• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Killington Monday, Oct. 22.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the day off and a discount pass, so I thought I’d see what October skiing is all about. It’s not even noon and I’m writing a trip report, so you can probably see where this is going.

Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely psyched thst Killington opened so early, and the two open runs are normally fun intermediate trails. Today though, the trails were jam-packed with people and made harrowing by the blazing snow guns running from top to bottom.

I did two runs and called it a day (meaning I went to the bar...). It just wasn’t worth the risk of dumb injury.

But I’m glad I came just to see what it was sll about, and now I’m even more psyched for the real season to begin!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually went back down and did a few more runs after posting; I watched a lot of people leaving and few arriving, so figured the crowds would have thinned. True, and those few runs were pretty fun. But then it bumped up and I couldn’t see well enough to be comfortable, so I called it quits for real

newboots

Angel Diva
*** spoiler alert ***

*** Heresy below ***

This is how I feel about late spring skiing when the resort throws a party. Crowds, lift lines, slush, mud, gravel, and rowdy intoxication.

I like tailgating in theory, but mud+gravel=parking lots in spring. Yuk. I prefer picnics in the yard, at the park, or on the beach. A real beach.

Signed,
Party Pooper in Vermont

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
*** spoiler alert ***

*** Heresy below ***

This is how I feel about late spring skiing when the resort throws a party. Crowds, lift lines, slush, mud, gravel, and rowdy intoxication.

Yeah, Killington cultivates that vibe for sure. That's why I prefer spring skiing at Okemo and if I want a break, I take it at the Jackson Gore base.

At Killington in the spring, the way to avoid the party atmosphere is to keep skiing, which is usually my preference!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, Killington cultivates that vibe for sure. That's why I prefer spring skiing at Okemo and if I want a break, I take it at the Jackson Gore base.

I agree about okemo being great for spring skiing. However, when the weather is warm, I have a strict waffle cabin only rule for taking breaks. Or if I want a meal/beer, I go to solitude because they have outdoor seating, great trails, and no lift line. Gotta bake in that balaclava tan line!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, excellent point! The Solitude chair is always a winner! When it’s open, Epic has great food, too. I hear they have a new chef, though, and if that impacts the chicken-and-waffle situation, I may have to avoid the Solitude area altogether; too painful. :cry:

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, excellent point! The Solitude chair is always a winner! When it’s open, Epic has great food, too. I hear they have a new chef, though, and if that impacts the chicken-and-waffle situation, I may have to avoid the Solitude area altogether; too painful. :cry:

Pause for the cause. Solitude has/had chicken and waffles as a menu item?! I've been pairing waffle cabin waffles and roundhouse chicken fingers all this time...

Christy

Angel Diva
Killington question. What is that "skyship" I drove by on the way to meet you guys? Okay obviously it's a gondola, but the parking lot was small… Is it just for sightseers?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Killington question. What is that "skyship" I drove by on the way to meet you guys? Okay obviously it's a gondola, but the parking lot was small… Is it just for sightseers?

It's for skiers; there's a big parking lot on the other side of Rt. 4 that you access via the big bridge. I've never taken it because I usually drive up to the Bear Mountain lodge. But it's another way onto the mountain; convenient if you're coming from the Woodstock area, because if it's running it saves you about ten miles of driving.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sweet? Savory? Both? I can’t quite wrap my head around this combination.

Both. I had it once or twice. Epic is my stop of choice, mostly because I know everyone who works there! That and The Loft, of course! My problem, especially since I’ve lost more weight since last season, is nothing small on the menu. The “small plates” aren’t small by my dubious standards! But everything there was wonderful last year!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Both. I had it once or twice. Epic is my stop of choice, mostly because I know everyone who works there! That and The Loft, of course! My problem, especially since I’ve lost more weight since last season, is nothing small on the menu. The “small plates” aren’t small by my dubious standards! But everything there was wonderful last year!

My dietary restrictions will prevent me from trying this, so I’ll take your word for it. :smile:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Epic is a very good. ahh chicken and waffles... portions are definitely generous. And if you don't like stairs in boots there's an elevator down to the bathrooms!

newboots

Angel Diva
You must have really been looking at the Skyeship, to miss the pedestrian bridge over the road! :wink: Both parking lots fill to overflowing when the gondola is open. But we generally ski from Bear Mountain, also, that seems less crowded than other lodges at K.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna