• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kids and an exciting mountain career? It's complicated.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent article. I think all women who become mothers and continue their careers face these issues. Ambitious women are often viewed with suspicion and even more so when they have children. No one ever talks about men having to choose between anything and kids, while women have to justify all of their choices. Of course the physical risk of a career as a pro-skier or mountain guide is probably higher than that of an office job (although when you read about the risks of a sedentary lifestyle, I’m not so sure.) However, I’m not convinced it’s the risk that really causes the criticism. I think it’s more that women who pursue their careers are always criticised and if your career is in extreme sports, the risk gives critics something to focus on.

These women are amazing. I’ll never be able to ski like them but I love watching them and reading about them. Kit DesLauriers‘ story about skiing Grand Teton between breastfeeds is epic!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good read.

For those who haven't heard about Ingrid Backstrom's family adventures with her baby, husband, and grandparents:

https://www.powder.com/lineage/

Ingrid's mother continued to be on ski patrol after having kids and is still skiing strong as a grandmother. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Every now and then I see it addressed in male oriented pieces where they talk about leaving the family behind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna