• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Last Day of Summer

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I love Maine. We went up to Acadia this summer and rode our bikes on the carriage roads. So much fun!
We love Acadia too! We we're hoping to get up there this summer, but we had too much going on. My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon in Acadia. One of our highlights was riding up Cadillac Mountain in the morning and then whale watching in the afternoon, where there were many whale sittings. For our 20th Anniversary we brought the kids up, and it was a magical family experience.

marzNC

Angel Diva
+1 for Acadia. Managed to squeeze in a long weekend there in early Sept with my husband after dropping off my daughter at school near Boston. We lucked out. Perfect weather, blue sky, cool enough that the bugs were gone but comfortable for walking around with a light jacket in the evening.

Lobster was good!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
SO much more to Maine than just the coast. In fact, we "inlanders" kind of avoid the coastal areas in the crazy tourist summer season. Post-Columbus Day weekend for that region or bust.

Big state - go inland!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
SO much more to Maine than just the coast. In fact, we "inlanders" kind of avoid the coastal areas in the crazy tourist summer season. Post-Columbus Day weekend for that region or bust.

Big state - go inland!

Where inland would you recommend visiting? I’m interested!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just barely post-Columbus day (this coming weekend) must still be pretty touristy at the coast. We're going to Portland to check out Maine College of Art and hotel rooms downtown / harbour area are both scarce and pricey. Glad MECA has a deal with the nearby Hilton!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Where inland would you recommend visiting? I’m interested!
Basically, everything north of the US 2 corridor from Bethel to Farmington.
Bethel: north on 26 to Grafton Notch State Park, great hiking.
US 2 east to Rumford, then north on 17 to Height of Land and Rangeley.
Rangeley: 16 northeast to Stratton, then south on 27 to Carrabassett Valley (Sugarloaf). 27 south to Route 4 south.
Alternative: Rangeley to Route 4 south, Smalls Falls (not so small!).
Side trip: east of this corridor is The Forks/Kennebec gorge. Want adventure? Schedule a Kennebec river raft trip (many outfitters) on a high release day (from Indian Pond and dam). Wild.
PM for more specifics. So much to see and do in the region, I haven't done it all in 17 years here.
DH and I went to Acadia. Once, in mid-Sept. Pretty, but SO crowded, we were claustrophic. WHAT'S it like in summer??? :eek:

marzNC

Angel Diva
DH and I went to Acadia. Once, in mid-Sept. Pretty, but SO crowded, we were claustrophic.
While Bar Harbor was crowded the first weekend of Sept because there were cruise ships there for the day, my DH and I had a good time over by Southwest Harbor and Northeast Harbor. Got to the Bass Lighthouse relatively early so could get a space in the little parking lot with no waiting. Reminded me of why it's worth getting up early to get good parking when at a popular ski resort. For Monday we had no trouble getting on a boat tour to Cranberry Island and Somes Sound. DH is not in shape for any hiking at the moment.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Basically, everything north of the US 2 corridor from Bethel to Farmington.
Bethel: north on 26 to Grafton Notch State Park, great hiking.
US 2 east to Rumford, then north on 17 to Height of Land and Rangeley.
Rangeley: 16 northeast to Stratton, then south on 27 to Carrabassett Valley (Sugarloaf). 27 south to Route 4 south.
Alternative: Rangeley to Route 4 south, Smalls Falls (not so small!).
While I'm thinking about it, for driving between Sugarloaf to Bethel, which route would be better in the winter?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It's a rough go, but basically the reverse: Route 16 north from Sugarloaf to Stratton, 16 south to Rangeley. 17 south to Rumford. Look for signs to US 2 - US 2 west to Bethel. Google should do it for you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's a rough go, but basically the reverse: Route 16 north from Sugarloaf to Stratton, 16 south to Rangeley. 17 south to Rumford. Look for signs to US 2 - US 2 west to Bethel. Google should do it for you.
Good to know, thanks! The first choice for Google Maps is RT 27 to US 2 instead of going thru Stratton and Rangeley.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good to know, thanks! The first choice for Google Maps is RT 27 to US 2 instead of going thru Stratton and Rangeley.
That's the "urban" route. Total time would be around 2:15-2:30. Gets bogged down in Farmington and Wilton - plus a very roundabout route near Rumford. However, these are probably clearer roads in winter. If you decide to do this, pm me. This is my home turf. I can send you an easy shortcut when you get near Rumford that will take 15 minutes off the journey.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly