• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lech in February

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
Heading to Lech with DH at the end of February and hoping snow conditions improve. We will get the Arlberg Pass so will have access to thewhole mountain range. DH is an advanced intermediate/advanced and I am an expert skier. Would appreciate any recommendations-runs, guides, restaurants!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Have a great time. Lech/Zurs are on my list for Austria ! I have skied Bad Gastein and Kitzbuhel though......

elemmac

Angel Diva
I’ll be there the last week of February and into the beginning of March. We might be there at the same time!

I’ll throw a few tips out there from when I was in the Arlberg in 2017…so keep in mind things may have changed since then. Last time we stayed in St. Anton for a week, and only really got to see from St. Anton to Lech (with only a little of Lech), we didn’t make it to any of the small areas in the north. This is why we’re heading back and staying more centralized in the region. While our focus will be seeing the areas we didn’t see much or any of (Lech, Zug, Warth, etc), I’m sure we’ll hit a few favorites on the south side as well.

A few recommendations and thoughts on the southern parts of the resort:
- There’s only one route between Zurs and Lech. It’s a red route than can be often closed for avalanche danger after new snow. Getting from Lech to Zurs involves a couple lifts (and a T bar)…a bit challenging to map out, but doable. We didn’t do either of these routes when we were there due to timing, so I can’t speak of their difficulties from experience. We ended up taking the bus between the two towns, which was really easy.
- As noted above, the bus routes throughout the Ski Arlberg towns are easy and convenient if you get stuck at the end of the day, or want to start in a different town, sometimes a bus is easier than trying to navigate the trail system.
- Steuben and Rendl were two areas that were mostly uncrowded, despite some crowds in the busier towns/lifts. However most of their lifts are slower fixed grips (probably why they stay uncrowded). If you don’t mind slower lifts, I really enjoyed both areas. My husband and I enjoyed Rendl enough to name our dog after it.
- If you’re looking for an apres scene (or even if you aren’t) , the Krazy Kangaroo and Moserwirt in St. Anton are quite the experience.
- We generally found a restaurant in whatever town we were in to eat lunch…everything we found was amazing. I don’t really recall any of the names specifically, but if you want more detail, I could probably find them on a map.
- There’s a restaurant in St. Christophe with a slide to the bathroom, which was pretty cool…food was good there too. With a little Googling, I’m sure you could find the name pretty quickly.
- We’re staying in a little hotel, and similar to last time, they include dinner so I don’t have much experience on that side of things.
- Taking the tram to the top of the Valluga is well worth it for the views on a bluebird day. We didn’t go to the lookout on the very top (via the 5 person gondola), but might this time around for the experience.

Good chance I’ll think of some other things and hoping to hear some more recommendations from the hive here.

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
This is all great info! We only have dinner the first night, and the we are changing hotels b/c they didn't have room until the next day. We arrive Feb. 25 and leave March 3, taking the bus from Zurich on arrival, and car service back (the buses didn't work with our return flight ). We'll probably hire a guide at least one of the days-we found that super helpful to orient in Zermatt. My husband lived in Austria a million years ago, so he's pretty fluent in German. Love the bus transfer idea! And the slide to the bathroom...Good info on the red trail between Lech and Zurs and the less crowded areas. We last skied in Austria over 20 years ago at Solden with terrible snow conditions.

Did you find there was a lot of traversing? I had wrist surgery at the end of October, and the doctor told me today to be careful about pushing too much on the flats-that's where I'm liable to be in a lot of pain without the full recovery yet.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Quite the coincidence, I’ll be there from the 25th to the 4th. Flying in/out of Innsbruck with a day on each end. Haven’t actually booked travel from Innsbruck yet, but will most likely be doing a private shuttle since we have a group of 6, it’s only a hair more expensive than taking the train.

There was some traversing here and there, but not what you would expect from an area of that size. I snowboarded last time (and will likely again this year), and I only recall one specific location when going from St. Christoph to St. Anton where the traversing was flat and long enough that I needed to I strap to skate. Any flatter areas you should be able to skate on skis with minimal poling.

There are a decent amount of t-bars scattered about, not sure how those would affect your wrist. But might be something you’d want to consider when planning you ski routes.

We are considering doing the Ski Area Check
https://www.skischule-lech.com/en/area-check
@sibhusky had mentioned this to me over in SkiTalk. She and her daughter got lucky with being the only English-speakers, so basically got a private guide for the day. Might be a good option to look into too.

elemmac

Angel Diva
We'll probably hire a guide at least one of the days-we found that super helpful to orient in Zermatt.
Curious if you ended up booking a guide ahead of time? Or figuring it out when you get there? Any tips based on your research thus far?

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
Tip: it's hard to get restaurant reservations at the popular restaurants! I want to make some reservation for the on mountain ones, as I did in Zermatt, but not sure where we will be skiing since I don't know the mountain.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna