• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jonny Mosely's Mogul Tips

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now if only I could implement these tips consistently and with as much precision...I feel like my reaction time can't possibly keep up with how quickly moguls appear on steeper terrain!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now if only I could implement these tips consistently and with as much precision...I feel like my reaction time can't possibly keep up with how quickly moguls appear on steeper terrain!
Quick tip on skiing bumps for anyone who gains unwanted speed.

Ski one bump and stop. Ski next bump and stop. Ski next bump and stop. Continue all the way down this way. There are many ways to get over or around bumps. Johnny's way gets you around the bump, not over it. Use any way you like, then stop at the bottom of each bump.

This stopping exercise will keep the bumps from coming at you with too much speed. And it will firm up your balance over your skis.

If you can't stop after each bump, you're probably aft. Bend ze knees to get yourself lower, and pull feet farther back up under you. Keep self low and keep feet back up under you the whole run. You'll feel extra tongue-shin pressure. That's a sign you're doing it right. If you can stop after each bump, you're no longer aft, and can slowly work on slowing instead of stopping after each bump.

The slower you can go, the more secure you'll be when you go faster.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Quick tip on skiing bumps for anyone who gains unwanted speed.

Ski one bump and stop. Ski next bump and stop. Ski next bump and stop. Continue all the way down this way. There are many ways to get over or around bumps. Johnny's way gets you around the bump, not over it. Use any way you like, then stop at the bottom of each bump.

This stopping exercise will keep the bumps from coming at you with too much speed. And it will firm up your balance over your skis.

If you can't stop after each bump, you're probably aft. Bend ze knees to get yourself lower, and pull feet farther back up under you. Keep self low and keep feet back up under you the whole run. You'll feel extra tongue-shin pressure. That's a sign you're doing it right. If you can stop after each bump, you're no longer aft, and can slowly work on slowing instead of stopping after each bump.

The slower you can go, the more secure you'll be when you go faster.

I hate trying to think this over in the summer when I can't go play with it on snow.. but I feel like I am usually more 2 footed throughout the turn when skiing bumps, or at least I try to be. And I do end up fighting to stay forward and will drift back eventually for one reason or another as the bumps get steeper. In the video, unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems that much more of an outside ski weight distribution is discussed. Is this accurate? I'm all sitting here like wait, what do I do now?? lol

Jilly

Staff member
OK, I haven't watched it yet, but for @MissySki - hands up and really forward. That keeps the weight forward. If you plant your pole on the other side of the bump, you are already heading in the right direction.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate trying to think this over in the summer when I can't go play with it on snow.. but I feel like I am usually more 2 footed throughout the turn when skiing bumps, or at least I try to be. And I do end up fighting to stay forward and will drift back eventually for one reason or another as the bumps get steeper. In the video, unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems that much more of an outside ski weight distribution is discussed. Is this accurate? I'm all sitting here like wait, what do I do now?? lol
You are right that Johnny Moseley is promoting skiing from foot to foot in the bumps. He is also promoting skiing around the bumps in the troughs.

This way is not so much accurate as it is one way to ski bumps. There are more ways that one to get over/around bumps.

For beginners or cautious bump skiers who are having trouble maintaining control in the bumps, side-slipping then pivot-slipping the bumps may keep them slower than Johnny's way and build more confidence. Sometimes. It depends on the bumps and it depends on the skier.

I've guided never-ever first-day skiers down unexpected bumps using a foot-to-foot approach. We did stem-steps. The bumps appeared without expectation, no warning, on a green trail that should have been groomed. The bumps were small and soft, and they were able to do the stem-step. They felt so accomplished! As they should have.

Side-slipping morphing into pivot-slipping is close to two-footed. It can be the slowes path down the hill on bumps. It's my preferred way to start skiing bumps.

Aiming for the outside of the troughs, the ramps, the berms, can be more two-footed. Or it can be done the Johnny Moseley way, on the new outside ski.

There are other progressions to skiing bumps. This is not all of them.

For each of these options, stopping at the bottom of each bump requires that the skier not be aft. So doing that accomplishes these two things:

1. It builds confidence because the skier controls the speed of descent.
2. It forces the skier to find a way to balance on the skis so that they don't take off across the bump field at the bottom of the bump (aka the out-of-control travers across all the bumps, with the skier holding on for dear life). Stopping requires the skier to not be aft.

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. Sacramento Bee. I grew up in Davis, next to Sacramento, and know that paper well. Good to know they are still kicking. Nice video. Thanks for finding that!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @liquidfeet stated there are so many ways to teach, learn, and ski bumps depending on ability and goals and the bumps themselves. I have found that with wider skis an even weight pressure from ski to ski is key to not having the ski tips cross as it is easy to over or under turn unevenly weighted skis. That said, my upper body absolutely is aiming to remain over the outside ski so I do not get caught to the inside, and back at the end of each rapid turn. In my mind one refers to where the body is in space relative to its various parts, and the other to how much down pressure against the snow the ski is exerting. Related but different.

Bending of knees is key, but so is making sure to allow enough extension between bumps or the legs are and body are so scrunched up that inevitably a large mogul appears out of nowhere and I am already too compressed to allow for absorbing the new beast in front of me and have nowhere to go but backwards...seldom a good place to ski from unless done on purpose.

I only wish I could ski bumps with speed and that type of athleticism. Just flowing them in control is a good day for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly