• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 Mindbender Alliance 88 vs Volkl Kenja 88 vs...?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well, you're sort of right. On days that I know I'm going to encounter ice or extreme harpback, I take out my Renoun Z-77's. They're amazing on that sort of stuff, and very playful and fun.

That said, don't rule out the Santa Ana 93's as a daily driver. I've had them out on the iciest of days, and really, they're great. Besides, it's really nice to have a ski that can handle everything. Some days you just don't know what you're going to find out there.
I demoed the SA 93 in Taos and thought it was great in everything from groomers to bumps to trees. I am looking for one in a 161 ! I realize next year only one sheet of metal, but I enjoyed the ski very much as is. For me, it's between the SA 93 and the Sheeva 9. I'm a west coast Tahoe skier mainly but take trips out of state and/or country every year or so.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up on Black Pearls for two seasons as I progressed, but found myself wanting a bit more stability in crud than they offered, so last season I bought the Santa Anas, which I have described as having the playful feel of the Black Pearl, but the stability of the Kenja. I have skied them in EVERYTHING imaginable, including almost two feet of powder. Yesterday we had serious hard pack, and they handled it really well.
For reference, have you ever skied the Rossie Experiences 84 or 88? Those are the only things I've tried so far.
I was keep to try the Santa Ana's but everything I read says it's for the aggressive skier, skiing at full throttle, etc. I am not an aggressive skier, and even though I am improving rapidly and skiing much faster than I used to, I don't think I will ever enjoy skiing fast. I love turning and just want to be able to do it in all conditions. Is it one of those that gets away from you because it likes to ski so fast?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For reference, have you ever skied the Rossie Experiences 84 or 88? Those are the only things I've tried so far.
I was keep to try the Santa Ana's but everything I read says it's for the aggressive skier, skiing at full throttle, etc. I am not an aggressive skier, and even though I am improving rapidly and skiing much faster than I used to, I don't think I will ever enjoy skiing fast. I love turning and just want to be able to do it in all conditions. Is it one of those that gets away from you because it likes to ski so fast?
I have skied them both, last season. If you liked the 88, you will have no problems with the SA 88, which IMO are quicker turning than the Rossi 88s. If you aren't concerned with speed, then the Rossi 84 is a really good choice. That's a really fun, easy to ski ski that can take an intermediate and help her progress.

I ski like a turtle in flat light and crud on my SA 88s and they are so compliant and easy. I'm as cautious on skis at times as the best of us, and they have not once made me wish for less ski. I think this is where sometimes the bigger review sites having only experts on their skis lets intermediates down. I think the SA 88s will give you more ski to grow into than the Rossi 84s, but the Rossi 84s are definitely a fun, playful ski that have enough oomph to keep you happy :tongue: If you feel like you kind of want a hybrid between the Rossi 84 and 88, then the SA 88 might just be the ticket.

xkissmekatex

Diva in Training
In addition to the two you demoed (great options!) I'd throw in the Nordica Santa Ana 88 and Stockli Stormrider Motion 85.

The Santa Ana will be a quite a bit easier than the Kenja in bumps and trees. They are really easy to scrub speed and pivot on and ski in tight spaces. Very stable thanks to two sheets of titanal (next year's model has one sheet, but they felt identical to this year's when I skied them.) I've skied mine for 120 or so days, and I absolutely love them.

@contesstant You tried the new Santa Ana 88 for 2021?
You couldn't tell the difference?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna