• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Junior bindings?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm currently on some Marker Squire 11 bindings and while nothing is wrong with them, I find them really tough to get into, and yes, even when my boots are clear of snow and ice. It was tough when I was in my 24.5 boots and now seems even tougher in my 23.5 with a shorter BSL. I literally have to carefully position my boot, step/ put weight on them. I then get them halfway engaged and have to jump and slam them down to secure them at least once or twice to make sure they are fully engaged.

This was absolutely not easy when I had a pretty minor run in with another skier who accidentally bumped intp me as we both turned. I was downhill of her and we were turning opposite of each other on the last steep drop of a blue run (Alpine @ Snoqualmie Summit Central if you know it) The front of her skis connected with the back of mine. It was totally an accident and she did stop to make sure everything was ok. Neither of us fell, but one of my skis popped off and it was a total bitch to try to jump back into my ski on a steep.

So, are there any recs for easier to get into bindings for light skiers? I was wondering if junior bindings like the Look NX (10, 11, 12) line might be easier for me to get into? My DIN is still set @ 5 so they definitely are well within range and the DIN range is basically what I have now. They don't seem too much heavier either with a better binding delta. Thanks for the advice divas, I'm not really sure what to do here or if there is some way to make my currents bindings easier to get into.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have always had problems getting into Marker bindings. I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, fairly strong, over 60. Marker bindings are used for demo skis a fair amount. Also had some on rental skis. In any case, for skis that I buy that don't have integrated bindings the brand I've gone with is Look. I have adult Look bindings. I'm an advanced resort skier but will do short in-bounds hikes for good snow.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't remember if they were Squires or Griffons (I think Squires?), but I had one of those on my first pair of Yumis and omg I had to stomp and clomp to get into those things. Hated them. I think I've read here before there's a known issue with one of the Marker bindings (either Squire or Griffon) and smaller BSLs that makes them difficult to click into?

I've had good luck with Look/Rossi bindings in the past as a small, lightweight. Also never run into issues with Tyrolia (bindings on my junior SLs) and have Salomon demo bindings on my Factions with no issue. I've also had Rossi Axium junior bindings in the past. Junior DIN range is usually a lot better for me, honestly, than a lot of adult bindings. Adult bindings I'm always at the very low end (DIN is usually around 5 give or take). I do think junior bindings are oftentimes made from cheaper materials, although I've never had an issue with any of my junior bindings breaking/failing. So you could probably go either way with adult or junior bindings. But just getting away from those Marker Squires should make a big difference for you.

For reference, I'm 5'1", 95 lbs, have had both 23.5 and 22.5 boots.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You do not need/ want Junior bindings as there is no reason for adult lightweight skiers to require them, unless they are race bindings for a particular ski. The Markers have always been a struggle for skiers with small BSL.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You do not need/ want Junior bindings as there is no reason for adult lightweight skiers to require them, unless they are race bindings for a particular ski. The Markers have always been a struggle for skiers with small BSL.
Any recs for non-junior bindings that might be easier then and perhaps you liked?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any recs for non-junior bindings that might be easier then and perhaps you liked?
Not badger, but I had Look SPX 10 bindings on my 2nd pair of Yumis and liked them. Also the Salomon Strive 11. Look SPX has a DIN range of 3-10 and the Salmon Strive 3.5-11

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still wish they'd make adult bindings with lower DIN ranges. That's the only real benefit I can see with junior bindings. It's definitely gonna be a problem for me when I hit 50, b/c my DIN is already so low.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have struggled with a marker griffon demo binding I used to have at 170 lbs and 24.5 boot. I have found tyrolia attacks to be an affordable decent easy binding to click in. I have used the 11s and 13s since I am not sensitive to the delta. I also concur that Look is a great choice for bindings although my personal experience is limited.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I still wish they'd make adult bindings with lower DIN ranges. That's the only real benefit I can see with junior bindings. It's definitely gonna be a problem for me when I hit 50, b/c my DIN is already so low.
My DIN is the same now as it was when I was under 50. I'm actually a lot stronger and a better skier than 15 years ago, same weight, actually slightly shorter but I'm sticking with 5'0" on forms. Not that hard to fill out ski shop forms as Type III+ or just sign off on a DIN that doesn't come off a DIN table for a given binding. Only time I follow a table is for a free demo day with brand tents.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Surprisingly I haven't had an issue with my Market Squire 11s (5'0, 90 pounds, 21.5 boot size). I do need to stomp into them more, but not so much that it's a hassle. My son is on Griffons jr bindings and it's a pain to get him into those bindings. Most adult bindings don't cater to my din, it'd be nice to see some adult bindings go lower than 3.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were to follow the din calculator when I'm 50, I wouldn't even fall into the range of adult bindings.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might have one of the stiff Squires, sadly - I've had the same issue! Go to another binding, it's the Squires NOT that you need a junior binding (and if you look on this forum, some of the junior bindings seem like they can be just as bad!)

I've had good experiences with the Warden MNC 11 which have the bonus of being hugely adjustable if you end up changing boots, and have Attack 11 on my Kenja. Also enjoyed my friend's Look bindings - I think SPX not Pivots.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were to follow the din calculator when I'm 50, I wouldn't even fall into the range of adult bindings.
Yea, I think that poster meant well, but the reality is there in no standard for what is "adult size" versus "junior size" and we need to realize that the shortcomings are in the tools, not us.

I shouldn't have to forcefully jump into my bindings just so I can"be an adult" and use adult bindings. If it's not working, it's just not working. I've been called pint-sized all my life and that didn't change when I graduated from high school. Maybe my bindings need to follow suit and it just so happens that bindings mean to hold lighter people with smaller shoe sizes are called "junior" bindings.

Now we could be addressing the issue that they don't make adult bindings with us shorter and lighter adults in mind. If there is a difference in how well made an adult versus junior binding is, safety should always come first. I'd hate to think that those on "junior" bindings weren't safe. But is this a concern? Or is it just the naming/classification?

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I shouldn't have to forcefully jump into my bindings just so I can"be an adult" and use adult bindings. If it's not working, it's just not working. I've been called pint-sized all my life and that didn't change when I graduated from high school. Maybe my bindings need to follow suit and it just so happens that bindings mean to hold lighter people with smaller shoe sizes are called "junior" bindings.

Now we could be addressing the issue that they don't make adult bindings with us shorter and lighter adults in mind. If there is a difference in how well made an adult versus junior binding is, safety should always come first. I'd hate to think that those on "junior" bindings weren't safe. But is this a concern? Or is it just the naming/classification?

I think maybe you just got a sticky binding. Maybe they can send you a replacement? Maybe Marker bindings are just hit or miss and there are more reliable ones. I don't believe it's due to your din, I feel like this is a manufacturing issue.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think maybe you just got a sticky binding. Maybe they can send you a replacement? Maybe Marker bindings are just hit or miss and there are more reliable ones. I don't believe it's due to your din, I feel like this is a manufacturing issue.
I see @scandium said she had the experience of getting a sticky binding too, so perhaps this is the issue. I will try to talk to the shop to see what we can do. Thanks!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're not the first person to have issues with Marker bindings - I've had friends that fit into a W's medium or large still have issues clicking into the heel piece. Seems like it's more a lack of easy, ergonomic design than being tailored to larger skiers.

I've had a lot of luck with Salomon / Atomic Wardens (both the 11 and 13). The one pair of Tyrolia demos I had were also super smooth. If you're remounting a ski, I'd also ask a shop tech for their advice if there's a better option that lets you get closer to your current mount based on the hole patterns.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I'm 5'5 140 and don't love my Marker Squire heel pieces clicking in at the lodge or if I fall. They require a big stomp, which is hard on a trail after a fall, and the setting is ambiguous for step-in after a release. I think of myself as a light person, because I used to be real skinny, but now I'm a solid weight and I have trouble with them.
I had them on my 2014 skis and got them again 2020 because I heard they'd improved the issue . . . NOT!! My DIN is 5-6.
I've done a couple of demos over the years with Salomon, Tyrolia, or Look . . . no problem.
Just bought a ski with a Salomon . . . no more Marker Squire for me. Marker is supposed to be mechanically reliable. This is a use problem, perhaps for lighter or smaller skiers, or the ergonomics of female as opposed to male stomping.
As @Analisa says, it may not be your low DIN, but a peculiarity of the Marker binding.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Also had Marker Squires on my first skis with a 22.5 boot. They required effort for sure. Much happier with my Look Pivot 12s. Demoed some skis recently with Look SPX bindings and they felt smooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly