• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jacket talk.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's been some talk about jackets on another thread, so I thought maybe we could address that here.

Seems to me that finding the proper ski jacket has become increasingly complicated. Instead of just a jacket, many companies offer a dizzying array of jacket "systems," where you have to buy a hard shell, then a liner that can be PolarTec or down or some such product. Or else they're so "fashion conscious" that they're completely ridiculous; not warm, not enough pockets, etc.

For me, it's all too complicated. And combine that with finding something in a small size (4 or 6), and it's especially daunting.

Luckily, a couple years ago I found something that's just right: a Columbia Titanium jacket that had the shell and zip-out liner already assembled. It's very, very warm, has a lot of pockets, and even looks good (my old jacket made me look like a refrigerator on skis. With this one, you can tell I'm a girl, I think). Plus if I want, I can take the liner out and just wear the shell with something lighter underneath. Or I can wear the liner alone, as a jacket (though not to ski in; it doesn't have the water repellency of the shell).

So how do you handle the jacket question? What've you found that works for you?

Marigee

Angel Diva
I have 3 shells. Two have no insulation, but have LOTS of pockets, powder skirts, pit zips, etc. the third is lightly insulated and has all the pockets, etc. I wear a North Face fleece (kids size) as a middle layer over my base layer. If it is really cold I wear a wind stopper vest from REI over my base layer and underneath my fleece jacket. I don't like zip-ins because they feel too bulky. I just have a couple of fleeces (one heavy and one light) that I can use under any of my shells. It's kind of a mix and match system. I buy in the spring when everything is on sale. I have been lucky to have found jackets in small sizes - and on sale too! Unfortunately pants are not so easy to find!

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I first started skiing regularly, I bought shells. I was not warm enough most ski days. I moved onto jackets with strategic pits zips etc. Like others here, I almost always buy off season (the last three jackets were purchased in July).
The Spyder jacket I have almost has too many pockets! I can't find things because it's too hard to remember exactly which pocket it's in!
I also have a Columbia titanium (i think) which has a shell over a insulated shorter jacket, that snaps together. I have a Bogner that I got for its simplicity (I am NOT kidding, it's very simple) which I am almost embarrassed about, but not enough to not wear it when it seems to be the right choice weather wise.
It's feels more comfortable to me to have an insulated jacket and fewer heavy layers. Lighter layers of silk/smartwool have become my standard. It was time to give up on synthetic undies, the aroma was too long lasting! In fact, I am sure that synthetics increase B.O.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like the new "systems" because each component costs what 1complete jacket used to cost. So to get something warm, you pay twice, or so it seems.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a 3-in-1 gal. A North Face jacket sold with a zip in fleece liner that I can change out with other compatible softshells (which is good since I lost the original one somewhere last season). Lots of pockets, nice and warm, and lots of options for what the weather is on any particular day. Most of the time, I wear only a base layer under the jacket. My only gripe about my North Face jacket is that is doesn't have a D-ring. I guess it's so that you don't put your lift ticket on one layer and then decide to remove it later. I echo the sentiments of ISki in that the systems that are sold seperately are outrageous in price. Just got hubby a 3-in-1 Columbia Titanium and he's looking forward to trying it out. His last jacket was just the hard shell so he had to load up with other layers as needed.

But you are right, SkiDiva, so many options create a good deal of confusion and frustration.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel the cold, so I'm not a big fan of the layering approach, I hate having to peel off four layers every time I go inside, and I find it restricts movement. I wear an insulated jacket most days (atm - DNA Cat Lady), I wear a shell or a fleece with a padded vest on the warmest days. I have a few hard shells, but I will probably pick up a soft shell soon (maybe in France). I doubt I will wear it very much on the slopes though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna