• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for advice on all-mountain backcountry setup!

MTskimama

Diva in Training
(Cross posting this from the Backcountry forum. Apologies if this is not allowed, I just joined the forum!)

Hey everyone, first time posting here but have been reading through a ton of threads and found them all super helpful! Feel extremely lucky that I found this awesome group of similarly adventurous ladies!

I've been a life-long resort skier/snowboarder and decided this is finally the year to invest in a backcountry setup. I've been doing some research online, but feel overwhelmed by the options, so would love any guidance you all can provide.

I'm not yet ready to make a huge investment in a multi-ski quiver, and already have a dedicated resort setup, so I'm looking for something that will be my year-round, all condition backcountry setup. Based on this article that was shared in another thread, it sounds like I'm looking mostly for an All Mountain setup.

I live in Bozeman, MT, so we usually have lots of super light and fluffy cold smoke powder days that stick around for a while, so a powder-oriented setup is likely the way to go. I'm new to backcountry and admittedly a total wuss when it comes to avalanche risk, so although I'm comfortable on super advanced terrain in the resorts, I'll likely be sticking to more mellow, low avalanche risk areas in the backcountry. My husband is also into ice climbing, so I'd also end up using this setup to access some of those climbing areas on a fairly regular basis. I may eventually progress beyond that once I feel super solid with my avy skills, but by that time I'd be ready to invest in a different setup.

I've come across a few different options that seem like a good fit. Would love any thoughts and advice, or other suggestions if you have them!
Blizzard Zero G 95/105
K2 Wayback 96/106
Dynafit Free 97/107
Atomic Backland 98/107
Armada Trace 98/108

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface on binding/boot research, so if you have any recommendations on that as well it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna