• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is this a bit bold?

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Had lessons with Instructor “#1” last year, good lessons, clearly. Had a group lesson with Instructor “#2” this season and it was a better fit. Booked a lesson with #2. Received a text from #1 saying “The booking is already done, but I still have some time to change it.” #1 then inquired about dates and offered to make the reservation. I’m ignoring the text. Not a big deal, obviously, but a bit brash to look up my phone # and ask about changing my reservation and instructor request? Not happening

marzNC

Angel Diva
Booked a lesson with #2. Received a text from #1 saying “The booking is already done, but I still have some time to change it.”
Did #1 know you specifically asked for a private with #2? Could be assuming that you were assigned a random instructor when looking at the roster. Especially if #2 isn't usually requested for private lessons. Seems better to reply to the text politely that you are set for the lesson, in the sense of "Thanks but no thanks." Just a thought.

When my regular instructor at Alta was on the injured list (happened a couple weeks before I arrived for a mid-season trip), the ski school picked another L3 instructor when I set up a semi-private lesson. Later that day I got recommendations from my usual instructor and the random instructor wasn't on the list. I didn't ask to switch. Turned out the assigned instructor was a perfect fit for what my ski buddy and I were interested in doing that week. We did a second lesson with him later in the week. However, we picked an instructor from the list for the next trip later that season. We often talk to the random instructor when we see him on the slopes, so no hard feelings there.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting that the instructor found your number. Agree with @marzNC about texting back politely. I’d say something like “Thanks for checking in but I will stick to the current booking.” Instructor#1 should get the message, if not, then ignore.
There is an instructor at my mountain who solicites private lessons every single week with my ski buddy, whether he needs a lesson or not. My friend fell for it a few times last season and I now have to remind him that he does not need weekly private lessons.

Jilly

Staff member
I've never had a students number, whether it was a group or private lesson. Sometimes not even a last name! That information should only be with the ski school admins.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Did #1 know you specifically asked for a private with #2? Could be assuming that you were assigned a random instructor when looking at the roster. Especially if #2 isn't usually requested for private lessons. Seems better to reply to the text politely that you are set for the lesson, in the sense of "Thanks but no thanks." Just a thought.

When my regular instructor at Alta was on the injured list (happened a couple weeks before I arrived for a mid-season trip), the ski school picked another L3 instructor when I set up a semi-private lesson. Later that day I got recommendations from my usual instructor and the random instructor wasn't on the list. I didn't ask to switch. Turned out the assigned instructor was a perfect fit for what my ski buddy and I were interested in doing that week. We did a second lesson with him later in the week. However, we picked an instructor from the list for the next trip later that season. We often talk to the random instructor when we see him on the slopes, so no hard feelings there.
I don’t whether #1 knew I’d specifically requested #2, but I’m guessing #1 looked at my booking and saw the request and obtained my phone # there. A polite reply is probably best

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Interesting that the instructor found your number. Agree with @marzNC about texting back politely. I’d say something like “Thanks for checking in but I will stick to the current booking.” Instructor#1 should get the message, if not, then ignore.
There is an instructor at my mountain who solicites private lessons every single week with my ski buddy, whether he needs a lesson or not. My friend fell for it a few times last season and I now have to remind him that he does not need weekly private lessons.
Shouldn’t be difficult to find my #, as it’s on the booking. Uncool to use it.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I've never had a students number, whether it was a group or private lesson. Sometimes not even a last name! That information should only be with the ski school admins.
Thanks, @Jilly. No biggie, but somewhat intrusive. Can’t imagine the Ski School would be ok with that.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
but a bit brash to look up my phone # and ask about changing my reservation and instructor request?
Yes. especially since instructor 1 didn't have your number to begin with.
Are the instructors that desperate for privates or "requests"? Where I'm at is very dysfunctional - all the high level instructors get booked up on the weekends by those who want to pay $935 for a 6 hour private. Then they all compete with each other to get the "clients" that book the most privates.
Like a little game. Kind of like what @Susan L described.
Reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo... mine mine mine

Last edited:

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our instructors have all our information... email, cell etc. They emailed seeing if we wanted to book for next year so we had first pick of times before they opened up booking to the general public. Totally respectful.

But if I got a message like that, I would be annoyed and definitely 100% not changing the booking. That is pretty rude!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I disagree that it's "not a big deal."

1. Why would instructors have client contact info? Did the ski school make it available to them? From a management perspective, I'd consider that extremely inappropriate. As a client I would consider that a violation of my privacy.
  2. Why is an instructor bypassing the ski school's booking process to poach a lesson from another instructor? I would fire Instructor #1 in the spot for that alone.
  3. Our ski school notes when an instructor has been requested; it impacts their commission rate. That just makes Instructor #1's behavior even more snake-like if he/she knew that Instructor #2 was a request. Didn't know? Well hey, that's the reason the office staff handles booking.
Everything about that is shady.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then they all compete with each other to get the "clients" that book the most privates.
Like a little game. Kind of like what @Susan L described.
Reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo... mine mine mine

Our instructors make more money if they are requested, and we are vigilant about honoring and recording those requests. Absent a request, the manager usually assigns clients to instructors (unless it's last-minute and the client just wants any available opening).

The manager is an experienced instructor who knows her staff well, and making good instructor-client matches is just good customer service. But it also increases the likelihood that an instructor will garner more requests over time. We also provide clinics and other professional development opportunities for instructors, again with the aim of providing a quality product to our clients, but also helping the instructors become those "high-level" heavily-booked people who can make decent money teaching skiing.

The bottom line is that you have to hustle a bit to make money instructing, but a good ski school will help you advance without creating a zero-sum environment that rewards crossing boundries of ethics and propriety.

KBee

Angel Diva
I'd reply, and decline so that the NO is unambiguous and they don't contact you again if you don't want them to. And, if they do contact you again, I'd ask their boss to deal with it, and block their number.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I disagree that it's "not a big deal."

1. Why would instructors have client contact info? Did the ski school make it available to them? From a management perspective, I'd consider that extremely inappropriate. As a client I would consider that a violation of my privacy.
  2. Why is an instructor bypassing the ski school's booking process to poach a lesson from another instructor? I would fire Instructor #1 in the spot for that alone.
  3. Our ski school notes when an instructor has been requested; it impacts their commission rate. That just makes Instructor #1's behavior even more snake-like if he/she knew that Instructor #2 was a request. Didn't know? Well hey, that's the reason the office staff handles booking.
Everything about that is shady.
As I’ve thought about this, I have to agree with everything you’ve said, @SallyCat. With all due respect to those who’ve suggested a polite response, I will not be doing this, as it was not ok for #1 to obtain and use my phone #. I will not validate that intrusion with a reply of any kind.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I'd reply, and decline so that the NO is unambiguous and they don't contact you again if you don't want them to. And, if they do contact you again, I'd ask their boss to deal with it, and block their number.
Thank-you for the response, @KBee, but to respond would only validate that #1 obtained and used my # without permission.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This seems really strange to me. Is it a small ski school? How would #1 even be privy to who was booking what unless they are in management/administration.
The only time I could even imagine this happening is if #2 knew you had already taken a private with #1 and somehow considered you a client of #1 and made them aware of the booking????
If you have no intentions of taking lessons from #1 again, then I'd just ignore the text/call and leave it at that.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Not a small ski school. Major resort. Good points, @NewEnglandSkier. I did tell #2 during the group lesson, that I’d had lessons with #1 last year and I said very nice things, made positive comments. I don’t know what communication they may have had. I have no intention of taking lessons from #1 again, and I am ignoring the text.

KBee

Angel Diva
Thank-you for the response, @KBee, but to respond would only validate that #1 obtained and used my # without permission.

Hope they leave you alone. I'm dealing with having to say no over and over to someone who is being really pushy. Wonder if I was clear enough in the beginning. Maybe not giving an in would have been best. It's kind of creepy either way. I'd call the school over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly