• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2021 ski box fit?

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
For some reason, I'm having a hard time fitting a box to my new Jeep. I have an older Thule box that I hoped to put on, but the problem seems to be clearance with the fairing on the hatch.

Fit-my-car suggests some options, but without guaranteeing that the box won't touch the tailgate. I'd rather not buy a new box, but will do so IF I can be sure of a proper fit.

This can't be an issue unique to me. What do you have on your Jeep, that works??? My best option seems to be a Thule Motion XT XL (xc skis are up to 200 cm) but again, without guarantees!
Thanks!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
REI has a Thule fit finder. Did you try checking that?

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, I did. Something on the site says "minimal risk" of contact with the hatch. There's a spec sheet. "Minimal" doesn't quite do it for me: I just would like to see what other people have set up on their late model Jeep GC's.
Thanks!

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Does the Jeep have a factory installed rack with a rail system? If so, can you move it forward?

Just for clarity, my old vehicle was a GMC Envoy XL with factory racks. We purchased a Thule box that I believe was a XL size. When I traded in the GMC for a Lincoln MKX, which is smaller, I was worried about the Thule box fitting. The Lincoln didn't come with factory racks but came with a rail system that runs vertically on each side of the car from back to front. We had to buy Thule racks that fit across the vehicle that attaches to the rails. The rail system has a track where we can move the cross racks backward or forward that allowed us to adjust how to Thule box fits on top of our vehicle. Luckily, our box just fits after we adjusted the rails forward.

I hope your Jeep allows you to make similar adjustments. If not, you could sell your current box and buy a new one. Not ideal, but at least you could recoup some of the money by selling the one you have. There is always someone out there looking for rooftop boxes and Thule has a great reputation, so should be an easy sale. Good luck.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to put a new Thule box on my Jeep Cherokee, but I couldn't find an acceptable fit given the hatch and the antennae. But my bigger problem is that the added height won't meet the clearance limits in any garage I can find in downtown DC. For now, skis will have to remain inside the vehicle.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Right, I can't confirm that a NEW thule box will clear the hatch. Very frustrating.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Does the Jeep have a factory installed rack with a rail system? If so, can you move it forward?

Just for clarity, my old vehicle was a GMC Envoy XL with factory racks. We purchased a Thule box that I believe was a XL size. When I traded in the GMC for a Lincoln MKX, which is smaller, I was worried about the Thule box fitting. The Lincoln didn't come with factory racks but came with a rail system that runs vertically on each side of the car from back to front. We had to buy Thule racks that fit across the vehicle that attaches to the rails. The rail system has a track where we can move the cross racks backward or forward that allowed us to adjust how to Thule box fits on top of our vehicle. Luckily, our box just fits after we adjusted the rails forward.

I hope your Jeep allows you to make similar adjustments. If not, you could sell your current box and buy a new one. Not ideal, but at least you could recoup some of the money by selling the one you have. There is always someone out there looking for rooftop boxes and Thule has a great reputation, so should be an easy sale. Good luck.
Maybe if I try the mopar rack, which I think can slide back and forth on the rails.. I bought the thule feet that attaches to the rail system, but it has fixed mounting points.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna