, and gear that goes along with the fun, check out the great info in a blog post by @ski diva from January 2019. A little care before putting things away helps a lot, especially when opportunities to get to the slopes are few and far between.

EIGHT WAYS YOU’RE DESTROYING YOUR SKI GEAR

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna