• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Least hyped ski you've loved

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was the Voelkl Bridge popular? They were my first 'fat' skis and I loved them. I also loved my Elan Magfires, they are way too short for me but I still have and ski them 10 years after buying.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Bridge was popular in some areas, but not really hyped. Funny that you should mention it, my first powder ski was the Völkl Karma at 86mm That's more like a daily driver today.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SnowHot
I'm thinking I had the same surprise reaction to the Cheyenne at a demo day yesterday in NH. Was not expecting much, but was kind of wowed.
Me - 64 (but trying to ski younger) advanced (skiing for 42 years -great technique but slowing down to more groomers after aging and injury), 5'5", 120 lb, short legs. Demoed the 156 and felt like a kid again - so much fun and quicker than the R15 would leave you to believe, and seemed to hold an edge well underfoot by bending, not by brute stiffness (although we had a tad of warmth, so not our typical ice) and handle the small slush bumps in spots. A tad worried about being able to go fast enough with confidence.....???? when I can let em run - did not get that opportunity or and in really icy conditions.
Is there a difference between earlier years and the current 16/17 in construction (it appears that there is per realskiers and other info, although dimensions are the same - and have you been on both?? compare and contrast??
I was surprised because I had not like BP in the early years - also demoed it in 159 later in the day yesterday and was not that kind of fun - kind of planky - perhaps too long?? or I was tired?? A (younger, fitter, expert) ski friend about the same size - perhaps a bit bigger and longer legs loved the BPs a few runs earlier.
Also did not get a chance to do Super Joy to compare....
And now SkiDiva has brought up the Renoun 77 - any idea on that as a comparison to Cheyenne other than $$$$$$$$ ????
Looking for mid 70 waisted New England front side ski that is not too much work but versatile......

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@canski RE: your questions.
  • A tad worried about being able to go fast enough with confidence.....???? when I can let em run - did not get that opportunity or and in really icy conditions. They are plenty stable enough for a majority of recreational skiers out on the slopes. I only found its limits at an extreme speed, which is something I don't normally do
  • Is there a difference between earlier years and the current 16/17 in construction (it appears that there is per realskiers and other info, although dimensions are the same - and have you been on both?? compare and contrast?? There is a slight difference in construction. They added a bit of carbon to the ski to improve the swing weight but (honestly) I didn't feel a ton of difference when I skied these. Still a winner in my book
  • And now SkiDiva has brought up the Renoun 77 - any idea on that as a comparison to Cheyenne other than $$$$$$$$ ???? Wellllllll, there is really no comparison other than they have a similar waist width. I've been skiing the Renoun. Where the Cheyenne is a fun carving ski that excels in nearly every condition except powder with a ton of pop and fun, the Renoun is smooth, and though it will perform great for a timid skier, it really shines when you get on it and push it to its limits. That is where the Renoun will reward you.
Which ski you choose depends a lot on what you want to do and what you want to get out of it.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SnowHot Thanks for the quick reply. I am not a timid skier, but maybe i just prefer a fun ski more these days (had just come off the Kastle MX74 which was smooth & stable, but not 'fun' except when letting it rip down an easier intermediate trail (although conditions were firm for the first hour).
Might have to do a full day demo on a more typical day on the Cheyenne. But thanks for confirming the fun & versatility I felt. And I ain't getting any younger! Fun is good as long as it can handle the ice.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hrm. Unless you're competing, isn't the goal always for the ski to be fun? And fun is just defined differently for different people?

Then again, "playful" can be a double edged sword.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SnowHot Thanks for the quick reply. I am not a timid skier, but maybe i just prefer a fun ski more these days (had just come off the Kastle MX74 which was smooth & stable, but not 'fun' except when letting it rip down an easier intermediate trail (although conditions were firm for the first hour).
Might have to do a full day demo on a more typical day on the Cheyenne. But thanks for confirming the fun & versatility I felt. And I ain't getting any younger! Fun is good as long as it can handle the ice.

Could you define what you mean by fun.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@canski I couldn't agree more. The older I get the less I take things seriously.

@Obrules15 and @bounceswoosh the definition of fun is relative.

Both the MX74 and Cheyenne are fun.
The MX is really fun to carve beautiful turns on groomers, and inspires you to zip around, think Forumla 1 Race Car
The Cheyenne is super fun to carve groomers but also inspires you to seek out little poppers to catch small air and seek out bumps. Think Subaru WRX Rally Car.

Both fun fun fun, for very different reasons.

I'd say the Renoun is more like the MX in its feel, but also has a calmness to it that makes me feel like I'm a super hero and can't do anything wrong, so I do more.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh Getting and keeping an edge on East Coast ice usually requires a stiffness that can negate some or all of the fun factor - survival is key. Finding both would be a jackpot.
@Obrules15 For me, fun means OMG playful, making me smile while the skis dance & handle what is front of them without making me work TOO hard or feel too planky & stiff when you don't need them to. These had a real fun factor.
Gotta check things out more on ice & at 'my' higher speeds (slower as I age). Not a fan of chatter, which often comes with fun - a balancing act.

Jilly

Staff member
I skied today with one of SkiBam's friends that is on the Cheyenne. First, they are too short for her, but she doesn't think so. But that tip is just flapping around on the hardpack here. She's off to see about a Dynastar Intense 12 for tomorrow. So it might be OK for snowy groomers, but not for the ice here in the east.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Obrules15 and @bounceswoosh the definition of fun is relative.

Absolutely. I read posts sometimes from people who like skis that absolutely demand full attention and a lot of power. This seems like an odd choice to me. It would seem less fun. BUT then I think that skis I used to love now feel too ... vague? They are easy and comfortable to ski, but not as fun anymore. So maybe it's just another level of that same feeling. I imagine that racers get used to a certain level of exactitude, and are more willing to pay attention because even a little vagueness (my word) drives them nuts.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sure wish I could demo the Cheyenne, MX74, Super Joy, and Renoun Z77 in the proper size (156/158) in typical (not perfect) somewhat icy & pushed up piles all on the same day!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got to demo the Cheyenne on icier day - NOPE! Especially on steep ice. I could ski them, and get an edge, but could tell that it was not quite enough ski for the situation - held me back. Oh well.

Jilly

Staff member
Yup. Having watched one of SkiBam's friends on those last week. In fact she bought a pair of Atomic Redster's after demoing them twice.

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
So far my Volkl Yumis have performed well at Whiteface, very playful and full of pop, but hold onto an edge on hardback like a bulldog! They give me confidence! I am a lightweight, and not super aggressive, though, still have a surfy style left over from snowboarding. I think these skis will help me progress, the fun factor with these skis is a ten!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Least hyped/most loved: Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden, last of a long-running, great line of women's skis from Dynastar that began in 2005 with the original Exclusive Legend.

I have 2 pairs, 2011 and 2013, and will NOT relinquish these, as they are the most "dragon-slayer" skis in my (small) collection, in terms of being able to do it all and well (for where I ski - east).

They have made press with Ski Canada mag in years past, but I only remember seeing them in Ski once. No matter. Will baby these forever.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Least hyped/most loved: Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden, last of a long-running, great line of women's skis from Dynastar that began in 2005 with the original Exclusive Legend.

I have 2 pairs, 2011 and 2013, and will NOT relinquish these, as they are the most "dragon-slayer" skis in my (small) collection, in terms of being able to do it all and well (for where I ski - east).

They have made press with Ski Canada mag in years past, but I only remember seeing them in Ski once. No matter. Will baby these forever.

I am new to the Dynastar Exxlusive Legend Eden fan club. My sister has skied the 2011 (full camber) version for years in VT. In 2015 I bought my daughter the 2013 (2012/2013 have Exclusive Rocker which appears to be tip rise/minimal rocker) and she had loved it. I just skied them for the first time last week and WOW. Thanks to @MaineSkiLady letting me know, we just grabbed another longer 2013 pair on eBay for $130! Now we will own both the 165 and the 172....will be interesting to see if we each gravitate to a different length, or if we battle over one, lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly