• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Learning to ski in mid 40's?

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas,

I am wondering, did anyone start skiing in her mid 40's, or know someone who did?

Background:
I grew up in a country where ski is not very common. In my mid 20's I learned to snowboard because of friend's influence.
My husband loves to ski and now my children are starting to ski as well. I can keep up with them but sometimes it's awkward to be the only snowboarder in the group (no one wants to wait for me to put on my straps after getting off the lift!). I am starting to think maybe I should pickup ski as well, but Im wondering how difficult it is to pick up this activity for someone who is not very good in sports and not very coordinated. If anyone has learned to ski in mid 40s, or has taught someone or know someone, please share your tips!

Thank you.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. I started at age 53 when I left flatland in the midwest to move to New England. No problem. I suspect there are others.

I became a ski instructor and taught people of all ages, many of whom were beginners. My oldest total beginner was a 63 year old man who married his high school sweatheart after his wife of many years died. This high school sweatheart had been a skier all her life and ski racer in her teens and young adulthood. She said yes to his proposal on one condition: he had to learn to ski and go skiing with her on weekdays.

I rode the chair one day with a vibrant woman who couldn't stop talking about how fun it was to ski. She told me she was on her second season. She was 53. Her goal was to ski 40 days that season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yes. I started at age 53 when I left flatland in the midwest to move to New England. No problem. I suspect there are others.

I became a ski instructor and taught people of all ages, many of whom were beginners. My oldest total beginner was a 63 year old man who married his high school sweatheart after his wife of many years died. This high school sweatheart had been a skier all her life and ski racer in her teens and young adulthood. She said yes to his proposal on one condition: he had to learn to ski and go skiing with her on weekdays.

I rode the chair one day with a vibrant woman who couldn't stop talking about how fun it was to ski. She told me she was on her second season. She was 53. Her goal was to ski 40 days that season.
Oh my goodness, I love those stories!!!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I learned the basics of how to ski when I was in my 20s, and I was adequate/basic at best. I then took a 20ish year break. During the winter of 2020-21 I wanted to give my kids outdoor winter fun in our cold climate, so we started skiing together. I’m on my third “real” season of skiing in my late 40s. I’m more cautious than my kids but we get to have fun together. As an existing snowboarder, I think you’re way ahead of me, so YES YOU CAN!!!

brooksnow

Angel Diva
You may be surprised how much your snowboarding helps you learn to ski. You understand sliding and edging. You're way ahead of the game.

I suggest you get a lesson to start and ask for an instructor who also snowboards so they can relate what you already know to what you're learning. There are lots of us out there who do both.

It is so much easier to ski with beginner skiers than it is to snowboard with them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi Divas,

I am wondering, did anyone start skiing in her mid 40's, or know someone who did?

Background:
I grew up in a country where ski is not very common. In my mid 20's I learned to snowboard because of friend's influence.
My husband loves to ski and now my children are starting to ski as well. I can keep up with them but sometimes it's awkward to be the only snowboarder in the group (no one wants to wait for me to put on my straps after getting off the lift!). I am starting to think maybe I should pickup ski as well, but Im wondering how difficult it is to pick up this activity for someone who is not very good in sports and not very coordinated. If anyone has learned to ski in mid 40s, or has taught someone or know someone, please share your tips!

Thank you.
Welcome! I know of people who have switched from boarding to skiing when they were over 40. Has become more common in recent years. Even boarders who were better than intermediate in their 30s can find that skiing as a senior is more fun and less work.

My friend who grew up in China started to ski at the same time as her kids when they were ages 4 and 6. She absolutely loved being out on the snow. She was quite willing to take as many lessons as necessary to learn the basics at our home hill in northern Virginia. From the start, she was willing to ski solo at times so that she could practice. By the time she took the kids out for their first trip out west, she was able to ski the easiest blue during her first lesson at a destination resort in the Rockies. She was pushing 40 when she started. While she likes running, she's not particularly "sporty." Learning to swim when her kids were learning was quite hard for her. She's become a solid intermediate in the last decade while only skiing 10-15 days a season.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Here's something that may be helpful: January is Learn to Ski & Snowboard Month, and a lot of ski areas are having special deals to teach people to ski. You might want to check your local hill to see if they're participating in this.

Jilly

Staff member
I used to teach a Ladies Night ski program at our local hill. There was a lady in the group that had decided every decade she was going to try a new sport. She was turning 60 and decided it was going to be skiing. We took it slow, but she fell in love with sport. At the end of the session I told that I had been in school with her daughter and son....

Find a ladies only lesson program to learn without DH and kids. You need to learn at your own rate and comfort zone.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Way to go! You can totally do this. You already know how to snow board - it means you are comfortable on the snow, know how to ride a lift, understand terrain, etc. YOU SO GOT THIS!!

I learned to ski in my 40s. I’ve never done any snow sport so it was all foreign to me. I took lots of lessons and ski mostly alone but I absolutely love it. I feel so lucky to have added this to the list of things I know how to do and the feeling of skiing is one of a kind. I am so excited to say that I’m a skier. Keep us updated on your journey! As others said I would focus learning on your own without the family pressure.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try skiing with an instructor. Be open to not finding easy. As a ski instructor and mediocre snowboarder I tend to think that skiing is easier to learn.

However, I have taught a mom in her 30s who was never able to get the hang of it and went back to her board. This winter she joined us on the tool she used in her early 20s and was beaming as she comfortably rode single blue runs with the rest of her family on skis.

We are all different and trying new things with an open mind will let you decide which sport you prefer.

As for the age part of your question I would argue that you are still too young to even ask! Go enjoy the challenge of being a learner again! It helps us have empathy for others when we go out of our comfort zone and remember how hard but also rewarding it can be to try something new that interests us.

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you ladies soooo muched! I loved hearing your stories and personal experiences. Now Im so pumped! My husband told me to just stick to snowboard as he thinks it's hard to pick up the sport at my age (but Im guessing he doesnt want to wait for me as a beginner?) but I'm going to ignore him lol
I can't wait for our next ski trip!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Kissmark at the end of the day it is supposed to be a holiday, and fun, for all family members. Do what makes you smile! Ski lessons one day, boarding the next, tea by the fire another day. It is you vacation!

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome! I know of people who have switched from boarding to skiing when they were over 40. Has become more common in recent years. Even boarders who were better than intermediate in their 30s can find that skiing as a senior is more fun and less work.

My friend who grew up in China started to ski at the same time as her kids when they were ages 4 and 6. She absolutely loved being out on the snow. She was quite willing to take as many lessons as necessary to learn the basics at our home hill in northern Virginia. From the start, she was willing to ski solo at times so that she could practice. By the time she took the kids out for their first trip out west, she was able to ski the easiest blue during her first lesson at a destination resort in the Rockies. She was pushing 40 when she started. While she likes running, she's not particularly "sporty." Learning to swim when her kids were learning was quite hard for her. She's become a solid intermediate in the last decade while only skiing 10-15 days a season.

I actually have a follow up question. We ski maybe only 6-10 days a season, do you think it's hard to learn/improve with this amount of skiing each year?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone is so different.

Some of my students barely ever improve. Some have learned in their forties and now go heli skiing in AK. Most of my students take about a half day to a full day to go back to where they last left off the prior season or ski trip and continue to improve with each day. It may not always feel that way when the snow is extra challenging though.

Not many sports allow us to take such a long hiatus and continue to build on our knowledge from our past season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I actually have a follow up question. We ski maybe only 6-10 days a season, do you think it's hard to learn/improve with this amount of skiing each year?
Note that I'm not an instructor. I'm an older skier who didn't start taking lessons regularly until after age 50. By then it was clear I would be skiing more with my daughter, as well as looking for opportunities to ski with adult friends. My husband of 30+ years is a non-skier for assorted reasons.

Based on my experience and a discussion on another ski forum a while back, skiing 7-12 days a season is enough for most adults to be able to enjoy skiing on groomed trails without thinking too hard. I think of such people as advanced beginners or low intermediates depending on how adventurous they are. It helps tremendously to take at least one lesson during each multi-day ski trip or do a multi-week lesson program for 4-6 weekends one season. My idea of an intermediate is someone who is comfortable making parallel (not a wedge) turns on most blues in the region they ski the most. Needless to say, a short blue in the mid-Atlantic is not the same as a long blue good for cruising for 10-15 minutes (with stops to enjoy the view) at a destination resort in the Rockies.

To go beyond the intermediate level and start skiing off the groomers, that's pretty hard to achieve without about 20 days, with one longer trip to a big mountain with 5+ days on snow.

While most people who live in the east or midwest choose to fly west, spending a ski vacation slopeside in the northeast while taking a few lessons can work too. Assuming someone is willing to get out on the slopes even when snow conditions or weather isn't optimal. There is a saying that goes something like "there are good conditions and conditions that are good for you." People who can ski blues in the northeast can easily adjust to skiing blues in the west. I learned that first-hand as a teen who learned in the New York Adirondacks when I was lucky to have a chance to ski a few days at Alta in Utah during spring break. Based on only two seasons, I was able to enjoy skiing green/blue groomers out west as a working adult who only did a ski trip every 2-3 years.

For a parent who learning as an adult and is also the primary organize ski trips with kids, it makes a difference if the kids are happily engage at ski school or skiing with others at times in order to allow the parent time to focus on a lesson or practice without distraction. It's a bonus if there is another adult (spouse or friend) who is a better skier willing to be a ski buddy for a few runs. Not for teaching technique, but for company on the lift and providing support in the event of a fall.

A story . . . Naomi Wain was a regular guest at Alta Lodge for about 50 years. She was a Californian who learned to ski as an adult. I was lucky to have skied a few runs with her one day after she turned 90. At some point, perhaps in her late 70s or 80s, she asked the ski school to match her up with an instructor for a Private Lesson. When the instructor met up with her for the first time, she told him point blank that she didn't need or want a lesson of any type or even a guide. His job was to follow her anywhere she wanted to ski and to be available to help in the event that she fell. I have a feeling she didn't fall often at that stage and she wanted to keep skiing in deep powder when it was available. Getting up in powder is difficult and takes a lot of energy. The instructor, JW, told the story at a celebration of her life at Alta Lodge a year after she passed away at age 93.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna