• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Know Before You Go Avalanche Awareness (Eastern Divas)

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m going to try to make this. I’m moving on or
about 11/15, but I can certainly do this Friday!

newboots

Angel Diva
I don’t really do backcountry yet, but it seems smart to know about this material. One never knows.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don’t really do backcountry yet, but it seems smart to know about this material. One never knows.

I think it can definitely have application outside of the backcountry, probably more for western skiing, but still. Snow science awareness in the mountains is always a good thing in my opinion. Great stuff to be aware of as a skier, and I also find it really interesting in general.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't listened yet, but I know Wild Snow is a good source of info for backcountry skiers.

Nov. 16, Wild Snow
UNRAVELING THE MYSTERIES OF AVALANCHE EDUCATION — TDP 80
https://www.wildsnow.com/28631/unraveling-avalanche-education-tdp-80/

"Michael Ackerman and Josh Jespersen of Silverton Avalanche School

There’s a reason Silverton Avalanche School Deputy Director Michael Ackerman has been called a celebrated story teller. We could also add to his qualifications connoisseur of metaphors. He uses both story and metaphor liberally in the latest Totally Deep podcast, where he’s joined by host Doug Stenclik and Silverton Avalanche School Tactical Programmer and Instructor Josh Jespersen. Together, the trio dives deep into the murky waters of avalanche education.

Take this one from Ackerman: “If we try to break the backcountry down into a systemic checklist that equals go or no go, you’re playing a dangerous game. Mother nature is always going to bat last and she’s fond of hitting a walk off in the 9th inning when you think you have it all locked up. That’s when we see accidents happen.”

If you find banter about logistics boring, you won’t in this episode. If you think the acronym AIARE is synonymous with all avalanche education, this episode will gently correct you. If you’ve signed up for an avalanche course thinking that the instructors and curriculum will give you all the answers, this episode will make you think otherwise. It is, for all intents and purposes, likely the most interesting and informative discussion on avalanche education you’ll ever encounter.

This is thanks in part to the plentiful metaphors, but also the deep well of knowledge behind the microphones. Ackerman has been working as a guide and outdoor educator the in mountain west for the past two decades. Jespersen is a former Navy SEAL who was the first to snowboard all of Colorado’s Fourteeners and also works as a guide and outdoor educator. They are both deeply involved in Silverton Avalanche School, which has been running backcountry education courses since 1962. Operating out of the ‘natural avalanche laboratory’ of Silverton, CO, SAS offers a wide range of courses in the categories of recreational, professional and motorized avalanche education, from backcountry foundations and basic avalanche awareness to Professional Level 2 and Avalanche Search and Rescue.

Throughout the episode, the guys cover topics including the shortcomings of avalanche education, how to reach the new class of COVID-inspired backcountry users (“selling them gear is like selling them a firearm. Now we need some firearm safety”), and why avy training on or near your home turf is especially valuable. Have a listen, and stay safe out there."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Haven't listened yet, but I know Wild Snow is a good source of info for backcountry skiers.

Nov. 16, Wild Snow
UNRAVELING THE MYSTERIES OF AVALANCHE EDUCATION — TDP 80
https://www.wildsnow.com/28631/unraveling-avalanche-education-tdp-80/

"Michael Ackerman and Josh Jespersen of Silverton Avalanche School

There’s a reason Silverton Avalanche School Deputy Director Michael Ackerman has been called a celebrated story teller. We could also add to his qualifications connoisseur of metaphors. He uses both story and metaphor liberally in the latest Totally Deep podcast, where he’s joined by host Doug Stenclik and Silverton Avalanche School Tactical Programmer and Instructor Josh Jespersen. Together, the trio dives deep into the murky waters of avalanche education.

Take this one from Ackerman: “If we try to break the backcountry down into a systemic checklist that equals go or no go, you’re playing a dangerous game. Mother nature is always going to bat last and she’s fond of hitting a walk off in the 9th inning when you think you have it all locked up. That’s when we see accidents happen.”

If you find banter about logistics boring, you won’t in this episode. If you think the acronym AIARE is synonymous with all avalanche education, this episode will gently correct you. If you’ve signed up for an avalanche course thinking that the instructors and curriculum will give you all the answers, this episode will make you think otherwise. It is, for all intents and purposes, likely the most interesting and informative discussion on avalanche education you’ll ever encounter.

This is thanks in part to the plentiful metaphors, but also the deep well of knowledge behind the microphones. Ackerman has been working as a guide and outdoor educator the in mountain west for the past two decades. Jespersen is a former Navy SEAL who was the first to snowboard all of Colorado’s Fourteeners and also works as a guide and outdoor educator. They are both deeply involved in Silverton Avalanche School, which has been running backcountry education courses since 1962. Operating out of the ‘natural avalanche laboratory’ of Silverton, CO, SAS offers a wide range of courses in the categories of recreational, professional and motorized avalanche education, from backcountry foundations and basic avalanche awareness to Professional Level 2 and Avalanche Search and Rescue.

Throughout the episode, the guys cover topics including the shortcomings of avalanche education, how to reach the new class of COVID-inspired backcountry users (“selling them gear is like selling them a firearm. Now we need some firearm safety”), and why avy training on or near your home turf is especially valuable. Have a listen, and stay safe out there."

Thanks, this sounds great, will definitely check it out! Tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday are also the paid portion of the series I mentioned above a couple of weeks ago. Only $25. Not sure if anyone else signed up, but the free session at that time was good, so looking forward to the next few nights.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did anyone else register for this but not receive the Zoom link? The confirm said it would be sent a few days prior to the event, but I've not received anything yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly