• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kayak Trailer Project

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year, I began kayaking. Of course, it's always more fun to go with a group. I wanted to modify my utility trailer into a kayak trailer. I can carry 6 boats on the trailer and 2 on top of my car. Some friends ride motorcycles to the launch point. We set up a dining fly, bring lawn chairs, fire up the grill, and make a day of it.

Readytogo.jpg

I started with a basic utility trailer that I have had for years.
Utilitytrailer-1.jpg

The challenge was to have removable masts for the kayaks, so I didn't lose the utility of my utility trailer. After many hours of design discussions, we decided to weld box and angle steel into removable masts. We bought an arc welder from Harbor Freight for $99, had the steel cut to our dimensions by a local metal shop, and set to work. This is held to the trailer by 5 bolts, but is really strong.

Masts-1.jpg

The frame at the end of the first day.

Kombiner.jpg

I added pool noodles for padding to keep from scratching the hulls.

IMG_0425.jpg

Other trailer mods. To keep the bow of the boat out of the back window of the car :loco:, I added an 18" extension to the trailer hitch. The trailer is a little light and needs some additional tongue weight, so I outfitted the trailer with forward weight in the form of cement blocks. Now, it rides smoothly down the road at highway speed. Total cost of the project, including the welder, under $200. (Of course, we already had the trailer.)

Who wants to come kayaking in the Adirondacks with me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly