• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Looking for a bootfitter in SE Wisconsin

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
HI! This question is for my husband’s benefit, but as many of you may know, some of the mental load aspects of husbands fall to us. If I leave research to him, my inner control freak won’t be happy. LOL.

TLDR: need a REALLY good bootfitter near Milwaukee, need to know if we need to drive to Chicago...
now the details

My husband is solidly middle aged ...had a pandemic milestone birthday and turned something that starts with a 5. ;) He hasn’t skied since we’ve known each other, but probably skied about 20 years ago... this year we decided that it’s something we would all want to do as a family. He’s super athletic so he would be the type of person to ski blues on day 1 returning and be at double black diamonds (esp here in the Midwest) by day 3...EXCEPT...

He has torn BOTH Achilles tendons in the last 10 years. Left in 2012 and right in 2020 (kind of fitting for the year, really) ... Pandemic perk: I returned to skiing and got the kids started this year. BUT because he’s letting the right fully heal before taking on the risk, I’m solo with them. Due to a huge discrepancy in my childrens’ risk tolerance and athletic abilities, we’re gonna need two parents skiing to be able to do any fun ski trips - even with ski school for the 9 year old. AND, the middle schooler has confidence and coordination that I just don’t. I skied down one hill with him, and at the end, he was exhilarated and I needed a tranquilizer. LOL. “Mom, did you see me flip? I totally flipped and ended up on my skis and was able to stand up while I was still going!” Nope.

BUT, I won’t emotionally survive sending my husband and son off to a challenging slope next year unless I know that DH is in good boots ... and I’m CONFIDENT that renting isn’t a good option for him. Aside from the torn Achilles issues, he’s got a size 14 shoe, a narrow foot and a flattish arch. Even if they stock rental 14s, I know they will be packed way too wide for him.

I got my old boots adjusted by a local ski shop when I picked up new skis but got the feeling that they were more transactional than truly fitting... but that may have been the timing/busyness level. Is there anyone here in the MKE area or in WI who could recommend a great bootfitter - like the individual at the store? On other threads I’ve read about one in CHI, but would love to support a more local business if experienced folks have faith in it.

Thank you. All of this is about my anxiety, really. I’m asking now because a) considering having him get fit when things are going on sale soon... b) want to have time to work on husband if we have to plan a drive to Chicagofor ski boots. LOL.

Also, if anyone else’s husband has blown out both Achilles in one decade playing basketball with men half his age, SOLIDARITY! :smile:

(so long-winded...but that’s why the summary at the top)

newboots

Angel Diva
Sounds like you may have explored this:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...egion-usa-eastern-central-mid-atlantic.16792/

It's probably best if the bootfitter is either near you, or near the place where you are likely to ski. Generally, they fit you, then you take them out on the hill, and come back with any needed adjustments/complaints. Often it takes a couple of trips for the bootfitter to get them right.

Best of luck!

marzNC

Angel Diva
TLDR: need a REALLY good bootfitter near Milwaukee, need to know if we need to drive to Chicago...
now the details
How long would it take to get to Glenview, IL? It's in Chicagoland but nowhere near the city like Viking. The Scandinavian Ski Shop is a family-owned shop that's quite good. My brother-in-law and his son get their boots there.

The blurb on Les Moise Inc about boots looks promising in terms of the custom boot fitting services provided. Perhaps call and ask some questions and see how that goes.

Wherever you go, best to call for an appointment.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Sounds like you may have explored this:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...egion-usa-eastern-central-mid-atlantic.16792/

It's probably best if the bootfitter is either near you, or near the place where you are likely to ski. Generally, they fit you, then you take them out on the hill, and come back with any needed adjustments/complaints. Often it takes a couple of trips for the bootfitter to get them right.

Best of luck!

I feel like a stalker, I’ve looked at so many threads. ;)
the jacket slut thread was captivating. LOL. I think it’s up to 119 pages now?

Anyway, the closest one I saw in that thread was Chicago... we love the city but I don‘t know if it makes sense to go there for his boots, since all our skiing will be in the other direction. :smile: THANK YOU for the insight on the iterative nature of the process.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
How long would it take to get to Glenview, IL? It's in Chicagoland but nowhere near the city like Viking. The Scandinavian Ski Shop is a family-owned shop that's quite good. My brother-in-law and his son get their boots there.

The blurb on Les Moise Inc about boots looks promising in terms of the custom boot fitting services provided. Perhaps call and ask some questions and see how that goes.

Wherever you go, best to call for an appointment.

All our other stuff (except my boots) is from Les Moise... they are the game in town here. I’m sad to admit that I hadn’t seen that part of their services blurb (EMBARASSING)... it was such a frenzied experience when the kids and I went that I think we need to go early season when things are calm. They weren’t even doing appointments.

Thank you so much for the tip and the thoughts. I’ll definitely look at Scandinavian if I get a rough feeling for DH from LM.

We do try really hard to spend at local businesses, so either one would be a good bet. THANK YOU!!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Side note to @marzNC ... Turns out Scandinavian’s ski club goes to a lot of the same places we will be skiing. So they could be a great alternative fit.

I’m scared to go to any shop because I want to buy ALL THE THINGS. ;)
Even without going to the shop I buy all the things. Ski shopping in person is a luxury where I am as everything is imported and has additional taxes, so I usually buy from the UK or US and it's cheaper even with shipping...

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Updating with details.
In the SEW area… Les Moise has two locations.
I have had good luck working with Rick in Brookfield and with Joe, who is in Mequon all days BUT Friday, when he works in Brookfield.

both are nice guys who will problem solve, listen and bring nontoxic energy.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband has a broken buckle and we will be hitting the boot fitter in Bessemer, MI on our next trip to the UP in a couple of weeks. ^^ Thanks for the tip. Brookfield is only a couple of hours for us, so if we aren't able to get in with the shop in Bessemer, it's nice to know we have other options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly