• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lessons on artificial snow: Yes or no?

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Hello, Divas!
This time I am reporting after the trip on the real snow in real mountains. I have made that Alpine ski trip which had been the focus of last year's lessons. With flying colours.
I only had a foggy idea of how real situation was going to compare to my carpet lessons, because I only managed to to get on a real snow hill once before departure. So it was with some trepidation when I pushed off for the first time in Val Thorens , got to the edge of the first incline and...Wow. What happened? All of a sudden, without my thinking, those skis started to behave exactly as I needed them to be doing. I went faster than ever before, and getting down steeper surfaces (never mind what they could be in reality, they felt like something I would not have been able to tackle last year) with more enjoyment than ever before. During the week spent in France I felt better and more confident every day, right to the last day, when I took on a route home that was steep(ish), bumpy, and crowded with other returning skiers. I remember the initial feeling of oh no, I am not going down there, but TBH I was tired and the idea of just walking down skiless did not appeal at all. So I took it on, and could not believe my own senses, how easy and enjoyable it turned out to be.
Please forgive me that bragging tone. I have been struggling with learning to ski since I was 15, meaning it took me 50 years of trials, errors, and new starts. FINALLY, I managed, thanks to the 1. that ski centre, 2. Finally, and for the first time, excellent coaching and 3. the cheering on I have found on this Forum (special mention @liquidfeet ) . Boy, was it a loooooong struggle - but it seems successfully over. Though I am going to continue! And the beauty of French Alps is a great incentive for the next year.
So happy for you

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! Val Thorens is beautiful to ski, and it sounds like your hard work has really paid off. I hope that the rest of the season is good to you.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! Val Thorens is beautiful to ski, and it sounds like your hard work has really paid off. I hope that the rest of the season is good to you.
Thaank you very much.! I was much surprised at the results of those carpet lessons. I hope to do at least one more trip, this time in Poland, in late February, unless of course we have another lockdown. All the best wishes of a good season to yourself!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Final reflections.
Getting to the place I am now regarding skiing must have been the hardest thing I have ever done. I had to not just learn a new skill, but unlearn losts of wrong stuff, and also plenty of negative beliefs about what I can and cannot do. It feels very odd and I wonder if the change I am feeling will produce more changes? Perhaps? For one, it feels VERY rejuvenating at my age of 66 :smile: . Anyway, it was all SO worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thanks for sharing in this drama and cheering me on!

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, so MUCH terrain. My friends say you do not take rides there, you do a voyage. And wherever you turn, the beauty is breathtaking.

Exactly - you get up in the morning and decide where you're going to eat lunch, because it's going to take that long to get there. I remember leaving Meribel one morning with our guide and got back at 6pm from Les Menuire as they kept shutting down the lifts on that side of the mountain. It was a beautiful ride up from St. Martin de Belleville in the dark.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I can't refuse myself the pleasure of exhibiting this beautifully parallel turn, after so many months of not being able to keep those skis together:yahoo:

I promised to publish the results, while so many of you were cheering me on and sharing good advice. Quite special thanks to @liguidfeet, who was my remote teacher and guardian angel.

And yes, my question as in the thread's title has been answered. Yes! to lessons on a carpet. While actually skiing on snow is best, the carpet makes it possible to keep taking ski lessons throughout the whole year. Otherwise - not a chance!

And to finish off the numbers: it took about 100 lessons to get where I am today. And I will keep going. After all, winter is near and snow is in sight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna