• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kästle Mx88s

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Following someone's excellent recommendation here, I started checking out the Kastle skis. I was looking for an mx84, but when I found a good deal on some used Mx88s nearby, I didn't dither and I snapped those up. I got to take them up this weekend for the first time, and I have notes!

Skier info: 5'8, 170, advanced but not expert, my ski style is definitely a bit carving oriented, driving the skis and nice and forward.

Ski info: 168, full camber, 88 underfoot, 17.5 turn radius, 128, 88, 113, metal/wood

Conditions: late spring firm-to-mush, but not sticky.

okay, this is going to sound weird, but my impression of these skis was that they were some of the most fun I'd skied, but also, "is that it?"

The reviews of this ski kind of intimated me, made me think I might be biting off more than I could chew. They required massive aggression! They were hard to turn at anything but speed. They had grippy tails. They were unforgiving of anything but technically perfect full charging.

And.....

No, they just were regular camber skis. Really awesome camber skis, but I only think you'd find these grippy or hard to turn if you're comparing them to skiing centered on highly rockered skis. You do need to engage the tips to turn, but again, camber skis.

As to the argument that these are east coast ice skates.... Also bemusing. They're 88 underfoot, and it shows. I might have actually preferred the 84s if I could have gotten them, but I don't really have any complaints about getting these edge to edge. And they sailed through and/or around the mounds of mush as beautifully as you could ask.

Carving down the groomers on these skis was like test driving a new Mercedes after driving an old beater with bad shocks. I keep expecting to get jostled and jolted especially with the chopped up mush, and nope. Smooth as butter without ever feeling dead.

They held an edge like a dream, and there's so so much power going from turn to turn.

Even as I kept thinking I ought to swap them out for some lighter skis as the day wore on, I couldn't bring myself to take them off. I had a huge grin on my face all day.

My biggest regret is that the top sheets are a bit boring compared to everything out there.
SmartSelect_20190414-214433_Photos.jpg

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on the purchase! I don’t know who recommended the MX to you, but I am glad to know I am not the only one who feel this way about the MX:yahoo:
I still remember the HUGE smile on my face after my first run on them and all I could think/say was “Wow”...MIND BLOWING WOW!! There is no turning back after skiing these (mine is MX89). If you get a chance to try the 84s, do it. I have the MX Limited in 84mm. Subtle differences in specs but you will be able to appreciate the difference in riding them. Quicker and tighter turns and oh-so-damp! Want even tighter turns and feel like a SL racer? Try the Stockli Laser AX - would love to hear a review on those if you try them and can utilize the turtle shell technology!

Shared this photo on another thread before but it doesn’t hurt to share again since they are so gorgeous:love:
7DBF29EA-6D06-441D-A3A3-7A9131838BDD.jpeg

Last edited:

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Congrats on the purchase! I don’t know who recommended the MX to you, but I am glad to know I am not the only one who feel this way about the MX:yahoo:
I still remember the HUGE smile on my face after my first run on them and all I could think/say was “Wow”...MIND BLOWING WOW!! There is no turning back after skiing these (mine is MX89). If you get a chance to try the 84s, do it. I have the MX Limited in 84mm. Subtle differences in specs but you will be able to appreciate the difference in riding them. Quicker and tighter turns and oh-so-damp! Want even tighter turns and feel like a SL racer? Try the Stockli Laser AX - would love to hear a review on those if you try them and can utilize the turtle shell technology!

Shared this photo on another thread before but it doesn’t hurt to share again since they are so gorgeous:love:
View attachment 10730
There is nothing so satisfying as looking at a well stocked quiver!

I may wait a couple years and see if I can find a similar deal on the limited- most people these days think I'm crazy, especially as a Tahoe skier, but I definitely prefer 80-85 under foot for all but powder days. So I could see myself liking that, especially if I could find some less pretty but still solid ex demos like I did this time. ($250 for skis where the top sheets looked like sharks had got at them, but beautiful bases and edges. Idek what people did to those poor skis.)

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What?!?! $250?!?!?!?!! That is THE deal of the century!!! I could probably add a pair of MX88 to my quiver at that price! :bounce:
I unfortunately fell for the Kastle and Stockli during early season so I paid full price. Almost had a heart attack after finding out how much the Limited were, BUT worth every single penny when they made me smile so much that my jaw hurts:becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly