• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Long hair, helmets & skiing

newboots

Angel Diva
Even I can do the turned over pony tail! French braiding, OTOH . . .
Now that the instructions are posted, I'll bet I can handle it even without color coding! I have French braided my daughter's hair, years ago, when nothing else would hold it (she had baby fine hair right up into kindergarten). I have sort of French braided mine, but it always looks pretty amateur.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am also all about two braids or ponytails or sometimes a side braid or side ponytail. I find that any hair under my neck gaiter makes me itchy and ornery.

I usually pull a few strands out around my face.

My hair does get a little damaged from catching on zippers or velcro and from freezing. It does not end up in my mouth however.

I actually love the sensation of the wind catching my hair on long fast cruisers.
20211217_131924.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
You look beautiful! I can't imagine why it's not getting in your mouth. Perhaps, unlike those of us with hair-eating complaints, you keep your mouth shut more! :rotf:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You look beautiful! I can't imagine why it's not getting in your mouth. Perhaps, unlike those of us with hair-eating complaints, you keep your mouth shut more! :rotf:
Me? Never. I talk so much I get tired of hearing my own voice.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm going to have to spend my off season learning to french braid my own hair....
My advice is to start with two braids so you can use the mirror to see what you're doing. French braids also work well for other sports, so it'll be a multi purpose hairstyle in the end!

shadoj

Angel Diva
My advice is to start with two braids so you can use the mirror to see what you're doing. French braids also work well for other sports, so it'll be a multi purpose hairstyle in the end!
Ok, I confess, I am actually capable of doing French braids without a mirror, but it isn't super comfortable for my hands/shoulders. Had plenty of practice with horses and other kids' hair growing up, so the muscle memory is there. My mother, on the other hand, never got it down. My sister wondered why none of the other kids in ballet needed to add *both* of their hands into the mix!

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
I am also all about two braids or ponytails or sometimes a side braid or side ponytail. I find that any hair under my neck gaiter makes me itchy and ornery.

I usually pull a few strands out around my face.

My hair does get a little damaged from catching on zippers or velcro and from freezing. It does not end up in my mouth however.

I actually love the sensation of the wind catching my hair on long fast cruisers.
View attachment 17480
I love this look! Also wear my hair in two braids, mostly to keep from getting a giant dreadlock in the back of my neck!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just pull it back in a low pony tail while wearing the helmet, and then slap a cute hat on it after to cover the helmet hair. My hair is straight and fine so it gets flat very easily.
I seriously think we r of same genetic code. Same feet, same hair...lol, I do the same, Low pony, usually wear a thin skull cap while I Ski under helmets, and then a regular hat after.

Djburrito

Certified Ski Diva
oh my goodness i thought i was the only one who couldn't figure out the beautiful long flowing out the back of the helmet hair!! or even the cute, wispy sides coming out the front of the helmet i see a lot of snowboarding ladies rocking. amazing to me how that works. i don't understand! (if you are one of those girls and you're reading this please consider sharing your secrets lol). i like the headband idea and those Skida's are so pretty!! thank you for sharing the link and your comments!
I love this thread. I guess I'm one of those girls with the wisps. I usually do pigtail or ponytail braids, or a low messy bun on warmer days, but with my layers, they always leave me with chunks of hair making their way out so I just started pulling them right when I put my helmet on and just embraced it. I have mid-back, wavy/curly hair but it's fine so maybe I'm just used to the wind always catching it and throwing it in my mouth while I'm off blabbering? :wink:

Does anyone else out there find the ice chunks that get stuck in your wisps hilarious or is that just me?

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Ladies!
I am seeking ideas, help, inspiration or advice: What do you do with your hair (especially long hair) when you wear a helmet and go skiing? Styles, products, etc.? And do you have any secrets that help with 'helmet hair' that is flat/sweaty/frizzy at the end of the day? Thanks very much for any input!
I put my hair in a French braid under my helmet. I find it comfortable and it stays out of my way better than a low ponytail which always seems to fall out.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do you get two braids even? I can do one but when I try two, they never match.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do you get two braids even? I can do one but when I try two, they never match.
First thing for me is getting the parting right down the middle - I go up from the middle of my nose to start it at the front, and line it up with the vertebral process (the bump you can feel in the middle of your neck) at the back. If it doesn't feel like these are even amounts of hair, I redo the part or check there aren't stray bits that have migrated to either side (tie one side up, feel down the parting to see if it is still straight).

If you are finding that the appearance of each side isn't the same, try and line up the height at which you start the braid with an easy landmark such as the corner of your eye. Take all the hair above that start point in your hand before sectioning it into the three parts to start the braid.

Or....just embrace the asymmetry and make it a feature!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a balaclava under the helmet so whatever I do it's going to end up plastered to my head. I have a fantasy that I can whip all the head gear off and shake my flowing tresses to the gasps and admiration of everyone around, but last time I tried I nearly took husband's eye out with a frozen, pointy and oddly rigid bit of hair.

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
I wear a balaclava under the helmet so whatever I do it's going to end up plastered to my head. I have a fantasy that I can whip all the head gear off and shake my flowing tresses to the gasps and admiration of everyone around, but last time I tried I nearly took husband's eye out with a frozen, pointy and oddly rigid bit of hair.
This might be the realest comment I've ever read and I am loving it!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna