• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is there a trick to those toe warmers?

Nic Nic

Certified Ski Diva
...getting them to actually work inside the boot? I first tried them on the outside of my sock...nothing. Then I put them directly on my toes under the sock (I know, I know - not recommended)...still not warm. Beginning to think these things just don't get enough oxygen in those ski boots to allow them to work properly? Anyone else have better luck? Would like to use these with my kids as they complain about cold toes more than I do...

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you wait for the warmers to get warm before putting in your boots? My DD started taking care of her own warmers and boots this season and her feet kept getting cold. I checked one day and found that she was putting the warmers in her boots before they were warm. Now I just have to remind her to open the warmers a few min earlier. She puts the warmers on the bottom of her feet, at her toes, on top of her socks. After getting cold toes yesterday, I used warmers today for the first time, on top of my toes, outside of my socks. Wow, what a difference! It was cold outside (CO cold, not CA cold) and my toes were fine.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those little suckers never worked for me either. Have attempted several times; and then go and use them in my gloves instead.

Jilly

Staff member
I start them up probably at least 15 min before I put my boots on. Never had a problem and the fit is really tight with them on top. Also I used the hand warmer between my boot and a boot glove. I broke down and got boot warmers this summer installed in my custom footbeds. Love them....

Nic Nic

Certified Ski Diva
Well I didn't wait 15 min but I did wait until I could feel them warm up...figured that was enough. Ill try waiting longer and putting them under my toes next time.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't these things make your boots really uncomfortable?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm another who has found the toe warmers just don't work for me. I'd let them warm up, then place them on my toes (over the sock) and for a while it was great. Then all heat was gone - I'm assuming due to lack of oxygen. When I would take them out at lunch time, they were stone cold - but would actually heat up again when exposed to the air. Also tried them between the boot gloves and the boot - same thing: they got cold. So, like @Jilly, I gave in and bought boot heaters this year. So far I'm liking those a lot.

Jilly

Staff member
I had my fitter install an after market type in the custom footbed. More money, but well worth it. Can't feel the wire and I don't feel like I'm standing on a golf ball either. He did a great professional job!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can already tell that boot heaters will be in my futures...that is, after I get some BOOTS! ;)
You may find that after you have properly fitted boots, you don't have cold toes nearly as often.

altagirl

Staff member
You may find that after you have properly fitted boots, you don't have cold toes nearly as often.
I get told this all the time but I've never found it to be true (though I understand how it could be! ). Last year I even went in to buy boot heaters, and the shop talked me out of it and just did free boot work for me instead. My boots honestly could not be any more comfortable and if its close to 32 degrees my feet stay nice and warm. However once its below about 25 they're blocks of ice. I don't know how it could be caused by poor boot fit but solidly related to the temperature (plus my hands freeze similarly without heaters). So anyway I'm back to the boot fitter again to try and convince them to let me buy boot heaters this year. haha. TAKE MY MONEY!

That said, the disposable heaters do help me but some days are better than others.

altagirl

Staff member
Do you have a bad batch of them ? Can happen get a dud packet of them
Agreed. That's also one of the plusses of letting them warm up first - you know they are functional.

I usually drop them in my boots on the drive up, so it warms up the boot itself, then stick them in place when I'm booting up.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get told this all the time but I've never found it to be true (though I understand how it could be! ). Last year I even went in to buy boot heaters, and the shop talked me out of it and just did free boot work for me instead. My boots honestly could not be any more comfortable and if its close to 32 degrees my feet stay nice and warm. However once its below about 25 they're blocks of ice. I don't know how it could be caused by poor boot fit but solidly related to the temperature (plus my hands freeze similarly without heaters). So anyway I'm back to the boot fitter again to try and convince them to let me buy boot heaters this year. haha. TAKE MY MONEY!

That said, the disposable heaters do help me but some days are better than others.

Yeah, my toes get cold in 45* weather. It is what it is.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
I've never had luck with the chemical packs or the battery powered boot heaters. Lots of times if my feet are cold it's because I over dressed and my feet got sweaty.

I've started using a little body powder on my feet before putting my socks on to help keep them dry. I also wear a thin wicking liner sock and change into dry socks at lunch.

I just wore my new boot gloves for the first time and it kept my feet really warm. Snow didn't get caked in my lower boot buckles like it normally does. Made me wonder if part of my damp sock problem was from my boots leaking.

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
I finally broke down towards the end of last season and bought boot heaters. My toes would turn to ice if the temperature was below 32. When I talked to the boot fitter about my cold toes, he did double check my boot fit. This is my third season in these boots. The boot heaters do help, but my toes still get cold, just not as fast and not as cold. When it is really cold out, I usually run the the battery down by early afternoon.

I still drop hand warmers in my boots for the drive up. If it is going to be brutally cold, I'll add toe warmers to the tops of my feet.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to use the chemical warmers, but bought boot heaters instead and am thrilled with them.

For the chemical packs:
  1. Make sure your boots are totally dry and warm first, otherwise, nothing will help. Seriously. Get a boot dryer/warmer or a HotGear bag, or at least keep them on the floor of the car directly under the heater, never in the trunk or car top carrier.
  2. Only buy Toastie Toes - they're the only ones that are really thin and get hot, and I've never found a dud in that brand.
  3. Open them and let them sit for 10-15 minutes - I open them up, then get my gear out and around. Check them for heat output before you put them in your boots. The warmer they are now, the longer they'll stay warm once deprived of airflow.
  4. Place them in your liners for best results - peel the paper from the sticky side, and place it sticky side up on your fingertips, pointy part away from you. Slide your hand and the warmer into your boot, bend your wrist, shove your fingers to the very end of the toe box, then firmly press the warmer up into the top of the toe box. Rub the warmer firmly up into the liner, especially the flat edge nearest the back of the boot. Now slide your foot in gently, ooching your toes in under the warmer. You should be good for 2-4 hours or so.
  5. When you come in for a break or lunch, undo your buckles so the warmers get some air, and they should heat up again.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tips Volklgirl! I never knew if they should go under the foot or over the toes. I had a disastrous attempt under the foot once and never tried again...

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used them regularly for years of skiing and racing, then we decided that what we're spending on warmers for both of us for 50-60 days a year, we could just buy Therm-ics and be done with it. :-) Love them.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had very cold toes in my old boots, after a couple yrs got intuition liners and no more cold toes. Now have new boots ( a size smaller) and once again having the toe issue. I'm thinking a new pair of liners is prolly in my future, but hard to justify right now, so I'll be making due with the chemical packs for a bit (if I can find any room in my toe box that is).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna