• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Left foot problems - seeking advice

knolan12

Angel Diva
Hey Divas,

It's my second day of the season skiing and it seems like I'm having issues with my left foot. It's falling asleep BUT I know it's not my boots cuz this is a new problem haha

I have a herniated disc on the lower left spine area and it's generally been under control through a weekly pilates class. However, I have noticed that my left leg/foot is much weaker than right side. While skiing, I can feel my ankle and outer left foot being tired much more quickly and not having as much as when turning compared to my right. On the last couple of runs, I could feel my toes falling asleep.

I'll play with my buckles and I'm sure my form could use some improvement. I tend to turn always to the left anyway as that's my stronger side haha It does feel like my foot is a little bit more swollen though at the top of the base of the toe area.

Any thoughts, advice, etc? Both on how to keep this foot awake for the next 1.5 days skiing and how to strengthen this side of the body overall?

ETA: I'm also already skiing in compression socks (CEP, so they fit my calf too)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Have you seen a PT? I was having foot problems and our amazing PT gave me exercises that have worked wonders.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How are your footbeds?
Are the compression socks new?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Way too many possibilities to guess here. It could be a foot issue. Myfootused to go dead if the neuroma was acting up. Or Raynaud’s. Or a pressure point. Or nerve issues emanating from the disc. Or scoliosis. You need a professional look see.

Good to know the Pilates has been helping. We get a lot of people in the studio with back issues. Joe Pilates skied!

knolan12

Angel Diva
How are your footbeds?
Are the compression socks new?
Footbeds are custom and new as of last season. The socks I was wearing today are new, but yesterday the ankle was bothering me as well and I've worn those socks plenty (also CEP socks)

knolan12

Angel Diva
Way too many possibilities to guess here. It could be a foot issue. Myfootused to go dead if the neuroma was acting up. Or Raynaud’s. Or a pressure point. Or nerve issues emanating from the disc. Or scoliosis. You need a professional look see.

Good to know the Pilates has been helping. We get a lot of people in the studio with back issues. Joe Pilates skied!

Fair point and glad to know he skied! It made all the difference in the world with my back flaring up, hasn't happened for months :smile:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fair point and glad to know he skied! It made all the difference in the world with my back flaring up, hasn't happened for months :smile:
I just taught an online class! When I am up north, I only teach online. For the rest of the year I teach both online and in the studio. Teaching is keeping me sane while I’m working through my calf injury.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If it’s only your second day of the season, could it just be your feet getting back used to being encased in ski boots? I always have some weird foot pain/numbness the first few days of the season in one foot or the other. And it changes from season to season. Like I had none of this when I got my boots new right ahead of last season as I was wearing them in the house etc. Then this season my right foot was super unhappy the first few days and then fine after that again. I attribute it to being barefoot or in flip flops for most of the offseason and my feet needing to relearn to relax in a rigid boot with arch support when it’s time to ski again.

knolan12

Angel Diva
That is a fair point @MissySki! I work from home and basically exist in soft bottomed slippers haha I've just noticed that this side is weaker in general with exercise now (not noticeable in daily life) so figure this might be related to that. I'm heading back out in a bit so will have to see how it's feeling!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second @MissySki post- My feet always cramp, hurt, go numb and hate being in boots after a summer of sneakers and sandals. I usually unbuckle the lower buckles to give more room to the toe box. I hate messing with my buckles but it provides relief- Once my foot gets used to being in the boot the pain goes away takes a few days though-

Your weak leg- everyone has a strong and weak side (well most everyone) You may be late in the turn, leaving that foot back to far or skiing a bit in the back seat will cause thigh burnout- I think @MissySki posted on tip lead- check that out. FOUND IT: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/what’s-up-with-tip-lead.27368/

Good going on getting everything stronger to be a stronger skier and with more time on snow it should all come back, after all it's only a couple days you've been out- HAVE FUN!

MissySki

Angel Diva
That is a fair point @MissySki! I work from home and basically exist in soft bottomed slippers haha I've just noticed that this side is weaker in general with exercise now (not noticeable in daily life) so figure this might be related to that. I'm heading back out in a bit so will have to see how it's feeling!

I work from home now too, so I totally get it. I'm barefoot right now at my desk in fact lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna