• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Lessons, season programs and tipping

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm fairly certain from a thread last year that most of the instructors who post on here say that tipping is both appropriate and appreciated. Okay, good...

But more specifically, what's typical, and what's ridiculously small? My boys are in a season long program this year, and I'd prefer to get away with tipping just once at the end. But what if they end up with different instructors every week (or move up during the season)? Also, then do you tip program coordinators and so on?

The group went on an "extra" trip today to ski and I was totally unprepared for when they got back. Since it was an extra event, I'm sure I should have tipped - and no doubt I will run into their instructors again this year and can rectify - but part of the fee of the trip I was told was a "coaches' fee" - so how does that fit in?

I guess I just find it hard to figure out what's right - I mean, you wouldn't tip instructors for Gymboree or ballet classes - you might donate $10 bucks to the "team gift" at the end of soccer season - and I don't want the hassle of remembering to bring appropriate denominations to the ski slopes every single week for 3 different kids!:frusty:

I mean, is even $5 appreciated or is that ridiculous? Adding $20/day per kid could also get ridiculous, if you know what I mean.

So, this is a combination vent, and plea for help and/or clarification...

THANKS!:help::help::help::help::help:

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know every resort is different, but I will tell you my experience....

Kids season-long programs: Just tip once, on the last day of the program. Don't worry, no one expects you to tip every day!! Just tip their regular instructor, or if there is someone who has filled in on a regular basis you should acknowledge them too. I have never heard of tipping the program leader but I am sure it would be appreciated if it's in your budget. As for amount, obviously it varies a great deal depending on how wealthy the family is, but $100 for the season is normal. When I coached kids I got anywhere from $100 to $500 on a local kids to rich kids scale.

With adult season-long programs there is a wider variation but again the majority tip once at the end of the season. Some do tip each lesson. Some take us out to dinner, pay for our lunch on the hill each day, buy us gifts, anything like that.

Overall, it's not the amount, but the gesture that's appreciated. A kids instructor typically makes a very low wage (we adult instructors will not be getting rich anytime soon either!) so every $5 helps. Just tip based on the service you receive (like in a restaurant), and your own means.

Hope this helps!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do individual adult lessons, but I take a lot of them - 14 last year, and I hope for more next year. I tip $10 for a good lesson, $5 for a "meh" lesson. And if they give me a tip that feels like a "breakthrough" to me, I might tip extra.

Tipping is kind of done all secret-handshake like, but I *think* the $10 amount is pretty normal. Again, adult lessons, for a single lesson.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a four-pack of lessons for DS this year (we had a 4-pack last year, too, but split between XH and I). I will probably tip $10 per lesson. It's pretty rare to get the same instructor each time, in my experience, so I'd prefer to tip each time.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all for your help! Tipping in general is just a minefield! First, 20% seems like it has become standard for many industries. Second, more and more industries seem to fall under the "tip" umbrella. Third, for some activities, tipping is expected and no longer an indicator of good or exceptional service - and last but not least I live in an area where the standard of tipping/gifting seems ridiculously high (like everything else here in NJ)...

I will figure out something manageable after your input! Thanks again...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A kid's lesson at Breck is $150 - so 20% is $30 - ouch! Adults are $120, so 20% is still $24.

When I say that $10 seems standard for a good lesson, I think that's influenced by the fact that many of us have the lesson pass, so we are often there almost every weekend, multiple days. I don't know what "one timers" might tip.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in Montana where the pay and tips are probably less than NJ. but, when i teach a program--I ahve a group of women who ski for 8 weeks with me, we ski all day. Most of them give me aobut $40 at the end of the session and I am very grateful for that. For kids programs, i would only tip once at the end of the year--if there have been different instructors, let them work it out among themselves.

I think anywhere from $20 to $40 is pretty much the norm---I have often gotton a $100 tip from some of the women in my group and it is very nice to get it. I keep my tip money in an account and use it for the training and tools like video cameras that I use for teaching.

I don't think anyone should feel the pressure to tip more than they can afford--just give what feels right to you.

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have enjoyed reading all the comments as I will be skiing in Canada in february planning on joining a ski improvement clinic. coming from Australia where tipping is not the norm its been very informative.

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tipping is not the norm where I teach in Quebec. It also wasn't the norm the winter I spent teaching in the interior of BC. Some did tip, but I would say less than 10% of students did. That was for based on what everyone noted - not just my own experience. I know someone who was a guide at Blue River (heli-skiing), and there tipping (a lot) was the norm.

I'm surprised to hear that it's common elsewhere. Those of you who have mentioned amounts - what % of your clients tip you?

Elsbeth

C

CascadeRider

Yes my job is one of the best a girl can have and yes I am a full-time ski instructor. We are paid quite minimally, usually not issued health insurance, and yes we do it for the love of the sport. I do expect to be tipped and usually am tipped $10 to $20 for a two hour group lesson, more for an all-day or private lesson ($20-$50), still more for consecutive programs, $100-$200 for multi-week programs. My job is to keep folks safe, show them a good time, be their concierge, and of course to improve their skiing. I do not use my clients as excuses to play around the mountain; I take their physical and mental conditions into account, adjust to their needs, desires and learning styles. I make it my business to understand the psychology of skiing as well as the physical anatomy of a skier. I act as baby-sitter, friend, and ersatz mother. I carry candy, prizes, hand warmers, snacks, ski wax in my pockets for you, I'll even give your child my gloves to wear because theirs didn't get dry the night before. Training and education, books, ski association membership dues, and equipment are costly. Do you know that I pack out a pair of boots in under two seasons?
So I ask, if you were happy with your or your child's lesson, that you please tip your ski and snowboard instructors at the end of a lesson - it's an investment that comes right back at you.
Happy skiing!

B

B.E.G.

I'm glad Mom of Redheads posted this topic, because I've been wondering the same thing.

I have had three lessons at my local hill, and all were group lessons that ended up being privates due to no one else showing up for that particular level. I've had three different instructors.

Privates are $60 for 1.5 hours. Groups are $20 for 2 hours. So I've gotten 3 privates for $20 each and with more time. So do I tip 10-20% based on the rate I actually paid, or the rate I should have paid if I had signed up for an actual group?? They've all been great instructors and I feel like I've made significant progress with all of them. What do I do?

On top of it, I feel terrible because I didn't have my wallet with me yesterday during the lesson and I was going to tip my instructor, but couldn't find him again after I got back in the lodge and before I had to leave. :(

stilllearning

Diva in Training
This really got me thinking. I'm taking a private lesson tomorrow (interior of B.C) and now I'm wondering whether I should tip (evaino said she did not receive many tips when she taught in this area). I never gave this any thought before. It is also a discounted lesson - I wonder if the instructor also gets less in this case, in which case I would really like to give him a tip - guess it doesn't hurt and would show appreciation!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad Mom of Redheads posted this topic, because I've been wondering the same thing.

I have had three lessons at my local hill, and all were group lessons that ended up being privates due to no one else showing up for that particular level. I've had three different instructors.

Privates are $60 for 1.5 hours. Groups are $20 for 2 hours. So I've gotten 3 privates for $20 each and with more time. So do I tip 10-20% based on the rate I actually paid, or the rate I should have paid if I had signed up for an actual group?? They've all been great instructors and I feel like I've made significant progress with all of them. What do I do?

On top of it, I feel terrible because I didn't have my wallet with me yesterday during the lesson and I was going to tip my instructor, but couldn't find him again after I got back in the lodge and before I had to leave. :(

My advice: don't tip based on the price you paid for the lesson. Tip based on your experience. If you enjoyed yourself and learnt a lot - show your appreciation. Especially in cases of getting privates for $20, wow!! I would say $20 minimum for a good 2hr lesson, more if you felt the instructor was exceptional. Obviously what you can give depends on your financial situation. It's a gesture and instructors appreciate it all.

For a full day group lesson I expect (expect sounds terrible, because it's a bonus not a given, but you know what I mean) $20 per person in general, and anywhere from $40-$80 if I've really clicked with someone and they've had "the best day ever".

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I asked this on epic's instruction and coaching forum and was given 20% as a standard. That's my default at restaurants, but if the service is good or I can tell the server is having a really bad day I tip more; I tip less, sometimes a pittance, if the service is bad or the server is rude (and I don't hold the server accountable if the food is bad; that would be mean).

So, although I was embarassed at first that I didn't know to tip my instructor of a few months ago, I think in retrospect that I would have given him a very small tip, if any; he seemed to enjoy skiing and not paying attention to me unless I called him over to ask questions.

Privates are $90/hour on my hill, so that would be $36 for a two-hour lesson. There are times I can't really afford that, so in that case, assuming the instructor was decent, I'd apologize profusely and promise to leave it for them at the ski school desk the next time I got paid.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the problem with a percentage is the huge variation in lesson prices at various hills. For example, an all day private lesson here costs $599 +12% HST. No that's not a typo!! A regular adult group lesson is $135 + tax and we have a million products in between. Compare that to BEG's $20 group lessons and we have a problem.... if the instructor at the small $20 hill does an exceptional job, why shouldn't s/he be tipped the same amount as the instructor teaching the $135 lesson?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the problem with a percentage is the huge variation in lesson prices at various hills. For example, an all day private lesson here costs $599 +12% HST. No that's not a typo!! A regular adult group lesson is $135 + tax and we have a million products in between. Compare that to BEG's $20 group lessons and we have a problem.... if the instructor at the small $20 hill does an exceptional job, why shouldn't s/he be tipped the same amount as the instructor teaching the $135 lesson?

Geez, I just checked Alta's prices, and it's $540 for 6 hours, but our 2 hour adult groups are much less; beginner and intermediate are $48/half day and advanced is $62. I haven't done a survey, but I suspect these prices are pretty consistent in the four canyon resorts.

You've got a point, mountainxtc. Given the difference in lesson fees, I wonder if our instructors get paid a slightly higher pittance than other areas. On the other hand, government lawyers in other states make more than I do...and I don't get any tips at all!! :rolleyes:

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MountainXTC, you beat me to just this point! First, I have to admit my bias, which is that tipping in general is a subject that just makes me rant. I am on the tipping end, not the getting tipped end, which I am sure colors my opinion. More and more of the "service industry" it seems, is moving into the category of services for which you ought to tip. Except it used to be, tipping "optional." Then, tipping "appreciated." Then, "it is common to tip." Now Litterbug says she hears that 20% is "standard," and I hit the roof! Really? Can't we just determine a value for these services and pay that? I'd rather pay 20% more and not have to think about it, if 20% is so standard that even a mediocre instructor routinely receives 20% just for doing their job in an uninspired fashion. And, offering an instructor feedback through the avenue of tipping is totally meaningless when some people don't tip at all, some people tip regardless because they feel they should, and some people have no idea that tipping is something they should even consider.

So, I kind of think the reverse of MountainXTC's question, and say, why is some resort's $170/hour private so much more expensive than my little hill's $60/private? Is the overall average quality of instruction 3 times better? At least one or two instructors on my hill probably could give an instructor at a big Eastern resort a run for their $$. How much does the resort keep? How much does the instructor get? Perhaps lesson rates should vary according to instructor certification/experience, like at big hair salons? Do you want a certified level 1 instructor? OK, that's a cheaper lesson than if you want a certified level 3 instructor... and so forth.

Last but not least, part of my issue is that many services for which tipping has become standard are "luxury" services to begin with. And the going rate for those services start at expensive and move right on through outrageous, and it's not usually the people performing those services that are getting the bulk of the money. In fact, they are expected to earn a chunk of their salary through tipping. And everyone knows it, which is why the "standard" tip has climbed to 20% or higher. So, adding 20% onto a service that is so expensive to begin with just moves it further and further into the "luxury" category. I have heard people say, if you can't afford to add the tip, then don't buy the service, but if that's the case, increase the price of the service so it's a "real price!"

Rant done.

FWIW, despite my ranting, I do tip, and from what information I can glean, I tip "appropriately"." Between tipping my kids' season-long instructors and the Tremblant lessons they had, I gave close to $700 in tips within the last 9 days! Perhaps that will put my rant in perspective.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you mountainxtc for the season long amount you posted earlier. That's what we did last year for my son's instructor, but we weren't really sure about what to do when the end of the season came. I guess we'll do the same this year!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna