• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Learning to ski in mid 40's?

Christy

Angel Diva
Honestly I don't think it matters that you didn't play sports and don't think you are coordinated. Or that you didn't grow up in a snowy country--I have friends from India who had never been on snow at all but are really good skiers now! My own extremely unscientific observations make me think that the way you are built and your innate sense of balance are more important.

I learned at 37 and took lots of lessons. I was not a natural but I had fun and still do though I will never be the best skier on the mountain. This is me just thinking out loud but I also wonder if learning mid-40s is any different than learning at any other adult age. Maybe 21 would be easier but I don't feel like it would have been much different had I learned at 30, or if I were starting now, at 53.

Take a lesson and see how you like it! Just a beginners group lesson is fine--you don't need an expensive private lesson as a beginner, though if the money is no object, why not. Women's groups are more fun. :smile: Report back!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Note that I'm not an instructor. I'm an older skier who didn't start taking lessons regularly until after age 50. By then it was clear I would be skiing more with my daughter, as well as looking for opportunities to ski with adult friends. My husband of 30+ years is a non-skier for assorted reasons.

Based on my experience and a discussion on another ski forum a while back, skiing 7-12 days a season is enough for most adults to be able to enjoy skiing on groomed trails without thinking too hard. I think of such people as advanced beginners or low intermediates depending on how adventurous they are. It helps tremendously to take at least one lesson during each multi-day ski trip or do a multi-week lesson program for 4-6 weekends one season. My idea of an intermediate is someone who is comfortable making parallel (not a wedge) turns on most blues in the region they ski the most. Needless to say, a short blue in the mid-Atlantic is not the same as a long blue good for cruising for 10-15 minutes (with stops to enjoy the view) at a destination resort in the Rockies.

To go beyond the intermediate level and start skiing off the groomers, that's pretty hard to achieve without about 20 days, with one longer trip to a big mountain with 5+ days on snow.

While most people who live in the east or midwest choose to fly west, spending a ski vacation slopeside in the northeast while taking a few lessons can work too. Assuming someone is willing to get out on the slopes even when snow conditions or weather isn't optimal. There is a saying that goes something like "there are good conditions and conditions that are good for you." People who can ski blues in the northeast can easily adjust to skiing blues in the west. I learned that first-hand as a teen who learned in the New York Adirondacks when I was lucky to have a chance to ski a few days at Alta in Utah during spring break. Based on only two seasons, I was able to enjoy skiing green/blue groomers out west as a working adult who only did a ski trip every 2-3 years.

For a parent who learning as an adult and is also the primary organize ski trips with kids, it makes a difference if the kids are happily engage at ski school or skiing with others at times in order to allow the parent time to focus on a lesson or practice without distraction. It's a bonus if there is another adult (spouse or friend) who is a better skier willing to be a ski buddy for a few runs. Not for teaching technique, but for company on the lift and providing support in the event of a fall.

A story . . . Naomi Wain was a regular guest at Alta Lodge for about 50 years. She was a Californian who learned to ski as an adult. I was lucky to have skied a few runs with her one day after she turned 90. At some point, perhaps in her late 70s or 80s, she asked the ski school to match her up with an instructor for a Private Lesson. When the instructor met up with her for the first time, she told him point blank that she didn't need or want a lesson of any type or even a guide. His job was to follow her anywhere she wanted to ski and to be available to help in the event that she fell. I have a feeling she didn't fall often at that stage and she wanted to keep skiing in deep powder when it was available. Getting up in powder is difficult and takes a lot of energy. The instructor, JW, told the story at a celebration of her life at Alta Lodge a year after she passed away at age 93.
I love this story. Thanks for sharing it.

OldGreyMare

Diva in Training
I registered just to tell you that i am 55 and will put on skis for the very first time later this month, followed by a weeklong ski holiday in February which I can't wait to enjoy! Being able to ski down a mountain, in the midst of beautiful scenery and nature, has always been my lifelong dream but life always got in the way. I don't really have natural athletic ability and didn't do sports as a kid. So you are definitely not alone! And we can do it! :thumbsup:

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you!! This is all super helpful information.

For us, we just can't be bothered to deal with flying, and especially since the kids are still small and are fine with the smaller mountains. We try to make a 3/4 days ski trip once a year, and then a few weekends throughout the season. If I can get to the level where i am comfortable on the greens and beginner blues in a few years I would be super happy!

Note that I'm not an instructor. I'm an older skier who didn't start taking lessons regularly until after age 50. By then it was clear I would be skiing more with my daughter, as well as looking for opportunities to ski with adult friends. My husband of 30+ years is a non-skier for assorted reasons.

Based on my experience and a discussion on another ski forum a while back, skiing 7-12 days a season is enough for most adults to be able to enjoy skiing on groomed trails without thinking too hard. I think of such people as advanced beginners or low intermediates depending on how adventurous they are. It helps tremendously to take at least one lesson during each multi-day ski trip or do a multi-week lesson program for 4-6 weekends one season. My idea of an intermediate is someone who is comfortable making parallel (not a wedge) turns on most blues in the region they ski the most. Needless to say, a short blue in the mid-Atlantic is not the same as a long blue good for cruising for 10-15 minutes (with stops to enjoy the view) at a destination resort in the Rockies.

To go beyond the intermediate level and start skiing off the groomers, that's pretty hard to achieve without about 20 days, with one longer trip to a big mountain with 5+ days on snow.

While most people who live in the east or midwest choose to fly west, spending a ski vacation slopeside in the northeast while taking a few lessons can work too. Assuming someone is willing to get out on the slopes even when snow conditions or weather isn't optimal. There is a saying that goes something like "there are good conditions and conditions that are good for you." People who can ski blues in the northeast can easily adjust to skiing blues in the west. I learned that first-hand as a teen who learned in the New York Adirondacks when I was lucky to have a chance to ski a few days at Alta in Utah during spring break. Based on only two seasons, I was able to enjoy skiing green/blue groomers out west as a working adult who only did a ski trip every 2-3 years.

For a parent who learning as an adult and is also the primary organize ski trips with kids, it makes a difference if the kids are happily engage at ski school or skiing with others at times in order to allow the parent time to focus on a lesson or practice without distraction. It's a bonus if there is another adult (spouse or friend) who is a better skier willing to be a ski buddy for a few runs. Not for teaching technique, but for company on the lift and providing support in the event of a fall.

A story . . . Naomi Wain was a regular guest at Alta Lodge for about 50 years. She was a Californian who learned to ski as an adult. I was lucky to have skied a few runs with her one day after she turned 90. At some point, perhaps in her late 70s or 80s, she asked the ski school to match her up with an instructor for a Private Lesson. When the instructor met up with her for the first time, she told him point blank that she didn't need or want a lesson of any type or even a guide. His job was to follow her anywhere she wanted to ski and to be available to help in the event that she fell. I have a feeling she didn't fall often at that stage and she wanted to keep skiing in deep powder when it was available. Getting up in powder is difficult and takes a lot of energy. The instructor, JW, told the story at a celebration of her life at Alta Lodge a year after she passed away at age 93.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For us, we just can't be bothered to deal with flying, and especially since the kids are still small and are fine with the smaller mountains. We try to make a 3/4 days ski trip once a year, and then a few weekends throughout the season. If I can get to the level where i am comfortable on the greens and beginner blues in a few years I would be super happy!
Makes perfect not to fly to ski when you can drive with the whole family in one car. I didn't take my daughter (only one kid) until an opportunity to meet up with old friends came up for a late season trip to Utah.

One question: are you using rental boots?

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Makes perfect not to fly to ski when you can drive with the whole family in one car. I didn't take my daughter (only one kid) until an opportunity to meet up with old friends came up for a late season trip to Utah.

One question: are you using rental boots?
Previously we always rented, because we would only go 2x a year each time 2to3 days, so we would just do a 2-3 day rental at the resort. But from this year, my husband finally invested in a pair of skis, and he loves them! The kids and I will do season rental at the local shop. Hopefully, if I make enough improvements this season I can get my own skis next year :smile: exciting!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Previously we always rented, because we would only go 2x a year each time 2to3 days, so we would just do a 2-3 day rental at the resort. But from this year, my husband finally invested in a pair of skis, and he loves them! The kids and I will do season rental at the local shop. Hopefully, if I make enough improvements this season I can get my own skis next year :smile: exciting!
It's not the skis that will make the most difference, it's having a pair of boots that are properly fitted. When I was only skiing one trip a season every few years as a working adult, I didn't own skis. But I always owned boots. They weren't the best but they fit far better than any pair of rental boots.

My friend's son has done a seasonal rental for boots for a few years since he was still growing. Better than 1-off rentals for just a long weekend, but still not the same as if he had his own boots. I invested in boots and skis for my daughter after a couple years doing a seasonal rental. We were skiing often enough that I had my own boots and skis by then. Started by getting lucky at a ski swap in the fall. After that we bought gear at a local ski shop. They would take trade-ins when a kid outgrew boots or skis if they were still in good shape.

The Gearipedia section is a good place to start learning about ski gear.

Warning: Ski Divas are enablers when it comes to buying stuff related to skiing. :smile:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not the skis that will make the most difference, it's having a pair of boots that are properly fitted.
^^This.
Rent skis. Buy boots. Yes, boots are expensive. But the ski boot is the most important piece of gear you'll own. Skis are aftermarket attachments.

The boot, in order to control the ski, needs to fit your foot's anatomy like a glove, so that your foot's movements are translated to the ski. Otherwise you are skiing without full control of the skis. A "snug fit" gives you that control, and that sometimes takes customization by the bootfitter (which will be included in the price when you buy from a real ski shop). Without a good boot fit, you will find controlling the skis to be difficult.

You are used to comfy snowboard boots. Ski boots are very different. Trying them on in the shop will be an eye-opener. Do not try to get a comfy fit when you first try on boots. A "snug" fit will feel comfy once any needed customization has been done. You will be shocked how tight these boots can be and still be comfortable. A good bootfitter can do this for you, if you insist on a performance fit and if you are open minded towards tolerating a snug fit and spending real time with the fitter.

You may not want a performance fit though. You may be able to get by with a "recreational" fit. But please avoid buying boots without a bootfitter, and please be sure you don't buy a "comfort" fit. These are what most casual recreational skiers choose. And they wonder why they can't ski challenging trails. They never realize it's the boots.

All this to say it's the boots you need to invest in first. Not the skis. Rent skis. Buy boots. Should be a bumper sticker.

newbieM

Angel Diva
^^This.
Rent skis. Buy boots. Yes, boots are expensive. But the ski boot is the most important piece of gear you'll own. Skis are aftermarket attachments.

The boot, in order to control the ski, needs to fit your foot's anatomy like a glove, so that your foot's movements are translated to the ski. Otherwise you are skiing without full control of the skis. A "snug fit" gives you that control, and that sometimes takes customization by the bootfitter (which will be included in the price when you buy from a real ski shop). Without a good boot fit, you will find controlling the skis to be difficult.

You are used to comfy snowboard boots. Ski boots are very different. Trying them on in the shop will be an eye-opener. Do not try to get a comfy fit when you first try on boots. A "snug" fit will feel comfy once any needed customization has been done. You will be shocked how tight these boots can be and still be comfortable. A good bootfitter can do this for you, if you insist on a performance fit and if you are open minded towards tolerating a snug fit and spending real time with the fitter.

You may not want a performance fit though. You may be able to get by with a "recreational" fit. But please avoid buying boots without a bootfitter, and please be sure you don't buy a "comfort" fit. These are what most casual recreational skiers choose. And they wonder why they can't ski challenging trails. They never realize it's the boots.

All this to say it's the boots you need to invest in first. Not the skis. Rent skis. Buy boots. Should be a bumper sticker.
This. This is I think exactly what my current challenge is.
So much great advice on this thread!

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
I had a guy at Thanksgiving this year who was 65 who took a lesson with me. He said he lost a bet with his granddaughter -- he either had to bungee jump or learn to ski. He did great in our lesson and was crusing the bunny slopes later that weekend. Age is just a number, and it will help that you have an athletic background.

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
^^This.

Super helpful advice thank you!

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Had never been on skis (other than cross country) and learned at 46 when I moved to Colorado. It's become a passion.....go for it!!! :D
Can I ask, how many seasons did it take for you to feel comfortable on the slope? I should say, start doing parallel?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can I ask, how many seasons did it take for you to feel comfortable on the slope? I should say, start doing parallel?
The time it takes to get to parallel is different for each individual. Depends on so many factors. Don't make decisions based on predictions on how long it will take to do X.

It's all about enjoying the journey, not reaching the end. Skiing offers the opportunity to build skills indefinitely.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The time it takes to get to parallel is different for each individual. Depends on so many factors. Don't make decisions based on predictions on how long it will take to do X.

It's all about enjoying the journey, not reaching the end. Skiing offers the opportunity to build skills indefinitely.

Hear, Hear! Absolutely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing