• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Just wondering if anyone does boxing training?

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the things that my PT makes me do is a few of the training techniques that boxers use. I've been looking into it a bit more and would really like to do more of it. Not sparing, just boxing with a bag. I have fairly crappy wrists from gymnastics when I was young so need to be careful but thought it looked like really good exercise with good exercises for balance strength and agility and of course your core.

Does anyone else do boxing training?? If so what do you think of it?

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't use a bag, but do have a boxing DVD, which is great to for toning and balance. The instructor does include a heavy bag work out on the DVD, but I'm not sure where I would keep something like that. I also enjoy kickboxing.

(I'm also a former gymnast with bad wrists)

Sherry

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't think about looking for a boxing DVD, I might give that a go. I'd really love to get a speed bag but not sure where I would put it?? I might go look for a DVD on skipping as well, I think that's one of the best exercises you can do, funny how something that was so fun as a kid is now more of a workout. No wonder I never had trouble with fitness when I was young, you just seem to always be doing something, anything to keep yourself ammused. :smile:

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My karate studio just started offering kick boxing and I've gone to a couple of classes. I enjoyed them but I prefer karate. Even though karate is a good workout, kick boxing is even more of a cardio workout. I like the attention to detail that karate entails.

Wish me luck-I test for my black belt in September!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kids take tae kwon do, and their master started to offer kickboxing this past winter... I joined the class along with several other out-of-shape moms who weren't getting too much exercise beyond picking kids up at school...

Even though we only do it 3x a week, and even though it's probably not as intense as a high-end fitness studio class might be, I've gotten back in passable shape and firmed everything up more easily than I would have thought. Also, last time I went back to the gym after getting so out of shape, I actually gained weight (put the muscle back on without losing the fat I guess) - but this time I'm putting the muscle back on and my pants fit better all at the same time, LOL. So I'd give kickboxing a big thumbs up, especially if you don't have alot of time to devote to being a gym rat...:eyebrows:

Good luck with your belt test! If it's anything like a tae kwon do black belt test (and I assume it is); it's certainly a big deal, so woot to you!:thumbsup:

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck with your black belt test Delawhere!!

Thanks Mom of Redheads, nice to know you are getting so much out of kickboxing. I'm not sure i'm up for kickboxing with all my injuries but sounds like a great workout.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have done just one boxing workout, but I thought it was great. My regular trainer was unexpectedly gone, so the other one in the studio (an ex-pro football player and current professional fighter -- not boxing but one of those MMA type things) trained me. I got to hit him. That was better than a bag. (Well, not really him, but those things on his hands)

I had just gotten DS's report card, too, and I had a lot of aggression to burn! Lucky DS!! I got to box before I saw him in person!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna