• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Leg pain

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Hello, I have had some pain on the lateral side of my L calf for weeks now. I originally thought maybe a stress fracture but after talking with people, more people seeemed to think tendonitis. As time has passed I would say it’s definitly possible.

The pain comes and goes and is definitly felt with certain movements. Releasing my flex on my boot hurts pretty bad. As does walking in ski boots. Just normal walking usually doesn’t bother me but once in a blue moon it does. Squats hurt. Etc. do you think it could be tendonitis? I have skied more hours this year than I have for the rest of my ski career so I am sure there is way more stress on my muscles this year. Someone recommended KT tape but I have yet to get much relief. I have tried a few different taping ways to see if it made a difference but no luck. Has anyone had similar pain and success with KT tape?

I am sure I need to rest, but how can one rest when they have so much to learn and get down before heading out west?! I do ice it occasionally and take ibuprofen when the pain is bad and I want to ski or have to work. Just looking for maybe some other suggestions because I am tired of this annoyance!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have been suffering with this for several years. 2 rounds of PT and now working with a personal trainer. Recent ski accident flared it up again. Here's 2 good videos,

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
Have been suffering with this for several years. 2 rounds of PT and now working with a personal trainer. Recent ski accident flared it up again. Here's 2 good videos,

Thank you! I hope we don’t have the same thing :( 2 years?! Thank you so much for the videos. Definitely worth trying because I want my leg back to normal! Tired of this and at this point it’s not getting better or worse so I am taking the assumption that it’s fine and that rest isn’t necessary.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope this isn't what I have. My initial injury was due to a snowboarder getting on the tail of my right ski and pulling my leg. In order not to fall I braced my left leg and probably got a good twist. I tried on new ski boots that afternoon and remember complaining about an odd pain just above my ankle bone. I skied on it the next couple of days and was getting shooting pain up the side of my leg. I took the next 3 weeks off for Christmas break then resumed skiing - with pain. By early March I couldn't walk without pain, was limping, decided to go to PT. I spent 4-5 weeks in PT, improved but didn't finish out the ski season. PT thought I was good enough but said if I got worse go back to PT.

While I didn't get worse, I didn't get better. Riding my bike hurt my ankle, specifically clipping out of my clipless pedals. Walking on uneven surfaces or walking barefoot hurt. Finally, by mid August I realized I needed to do something because I wasn't getting better. I went to a different PT. He was much more aggressive than the first had been. Said my ankle was frozen. He also discovered that I favored my left leg so much that I wasn't using it much. One of my exercises was to do lunges. I couldn't perform them on the left side without hanging on to something.

By Nov. I still wasn't out of pain. My entire body was going downhill so I signed up for semi-private lessons at a local gym. My trainer confirmed what the PT said. I was not using my left side. My central nervous system had shut down on my left side. Lots of single leg work, strengthening the glutes, etc. helped me to recover. In retrospect, that 1st winter with my trainer I should have spent more time working with him and less time trying to ski. I would have recovered much faster.

This was my 1st pain free season. Was using my left leg to turn, enjoying powder and exploring the mountain again. Finally skied yesterday after 3 weeks off after accident. Fortunately, the strength I have gained kept the injuries from getting worse. Working with my trainer during the off time was a huge benefit.

I also learned learned how important shoes are. Since I have a high, rigid arch I need a shoe with neutral or soft arch support. I couldn't wear many of my shoes because they were too supportive and causing me to supinate.

If your pain continues definitely get it checked out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna