• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lange SX90 Boots

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I am in LOVE with these boots. I have never in thirty years had a pair of boots that fit my tiny ankles. I'm 5'5 143lbs. but my ankle is only 7" around at it's skinniest point. I have never had a pair of boots that could lock that ankle in and not also cut off the circulation at the top of my arch or the ball of my foot. This boot is it. I still needed a normal width last (this one is a full 102), and often narrow fitting boots/heels came with a narrow last and cramped up my foot so badly that I would just buy boots that fit my foot width and have the techs pad in the ankles/heel pocket etc. I still sloshed around so much that I had absolutely no control. I have never skied down a hill with so much confidence in my life. I'm a new skier. I now get it. Marry your boots, but find a bootfitter first. Matt, the bootfitter at willi's who ordered these in for me, was awesome. He measured my leg and my ankle and my calf, and my foot width, and my foot length. He steered me away from the RX that he had in stock and had me try the SX80 for shape fit. They fit nearly perfect straight out of the box, but were too soft in the flex. He ordered in the SX90 and they are downright dreamy when he vacuum fitted them to my foot. But the one thing really different about these boots: the volcanized rubber sole grips. OMG. Life changing. They cushion your walk across the parking lot/floor/etc. and you don't thud, thud, thud anymore. And they traversed the ice in the parking lot much better as well. For shear safety and less damage to floors, these should be on all boots.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the boot review! I'm thinking about those Langes myself and will ask my fitter about them. The ones I'm in now are too wide, and/or maybe my skiing has progressed and I'm ready for a stiffer boot. How upright did you end up going with yours, @artistinsuburbia? They have a more natural stance and lower cuff, correct?

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
How upright did you end up going with yours, @artistinsuburbia? They have a more natural stance and lower cuff, correct?

You know, I'm not that familiar with them yet, I know they are a 90 flex but that is Lange's version. Some say that can translate to 100 or 110 based on the monoinjected shell construction. There is an adjustment on the back of the boot labeled "flex adj" and I'll have to read more on what that does. LOL. (the bootfitter set it up for me.) They are made with a super narrow heel pocket and a narrower leg fit so they are finally grabbing my heel as they should. But the last isn't that roomy for a 102, they feel more like a 100 and there are cushions/pads on the top of my toes that I can feel locking in those that they are using to control volume, so perhaps that is why they are not sloshing around up there. I'm locked in. first time ever. They do have the lower cuff and I'm not 100% certain on the stance as I didn't care about that nearly as much as fit, but it feels a little more natural, if that makes any sense, so they must be so. haha, just re-read your quote to make sure I answered everything and saw the stance as "natural" so yeah, they are. :thumb:

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the boot review! I'm thinking about those Langes myself and will ask my fitter about them. The ones I'm in now are too wide, and/or maybe my skiing has progressed and I'm ready for a stiffer boot. How upright did you end up going with yours, @artistinsuburbia? They have a more natural stance and lower cuff, correct?

The Lange's are supposed to have a forward lean of 12 degrees (average seems to be 14-16) and advertise a more upright stance. She had enough mods that I don't know what her actual forward lean ended up being.

What are you in now, and do you go to Brian in Leesburg?

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @artistinsuburbia. I have a wide calf so the narrower leg fit may not work for me. But I'll see what the fitter says.

@Obrules15, yes I go to Brian in Leesburg. You too?

I'm in Salomon XPro 80s now. They work well for my heel and calf but my forefoot and toes are swimming in them. Odd b/c I don't have too many ski days in them, and Brian said when I got them that I shouldn't have to buckle my boots past the second setting.

At Wisp I felt like I was like driving a car without a steering wheel until I tightened the bottom ones to the maximum possible setting, which made the shell look really weird. It didn't feel right but definitely felt safer than the way they had been.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. Brian likes the Lange RX 110's so I'm thinking you're not in them for a reason.

Sounds like a packed out liner, you could try an intuition, just make sure to check your shell fit first to get the appropriate replacement size.

Or did you change your socks?

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It seems way too soon for the liner to pack out. The socks are a different brand but similar type and volume. Feels like the boots are almost a shell size bigger than when I bought them.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine packed out fast, but I tended to use a lot of heat (heated boot bag, boot heaters, and under car heaters).

I've seen 25-30 days in terms of liner life expectancy, and the liner is going to go way before the shell.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Mine packed out fast, but I tended to use a lot of heat (heated boot bag, boot heaters, and under car heaters).

I've seen 25-30 days in terms of liner life expectancy, and the liner is going to go way before the shell.
I was told that once they are heat molded they are "packed out" if they don't fit from the get go, then it's the wrong boot/liner/fit to begin with.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was told that once they are heat molded they are "packed out" if they don't fit from the get go, then it's the wrong boot/liner/fit to begin with.

Somehow we are talking about different things. A perfectly heat molded liner will deteriorate and thin out after a few seasons. Mine fit to start, I just used heat to start my days in warm ski boots. Over 1.5 seasons. They deteriorated.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Somehow we are talking about different things. A perfectly heat molded liner will deteriorate and thin out after a few seasons. Mine fit to start, I just used heat to start my days in warm ski boots. Over 1.5 seasons. They deteriorated.
nope, same thing. Matt here said that shouldn't happen anymore with the construction of the new liners. Now, whether he is right or not still remains to be seen...

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
nope, same thing. Matt here said that shouldn't happen anymore with the construction of the new liners. Now, whether he is right or not still remains to be seen...

Well, whether it should or shouldn't it definitely happened to me, and still happens a lot to people I know. I doubt they'd ever construct a liner that didn't pack out over a few years. It'd take away people's motivation to buy new boots (especially since the shell is darn near indestructible).

It makes sense that a high quality well molded liner wouldn't pack out (the Intuition, Zipfits, and Foam liners don't) but I think most liners would still be made with "planned obsolescence" in mind. Force people to replace boots every two years like we're forced to replace our phones (my phone goes haywire 3 months prior to the replacement cycle like clockwork and when I refuse to replace it, just continually tortures me until I do, now my phones shuts off with a 30% charge).

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Well, whether it should or shouldn't it definitely happened to me, and still happens a lot to people I know. I doubt they'd ever construct a liner that didn't pack out over a few years. It'd take away people's motivation to buy new boots (especially since the shell is darn near indestructible).

It makes sense that a high quality well molded liner wouldn't pack out (the Intuition, Zipfits, and Foam liners don't) but I think most liners would still be made with "planned obsolescence" in mind. Force people to replace boots every two years like we're forced to replace our phones (my phone goes haywire 3 months prior to the replacement cycle like clockwork and when I refuse to replace it, just continually tortures me until I do, now my phones shuts off with a 30% charge).

Well at least the phone is an easy fix. Back it up to your computer, then do a restore to factory settings. Then restore the "new" phone from backup. This resets that little piece of code for obsolescence.

Yeah, I agree on the boots, they are designed to last three to five years, whether you wear them or not, the air alone will deteriorate the materials. sadly.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It makes sense that a high quality well molded liner wouldn't pack out (the Intuition, Zipfits, and Foam liners don't) but I think most liners would still be made with "planned obsolescence" in mind. Force people to replace boots every two years...
^ This. DH's Intuition liners are "going" - season #3. Packing out (had been initially heat-molded). I am just wearing mine as is without heat, to see if there's any difference in longevity (doubt).

Wore Tecnicas for years (15+), and always had to change liners at year 3, or after about 80 ski days, so I don't think it's specific to Intuitions (these were stock Tecnica liners).

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ This. DH's Intuition liners are "going" - season #3. Packing out (had been initially heat-molded). I am just wearing mine as is without heat, to see if there's any difference in longevity (doubt).

Wore Tecnicas for years (15+), and always had to change liners at year 3, or after about 80 ski days, so I don't think it's specific to Intuitions (these were stock Tecnica liners).

What kind of Intuitions do you have? I've heard that there is a difference depending on the proportion of softer foam types in the liner. According to their website they use four different types of foam. The liners that *don't* require heat molding in a shop have a higher proportion of soft foam. Whereas the the liners with the highest proportion of HD foam (Pro-Tongue, Race) are the sturdiest and the least likely to pack out.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
He has whatever came stock with the Full Tilt Classic. I have whatever came stock with the Full Tilt Rumor. We never expect longevity from liners, have been at this for a long time. I had Full Tilt Soul Sisters, with Intuition pro-wrap liners. The liners were INTENSELY stiff (not the shell/tongue), and the wrap pinched a nerve in my lower leg. :eek: He and I switched boots (close in size), just to see if I was nuts - or not.

So we apparently have the soft foam/not great liners, and that's okay. We're not new-schooler/free skiers anyway > ha. Not at this stage of the game! (seniors)

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He has whatever came stock with the Full Tilt Classic. I have whatever came stock with the Full Tilt Rumor. We never expect longevity from liners, have been at this for a long time. I had Full Tilt Soul Sisters, with Intuition pro-wrap liners. The liners were INTENSELY stiff (not the shell/tongue), and the wrap pinched a nerve in my lower leg. :eek: He and I switched boots (close in size), just to see if I was nuts - or not.

So we apparently have the soft foam/not great liners, and that's okay. We're not new-schooler/free skiers anyway > ha. Not at this stage of the game! (seniors)

Yes, I have been told that Intuition's that come as stock liners have a higher proportion of soft foam.

For me it's all about knowing. I'm sensitive enough to changes in my setup that I just like to know what's going on so I can make reasoned decisions.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Yes, I have been told that Intuition's that come as stock liners have a higher proportion of soft foam.
Totally depends on the model. The Intuition pro-wrap in the Soul Sisters were stock. They were concrete. I could not flex them. I could flex the Full Tilt Classic. Go figure. Another item in play is the tongue stiffness. I tried a softer tongue in the Soul Sisters. No go. It was the liner. So - it depends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly