• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lenz Heated Socks

Lexie

Diva in Training
Looking for feedback on Lenz Heated Socks. Looks like both the 1.0 and the 5.0 are used for skiing (although on the Lenz site it states that 5.0 is best used for ski)
I Use to have hotronic insoles but after 6years the cord connecting the batter to the unit broke.
Thanks!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Six years is a pretty good lifespan for a heating cord crammed into a ski boot, seems to me. To replace the heating element/cord on Hotronics is only $50, and it's really easy to do. The 5.0 version of Lenz socks costs $400 full retail.

I don't know anything about heated socks, but I wonder about cleaning them--how does that work? Also, what about the sock thickness impacting boot fit--how would you know exactly how thick/thin the socks are? (I have *very* snug-fitting boots, and I installed my Hotronics myself, using a dremel tool to file down all of the areas where the wire and heating element sat on my footbed. That way, all of the excess bulk added by the Hotronics was accounted for and didn't change my boot fit at all. I would worry about a heated sock adding volume to my boot fit).

Also, are there wires in the sock? Can you feel them, especially on the bottom of your foot?

Sorry, I don't mean to be unduly negative; I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of a battery-powered, heated sock, which I clearly know nothing about. I will be interested to follow the responses here and to see what others' experiences are. Im looking forward to learning more!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for feedback on Lenz Heated Socks. Looks like both the 1.0 and the 5.0 are used for skiing (although on the Lenz site it states that 5.0 is best used for ski)
I Use to have hotronic insoles but after 6years the cord connecting the batter to the unit broke.
Thanks!

You know you can get new components for the Hotronics, right? New cords, new batteries, everything My cord has worn through and I've replaced it (more than once) without a problem. And I agree with @SallyCat -- six years is a pretty good run!

Lexie

Diva in Training
You know you can get new components for the Hotronics, right? New cords, new batteries, everything My cord has worn through and I've replaced it (more than once) without a problem. And I agree with @SallyCat -- six years is a pretty good run!
@SallyCat
Thank you both! I didn't even think about trying to order replacements. My batteries and charger are still in great shape, just ordered heating unit, cord, and insole covers! so much cheeper (obviously)

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can say for a fact that the Lenz heated socks will take up room in your boot. I ordered a pair last year in anticipation of a very cold ski trip. They cost about $380.00 since I wear a child-size boot and sock. Being that I have a low volume boot to begin with I selected the thinnest style from the Lenz collection. ( I always wear the thinnest wool ski sock I can find). Well, the socks simply took up just enough room to make my feet numb in about three minutes. I tried them on inside for this very reason; I suspected they would be too tight in the boot.
I returned them.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have some heated socks, although they must be the 1.0 version because they weren't $400! Even the thin version is pretty thick, I use them in boots that are packed out a bit. I like them but boot heaters are better. The nice thing about socks is that you can use them for other applications, such as snowmobiling, cold football games, etc.

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone own the Lenz with larger calves? Looks like the men (unisex?) sizing is better for wider calves?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot has some, maybe she can weigh in.

My daughter and I both have Lenz socks, but we have scrawny calves and are both quite tall (5’9” and 5’11”) and size 9.5/10 women’s shoe; we bought the men’s slim. I contacted Lenz to ask them what model they felt was best for us, so perhaps that would help @patoswiss ?

mustski

Angel Diva
(I have *very* snug-fitting boots, and I installed my Hotronics myself, using a dremel tool to file down all of the areas where the wire and heating element sat on my footbed. That way, all of the excess bulk added by the Hotronics was accounted for and didn't change my boot fit at all. I would worry about a heated sock adding volume to my boot fit!
Damn lady, you are pretty bad a$$! I don’t even know what a dremel tool is! :clap:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have some heated socks, although they must be the 1.0 version because they weren't $400! Even the thin version is pretty thick, I use them in boots that are packed out a bit. I like them but boot heaters are better. The nice thing about socks is that you can use them for other applications, such as snowmobiling, cold football games, etc.

I agree, they do take up a lot of space in boots - worked great in my boots that are too roomy, but I am finding that space is precious as I ponder a new perfectly fitting boot. To get the best boot fit I may need to keep my heated socks for soccer games, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, etc and break down and get boot heaters. Sigh. It's ever evolving......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly