• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kids Ski Lessons - Talking to Instructor

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My two youngest started on a ski team this year - it is a special program for 5-6 year olds. They are having their 4th lesson tomorrow. They already ski and have been skiing with us on the beginner lift and hill. On the first day they were put in the lowest group, and spent the first lesson on the magic carpet, I understand, it was an evaluation day and they do their best to group kids based on abilities. Next lesson, it was storming and windy, and freaking cold, so they didnt ski much. Week three, a new kid started, apparently her family had been out of town and just got back in so missed the first two weeks. The grandpa said she was low ski group, so she got put in my kids group, turns out she had never been in skis before and it was her first time.

I don't want to be an annoying parent, and I suppose my kids will learn something no matter what, but I also feel that when they can get on and off the bunny hill chair, and ski down with no issues, make wedge turns in both directions, stop, glide, side step, and play around on the baby terrain park, they may not learn as much if they are in a group with a very very very beginner?

Its a 10 week ski lesson, and these lessons are not cheap, and I want my kids to learn, and have fun, but I am struggling between speaking up or just letting them get what they get out of it even though they may spend the majority of the rest of the lessons never leaving the beginner-beginner area.

Maybe I am overthinking this, and should just let it go, but I am feeling a little frustrated by the situation.

Anyone been through this before, or instructors have any input or advice for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm... we have Jr. Race program at my Mt. Seems your kids maybe in the wrong group. Usually the never-ever's are together and the kids that can do all your's are doing especially stop/starting speed control and riding the lift they go up the Mt and even run 'shorty' gates.

If there is another group that is more advanced and learning more skill sets, I'd ask for my kids to go to all Mt. class.

Wondering Are they trying to keep the groups size level down?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a special program so they keep each group at 4-5 Kids.

Maybe discreetly ask the instructors if your kids can go to a more advanced class.. perhaps there are kids that need more fine tuning in the beginner area that your kids could swap spots with? I would do it via phone or privately, I'd worry if they hear Mom wanting them out of current class could make them wary of being where they are?

Jilly

Staff member
I'm surprised the instructor hasn't done something. It's got to be frustrating to them too. Unless there is no where for your kids to go.

I like nopole's suggestion. If something isn't mentioned then the ski school doesn't know.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did talk briefly with my kids/coach instructor last week. And I could tell she was frustated and she told me that its kinda a problem. I didn’t push it though. This week their regular coach was sick so they had a sub. I did express my concerns. And the sub told me that it is a big problem and the kid is holding everyone back. They are going to talk to the parents to see what can be done, but they said that last week too. There is only one spot in the group above and my son is stronger so they could move him up. But that poses another problem....

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Part of me does think i should just let it go, and just let them get whatever they get out of it. But i would also like them to advance beyond the bunny hill.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any other kids in the lower group that might be able to move up a group too? Then it might be worth it for the ski school to create another higher level group.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any other kids in the lower group that might be able to move up a group too? Then it might be worth it for the ski school to create another higher level group.

My two are in the lowest group. If they would move others up it would still leave the never ever.

Sadly there is not a never ever group. This team was meant for kids who already can ride the lift and have some on the snow experience

Just frustrated

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh, so when a never ever showed up they should have steered that kid to a different program. And that kid might have more fun and get more out of it if they did it now.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have every right to ask for a group change, and I think you'll get the results you want. They do try pretty hard to be accommodating in that way there. Is this the Raptors program, or the race team feeder program?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh, so when a never ever showed up they should have steered that kid to a different program. And that kid might have more fun and get more out of it if they did it now.

^^^^^
This. Especially if the instructor realizes the mismatch and the frustration. Perhaps the Supervisor needs to speak w/ Parents and explain this is not the best fit, and perhaps they would be better served in regular ski school.

The choice to commit to a 10 week lesson program puts you in a much different position then someone taking a random one day lesson. The group needs to be cohesive to work for everyone. The Mountain should have rectified this when it was clear there was a mis-match.
1. Can you get your $$ back? Mammoth has a "guarantee" and will refund $ if you are not satisfied with the lesson or clinic.
2. Will the Mountain try to find a solution so your group can move on, and the latecomer find a better solution?
I think you have every right to ask for either solution.

We have seen similar situations happen every year w/ DD on Freeski team. The "criteria" was low for the tryout for the "Intro Team": Skiers should be able to parallel turn on green and easy blue terrain. All skiers must meet the minimum skiing ability of the Team. The key being "meet the minimum skiing ability of the Team. Every year on the intro team there were kids who may have been able to meet the "criteria", but not the "minimum ability of the team" (or the demands of training for the team) and the Head Coach was not shy about telling the parents it wasn't going to work.

Last edited:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have every right to ask for a group change, and I think you'll get the results you want. They do try pretty hard to be accommodating in that way there. Is this the Raptors program, or the race team feeder program?
It’s the race team feeder program so the snow start. I will see what happens next week. Though yesterday it’s the second time it was a problem. The grandpa said he was going to “work with her” after last Saturday. But yesterday it was still a problem.

Their coaches have all been great. So I feel bad complaining and coming off as pushy.

Jilly

Staff member
If she's never skied before, then a race feeder program is not the right place. Grandpa has a problem. Not only that the kid is liable to not like skiing if she feels out of place.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Sheena - this is a problem in many sports. But I think there's a way to approach the coaches, or the ski school, without being pushy. One, you can express concern for the never-ever - she can't feel good about this, either. (Probably even worse with Grandpa "working with her," but that's a different issue.) And you can express concern for the progress of the rest of the kids, who are at a different level. The ski school certainly won't want to sacrifice the progress of the majority of the kids, which is what's happening.

The sub recognized it as a problem, but of course has no authority in the issue. The other parents probably do, too, if their kids are ready to get past the Magic Carpet. I'll bet if you are careful about how you approach it you won't be pushy at all!

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, you should definitely push the issue. I feel like skiing is different from other sports. It’s super expensive, the season is limited and if you aren’t at the right level it’s either not fun at all or not safe. If you’re kids are getting nothing out of the program, it’s really not fair.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly