• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Juneau and Seattle Advice - Places to See, Things to Do and Food to Eat.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Looking for some advice from the PNW Divas or anyone that's visited Seattle or Juneau semi-recently....

My husband and I have 2 full days in Juneau. We are booked at an AirBnB in the Mendenhall Valley, will have a car, and looking for recommendations on how to spend those two days. Of course there's tons of hiking, driving up the coast line, explore downtown, ride the tram...For anyone that has been to Juneau, what were your favorites (places to see, hikes to hike, tours to take, food to eat, coffee shops to visit...)?

On our return flight, we have a 13 hour layover in Seattle (8:30am to 9:45pm). We plan on either renting a car for the day, Uber or public transportation. If you had one day in Seattle, what would you do and recommended ways to get there from the airport?

We enjoy being outdoors, good food, breweries, exploring interesting parts of cities (coffee shops, street art, beautiful architecture), did I mention good food? Pure tourist attractions (museums, etc), are not generally a highlight for us...but willing to entertain anything.

Christy

Angel Diva
Hey @elemmac-- how soon are you leaving?

I can give advice for both – – I live in Seattle and I've visited Juneau--but I am heading out of town and won't be without Internet the rest of the holiday weekend. I will probably randomly post ideas for you as we are driving up today.

One thing you might do now is see if you can book a car that you can cancel if you choose to, for Seattle. As you probably read there's a rental car shortage everywhere. I think a person could just head downtown via cab or public transit and you would have enough to do , but since you said you prefer to avoid touristy stuff, it might be nice to have the option of being somewhere besides downtown. Much of downtown Seattle still feels kinda rough as the 200,000 office workers haven't returned and there are a bazillion homeless people camping on the street. Our state just went back to normal non COVID restrictions yesterday, so it's like we are all just now waking up.

The Boeing tour, assuming it is running again, is actually in Everett, which is 30 miles north of Seattle. You would definitely need a car.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@Christy - We're not going until mid-August. So plenty of time! Good call on booking a car ahead, and cancelling if we don't need it (if there's no cancellation fee). Originally we only had a couple hours in Seattle, so weren't planning on leaving the airport. But our flight just got changed (and changed again...and again...hopefully they're finally done changing flights on us).

Christy

Angel Diva
2 of my 4 Alaska flights for September have been changed too. Okay cool more later. And it's no worries if you can't/don't want to get a car for Seattle--you can take light rail to both downtown and Capitol Hill, which is where I'd send a person who was less interested in touristy sites but wanted good food/drink/a real Seattle neighborhood.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
It’s been many years since I’ve visited Juneau ... I took a helicopter flight to hike on a glacier. Probably a very touristy thing to do.

elemmac

Angel Diva
It’s been many years since I’ve visited Juneau ... I took a helicopter flight to hike on a glacier. Probably a very touristy thing to do.
Even if touristy. That sounds like fun! Plus my husband has a love for riding in helicopters…haha. Do you recall which glacier?

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Even if touristy. That sounds like fun! Plus my husband has a love for riding in helicopters…haha. Do you recall which glacier?
I think it was the Gilkey glacier. It was my first and only helicopter ride ever and it was awesome. I got to sit by the window. The guide was excellent, giving us a history and geology of the glacier as he led us around. Before boarding the helicopter for the return trip, I took some glacier water in my water bottle. It had no taste whatsoever and very very cold.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly