• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for advice re: first family ski trip

alabama girl

Diva in Training
Hello everyone! I found this site quite by accident and was thrilled! A group of expert skiers who can (hopefully) help me pack the right things for my family's first ski trip. We are all newbies (I went once WAY back in college) and I want to make sure we have the right gear and the right attitude. I want everyone to be warm, happy and have a great time so we can keep skiing as a family!

My daughter will be turning 4 on our vacation and we have her signed up for ski school. We're going to Smuggs in Vermont, and bought her a ski parka and two sets of bibs (Obermeyer - God bless Ebay!). She has wicking long underwear already and we're ordering her snow boots, mittens, gaiter, fleece hat, and a fleece coat from Lands End to layer up while we're there. We also bought her a pair of goggles (Smith Kids Sundance?) and I hope they fit. We're renting adult ski pants and a helmet for my daughter from the store and my hubby and I have our own two-layer Columbia parkas we bought when we lived in Alaska, gaiters, cuddleduds underwear, etc. We're not sure exactly what or how much of it to wear under our ski stuff but we want to be prepared.

Do we need ski socks? I'm thinking yes, but it's confusing. I looked at 2 Pairs of Mile High OTC Kids Ski Socks or Thermastate socks that come with a pair of liners.

Any suggestions about socks or gear that we haven't thought of? Any advice for making her first trip (and ours) really enjoyable?
Thank you so much, ladies!!!:smile:

snowlady

Diva in Training
newbie advice

Don't forget hand and foot warmers! They will save you!!

And, my best advice is don't try and do too much. Take it slow, don't overdo it, and they'll want to do more. If you push them too hard, make them keep going when they're tired, or don't let them take lots of breaks, it will backfire and they'll hate it.

Have fun - sounds exciting! I started my kids when they were 4 and 6 - and those first few years you don't do much skiing, but now at 12 & 9 they just love it - and I'm the one trying to keep up! It's a great way to spend time together as a family - which gets harder and harder all the time.

CAdreaming

Certified Ski Diva
"Do we need ski socks? I'm thinking yes, but it's confusing. I looked at 2 Pairs of Mile High OTC Kids Ski Socks or Thermastate socks that come with a pair of liners."

YES YES YES. You need ski socks.
My first day of skiing, I wore hiking socks and I ended up with blisters at the end of the day. I learned my lesson.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes yes yes on the socks. I give a big thumbs up to the Smart Wool line. They are a bit pricey, (like most product lines focused toward the ski industry) but they are comfortable, and they wick the moisture, which is a key plus for keeping warm.

Don't underestimate the quantity of layers, especially if you are heading for Vermont this long weekend. Temps are forecast for single digits!:eek: Fleece vests are always a good way to add more coverage to the core. My hubby likes to live by the rule, "If your core is warm enough, your hands and feet will keep warmer."

Face masks, or head socks are also a must. Turtle Fur makes great ones. But there are other basic black cotton/fleece versions. They help keep your head warm under the helmet, and protect the face.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2nd handwarmer advice. And for the 'lil one - I'd suggest glove like in the link https://www.winterkids.com/product_detail.cfm?CatID=Brand&PID=1192 (we have an older pair handed down from big sis). My 3yo has tried out a couple diff't pairs this winter, and these have worked out the best. They have little pockets inside for handwarmers (a must, IMO), and a gator for the wrist, with an elastic that keeps them on their coat. Since it's tough keeping gloves inside cuffs, and thumbs in the right hole, I found just putting his hands into these gloves (with thumb sorta there), with a handwarmer works b/c the elastic gator keeps the glove on the coat. Since they don't need poles, they don't need a thumb, so if their hand is loose in there, no biggie - they are still quite warm. My kid (3yo) is a trouper, and the only day he's complained of cold was his first day out, when I put him in cotton socks. The rest of the family only wears Smart Wool socks (another 2nd on that - toots and I have to shop together in the fall lol), but I didn't have any for my 3yo (bad mom). Went out and bought some kid ones right after that, and no complaints since.

When I'm thinking about what to wear, I always think "what would help me survive if I was stuck on a lift for 30mins". Can't just think about how you'll feel when you are hot and sweaty, pit zips solve that problem. There's a cold spell coming.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can buy a whole case of handwarmers at BJ's, Sams or Costo for $20/40 pairs. I just got one yesterday and my son was in :love:
Lands'end is great. My son's coat is from LE and he uses it for ski even though it is not a ski specific coat. It is a waterproof down parka.

alabama girl

Diva in Training
Thank you!

Thank you so much to everyone for all of your advice. I ordered ski socks yesterday (Smartwool) for the whole family and am getting myself and daughter a fleece vest, as well (Daddy already has one).
We're trying to get my daughter really psyched up for ski school and she seems pretty excited. Any advice?
Also, this may seem silly, but what do you wear under ski pants?:snow:

Thanks again!!!!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What we parents wear is different than kids (in my family at least). Hubby and I wear long underwear, performance type (good brands from TJMaxx usually), synthetic (although DH has a nice pair of old silk ones from LLBean). If it's really cold, I'll double up. Also depends on how insulated your ski pants are, I have two pairs with diff't levels of warmth.

My kids ski pants are more insulated, and bigger, so they can fit more underneath. My littlest has these awesome Spyder fleece pants I picked up at TJMaxx - very warm, also other fleece pants he has for regular wear too. My girls (12 & 8) will wear pretty much anything, jeans some days, also will use long underwear, pajama pants, etc.. I wash after every wearing, so we have to be more flexible in case something is dirty. Luckily they are never cold in the legs, it's usually just their hands/feet/neck that get cold. They pretty much dress themselves, we just make sure they have clean stuff to choose from. My 'tween loves to ditch her ski pants and ski boots in the lodge and hang out in jeans and Uggs, every event calls for decent fashion apparently.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless it's near spring skiing temps, I double layer under my ski pants. I hate being cold. So I wear wicking thermal base layer, then something like an exercise pants, sweat pants, or pj bottoms.

Make sure you come back and tell us about your trip!

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also double layer if the temps are under 25 degrees. I wear under armor baselayer, regular fleece pants and insulated ski pants.

ann k

Certified Ski Diva
My almost 4 yr old just wears some type of stretch pants or PJ bottoms under her obermeyer bibs and a turtle neck with sweater and has never been cold (but we don't take her out in single digit temps) and one pair of ski socks. We also haven't done any boot/hand warmers but I'm sure for older kids that are staying out long they would be nice. Most 4 yr olds will only make one hour or two at most. Have a nice trip!

ann k

Certified Ski Diva
As for ski school I don't really have much advice as this is our first season with it. But as with everything, each child is so different. Some kids at this age love it and others hate it. My daughter loves ski school and being with other kids and her instructors but she has a very outgoing personality to begin with. I have seen plenty of kids in tears and not wanting to do it. So just be prepared for anything.

alabama girl

Diva in Training
Thanks for the advice. We're skipping buying handwarmers in bulk for now, I think, b/c we're not going to stay out long. We're just going to toss a few in just in case. As for ski school, we're hoping she'll really like it. She's really athletic (for 4) and very outgoing, too, so here's hoping it goes well. The ski school also guarantees that they'll have fun, or they'll refund the cost of ski school (it was built into our package). So that's nice, even though the lady on the phone said they hardly ever have to give a refund. We've been showing her pictures and videos of kids her age skiing and she seems excited.
I'm more nervous than she is!
I figure if it doesn't go well, we'll just have fun in the snow.
I did have a question about goggles. We bought my daughter some, and think we probably need some, too. There are some on Ebay that range from $10 to $20 and seem ok. We don't need fancy, just serviceable. Any suggestions?

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if I'd buy goggles w/o trying them on first. They should fit right. Even though you don't need expensive/fancy ones, if they don't fit they get fogged up and may not help you at all. Maybe just wait until you get to VT and buy some (?). If you plan to wear glasses under them, buy OTG which are made to fit over them.

Have a great trip, and keep your eye on the weather!

ann k

Certified Ski Diva
I think it would be fine to purchase on the internet or at a local store. Our daughter has kids size goggles from Scott's that were inexpensive and I doubt we ever tried them on first. I'm no expert so I'm not sure what I would be looking for if I tried them on first anyways.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Hi, Alabama Girl: I taught at Smuggs a few years ago and can't say enough about the folks who work with the youngest children. The program for 4/5 year olds is very much like pre-school. Each day starts inside with coloring, building with legos, etc. Then, the kids venture out to a tiny little magic carpet that's about 20 feet long. You can expect your daughter to be outside for about an hour or a bit more each morning and the same in the afternoon. If she has had a good time in daycare or pre-school, then she'll be fine. It's a long day, however, so make sure she's well-rested. And, if she's used to napping in the afternoons, a full day might wipe her out. I have fond memories of the time that I had one kid in my group (he was 5) fall asleep on the side of the trail on Morse Mountain. I skied him down asleep. I'd also supply some extra inner clothing, too. Many kids that age find the cold a challenge to their bladders and the clothing a challenge to get in and out of (even with the help of an experienced coach). Accidents are quite common, even with kids who never have them on "dry land."

alabama girl

Diva in Training
Thank you so much to everyone for the great advice.

And thanks to backcountrygirl for the reassuring words about Smuggs! I hadn't even thought about nap - she does indeed still nap every day, and for a good 2 hours usually. I'm very lucky!:love: She's very social, so I don't worry about that part. I guess maybe I'll pick her up early for a nap.

My husband and I are considering skiing separately since we have a 6 mos old baby,too. I'm not sure about daycare for her (I don't need any sick babies, especially on the plane). We thought we'd each take a morning or two, and then do family things in the afternoon. Will it be miserable doing ski school alone? I'm not very athletic these days (post-baby, and still out of shape). I'm a little nervous about skiing alone, but I probably won't leave the bunny hill!

Thanks again!

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Alabama girl it is not miserable doing ski school alone whilst the family do other things. It is a good opportunity to meet others, in the same boat as yourself, and who will also be practising in the same area. Athleticism is not a requirement for a beginner class - take lessons and work at your own pace, as you are on holiday not boot camp.
If you and your husband progress at different rates you may end up in different groups anyway. You will be juggling the childcare for a few more trips yet as well.
Also, consider taking 2 pairs of gloves for your daughter as kids get them really wet building snowmen, forts and snowball play - it helps to be able to swap while the other pair dries.
Hot chocolates should not be overlooked either - an integral part of a family ski trip!!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto what other Divas have advised, but about the goggles: I would hesitate to recommend buying goggles on ebay, unless you know what brand works for you and you are sure they are the same (and new).

Maybe it's my age, but if I can't see well in variable conditions, I don't tend to ski well. The right size and lenses are so important.

And helmets? Will you rent these? Most of the resort ski schools provide the helmets for the youngsters, but not adults. And if it's really cold, a thin head gaitor under the helmet is important in addition to the neck gaitor.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I are considering skiing separately since we have a 6 mos old baby,too. I'm not sure about daycare for her (I don't need any sick babies, especially on the plane). We thought we'd each take a morning or two, and then do family things in the afternoon. Will it be miserable doing ski school alone? I'm not very athletic these days (post-baby, and still out of shape). I'm a little nervous about skiing alone, but I probably won't leave the bunny hill!

Thanks again!

They have a WONDERFUL day care center. I only wish we had something that great at home! My son went starting at 2 but he would wait every morning by the door and ask to go to Treasures at 6am. We went with friends one year and they brought their small baby there and were VERY pleased. She even commented that it was better than their home day care center.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna