• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lodging near Alta

sususkier

Certified Ski Diva
Hello. We are thinking of a late February trip to Alta and Snowbird. Where would Divas recommend staying? Driving to/from Park City does not seem realistic so we are looking at options at the base of Alta including The Goldminer's Daughter. It seems as though most lodges offer a full meal plan which leads me to believe that the dining/apres ski options are limited. Granted, we're going for the skiing, but casual apres ski is always appreciated. Thank you!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Each of the lodges has a bar for apres, and they are comfortable and fun -- but no dancing on the tables, if that's what you are after. :-)

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Off-topic ... I see the moniker "sususkier" and thought, "hmmm, mine should be so-so-skier"!

altagirl

Staff member
If I was going to stay up there, I would probably lean towards staying at the Peruvian (we've gotten in for dinner a few times with groups of friends who stayed there) and it was awesome. The lodging is mostly dorm-style, but I wouldn't mind that. But Goldminer's (GMD) is nice too and I've heard good things about the food. (We eat at the bar plenty often and their pizza is excellent). GMD wins in terms of total convenience, but the walk from the Peruvian to the lifts isn't bad, and you can basically ski back to it if you want.

Really, any of the places up there would be nice. There's not a lot of night life, but there bars at each of the main places are pretty full when the resorts are busy. Not wild, no dance clubs or whatever, but it's more laid back fun.

And the spa at the Cliff lodge at Snowbird is really nice too. I was up there last weekend for a yoga/meditation day retreat thing and we had spa access. The pool on the roof is awesome and they have an awesome eucalyptus steam room.... Of course the Cliff Lodge looks like the Death Star in terms of architecture, but I kind of like it for some reason. Most people seem to hate the way it looks.

The Cliff Lodge is nothing special outside, but it's is really nice inside with a great spa and nice food Expensive though. I was there with my DH who was at a conference held at the Cliff Lodge, and so we got our room for about 30% off and his employer paid for it. Still with the discount, the cost was about $369/nt. + tax! This was in March 2010.

I also found it to be a pain to shuttle to Alta from the Lodge (but you can ski from Snowbird to Alta with a dual resort lift tic which I thought was super cool). And the ski lockers have these tubes that you can put your gloves and boots on and air blows through them to dry them out overnight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's fair to say that the quality of the food at any of the lodges in Alta is pretty high so no one minds eating in the dining room all the time. At Alta Lodge the menu changes every night, so it's not boring at all. While that's my favorite, have known people who stayed at all of the others. Most more than once.

Would not make sense to stay in Park City and ski LCC most of the time. Staying in the city and driving up can work out fine. The risk is dealing with road closures if you are lucky enough to be there for a storm. Of course, can change to BCC or even Snowbasin for a day if renting a car. The advantage is less money needed and there are plenty of good places to eat and drink, assuming you have the energy to explore.

teppaz

Angel Diva
The lodges are convenient but expensive. We usually stay in Cottonwood Heights and do the 15/20-minute drive to whichever resort we're skiing that day. Downside: access is problematic in case of an interlodge, when they close the road. Upside: much lower cost, also convenience if you want more varied food options.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think all the lodges in Alta have dorm rooms for those who are willing to share with strangers and walk down the hall to use the bathroom. Hard to say if there are spots left during mid-season. For apres ski, Alta Lodge does tea and cakes, and has a private "club" upstairs for drinks. I assume the other lodges do something similar.

The description I've heard is that Alta Lodge is more like European ski lodges. Everyone is pretty social. There are no TVs in the rooms. Few people spend much time in their room except to sleep.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The lodges are convenient but expensive. We usually stay in Cottonwood Heights and do the 15/20-minute drive to whichever resort we're skiing that day. Downside: access is problematic in case of an interlodge, when they close the road. Upside: much lower cost, also convenience if you want more varied food options.

Teppaz where do u stay in cottonwood heights?

teppaz

Angel Diva
I'm forgetting the exact address; we rent from a friend of a friend. It's a little closer to Big Cottonwood.

I've stayed at both the Alta and Goldminer's Daughter lodges and each has its plus and minus sides. The Peruvian's bar is a classic rowdy ski bar. In terms of après-ski I'm partial to Molly Green's at Brighton, which has huge windows giving out on the slopes.

AltaBird

Certified Ski Diva
Hello. We are thinking of a late February trip to Alta and Snowbird. Where would Divas recommend staying? Driving to/from Park City does not seem realistic so we are looking at options at the base of Alta including The Goldminer's Daughter. It seems as though most lodges offer a full meal plan which leads me to believe that the dining/apres ski options are limited. Granted, we're going for the skiing, but casual apres ski is always appreciated. Thank you!
I've stayed at Goldminer's Daughter several times, mostly because it's at the base of the lifts and Snowbird is a 5 minute shuttle or ski over. The staff at GM are the best, very friendly and helpful. Food is good and you can have pizza if you grow tired of the 4 course dinners. They also have a happy hour/tea with some nice cheeses and fruit. The rooms are ok, kind of dated but always kept clean. There is also a singles table for dinner if you travel alone. You can eat with a group and get to know others and find a ski buddy for the next day. It really is a laid back kind of place. I always feel at home there. Have fun!

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know when you are going, but I have my timeshare available at the Cliff Club 15-22 Feb....incl access to the Cliff Spa...ping me if you want more info. I usually to 50-60% off the Snowbird rate.

Also, found a great site where you can pick up some deals on timeshares in Park City, Snowbird and few others, it is called Vacation Candy...finally an organized place to pick up deals on timeshares that aren't being used! I'm not a customer of them, but plan to be soon...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna