• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is resort skiing getting more dangerous?

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I got hit in the lift line last week. Idiot 20-something who I suspect was drunk and wouldn't have known how to stop even when sober. The drinking thing is a whole 'nuther topic.
Is it just me or are people pounding back way more beer and liquor during their breaks on the ski mountains these days? 2 or 3 20 ounce beers seems like a lot to me before heading back out to ski. And are the resorts promoting the drinking more during the day or is it just I'm more aware?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread is very unsettling. Videos of extreme skiing are everywhere. And just look at the photos advertising skiing to the public. This marketing strategy shapes the perceptions of what skiing is all about for recreational wannabes. Not good.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
This thread is very unsettling. Videos of extreme skiing are everywhere. And just look at the photos advertising skiing to the public. This marketing strategy shapes the perceptions of what skiing is all about for recreational wannabes. Not good.
Good point. After viewing a few of these photos/videos placed by resort marketing, the perception of what is allowable/safe while inbounds may be strongly skewed to encourage unsafe practice of the sport.

Christy

Angel Diva
You know how people have bad experiences with, for example, airlines, and they post about it on social media and tweet about it, gain a lot of publicity, and the airline is forced to respond? I think everyone should be doing that with incidents at specific resorts. See if you can force them to acknowledge what happened and respond. Maybe even get the attention of local press. The incidents like @GaSkier described, where she was pulled over, hit by a snowboarder speeding and straight lining, and ski patrol sees the whole thing and does nothing… That's unacceptable. The resort needs to get bad publicity because of this. I think that's the only way anything is going to change.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I called out my mountain with the article shared above on FB, and offended a lot of people who work there. How about instead of being offended, we LISTEN, because I am NOT alone in wanting to see some changes/rules with teeth that help make the mountain safer particularly on busy days. Ask just about anybody on the gondola and they'll tell you more needs to be done.

I get the inherent dangers of the sport and am out there knowing full well I can break a leg (been there, done that) hit a tree (don't plan on that--I'm too cautious) or some other weird thing like skiing over a rock or root, and I accept those risks. But I have a hard time accepting the out of control behavior that I believe could be curtailed quite a lot if passes were regularly pulled (starting for a day for first offense, a month for second offense, and the season for third offense.) Word would get out REALLY fast and people would start to use their heads when skiing in busy zones on busy days. But, I brought that up and got LAMBASTED. Because apparently, I'm not having enough fun out there was the sentiment. Um...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with this, too. Add in fat skis that people can park and ride fast on, (or boards) and it suddenly becomes all about speed and "shredding".

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I called out my mountain with the article shared above on FB, and offended a lot of people who work there. How about instead of being offended, we LISTEN, because I am NOT alone in wanting to see some changes/rules with teeth that help make the mountain safer particularly on busy days. Ask just about anybody on the gondola and they'll tell you more needs to be done.

I get the inherent dangers of the sport and am out there knowing full well I can break a leg (been there, done that) hit a tree (don't plan on that--I'm too cautious) or some other weird thing like skiing over a rock or root, and I accept those risks. But I have a hard time accepting the out of control behavior that I believe could be curtailed quite a lot if passes were regularly pulled (starting for a day for first offense, a month for second offense, and the season for third offense.) Word would get out REALLY fast and people would start to use their heads when skiing in busy zones on busy days. But, I brought that up and got LAMBASTED. Because apparently, I'm not having enough fun out there was the sentiment. Um...
Ouch! So fun = outrageous behavior? LOL!

Christy

Angel Diva
I wonder why people that work there were offended. It's really a management policy that we're talking about.

Yeah I hate it when people conflate inherent risks like hitting a tree with an out-of-control skier. The latter is not an inherent risk IMO.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you!! @Christy, did you see my post on FB? I ended up deleting it. I cited a friend of a friend who had his spine fractured this season when he was struck and left for dead, found by patrol and has filed a police report (I should find that) and when I brought that up, the response was anything but kind. I had asked, "what would you tell him? That the risks are there and too bad?" Then I was accused of exaggerating many things. I'm pretty mellow, but when I see injustices, I get MAD. Needless to say, I'm pretty mad right now!

So, yes, there is a difference between inherent risks and risks from people who don't respect the rules of the mountain. God forbid the mountain get a "black eye" for cracking down on unsafe practices by their patrons. Kind of like enforcing speed laws on the freeways. They are one in the same to me.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
My opinion is that terrain parks add to the issue and attitude.
I have noticed at the two main resorts I ski that the runs around and connected to the terrain park areas are the most sketchy. I don't feel safe per se in those areas as the youngins seem to have a complete disregard for the safety of anyone around them. They ski way too fast, don't look where they are going, and are often times intoxicated. They bomb their way from the lift to the terrain areas, often times on gentle green runs with newer skiers on them. Just a complete lack of respect for anyone beyond the group of friends. And they all seem to have earbuds jammed into their ears, oblivious to anyone around them.

And yes, I do believe the resorts are promoting this "drink and ski" environment. The sheer numbers of beer cans I see below the lifts and the large can and serving size glasses at the restaurants are evidence of a drinking-encouraged culture. Don't get us wrong, we drink. But we wait till we are off the runs. I need my wits about me to avoid the crazies!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
btw, I can't view the original article that began this topic. I'm blocked out for some reason.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other interesting observation I have is that the worst offenders are also the ones who have the cheapest season passes. The student/college passes, which are several hundred dollars CHEAPER than an adult pass. So, the mountains are catering to those who spend the least? :rolleyes: These are also the same folks who bring a bag lunch and eat it in the lodges (which is against mountain policy.) Pretty sure they aren't spending any money in the shops, either.

My mountain recently had a "safety month" which I do applaud. Problem is, the people who need to participate in it the most are the ones who couldn't care less. I mean, it's great to educate the younger generation, but at the end of the day, those kids are going to just copy what their big brother (or sister, or parent) is doing anyway, not what the mountain and skier's code tells them to do. And I guarantee you, they don't care about some little pieces of swag they can get for reciting the code. The ONLY thing that's going to speak to that demographic are penalties (pulling passes, then making them earn them back by reciting the code from memory, or perhaps watching a video.) I saw the safety month as more of a marketing opportunity than anything. Again, it's not a BAD thing, but at the end of the day, it won't make enough difference at ALL.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got hit in the lift line last week. Idiot 20-something who I suspect was drunk and wouldn't have known how to stop even when sober. The drinking thing is a whole 'nuther topic.
Or smoking pot! I have been stuck on a chair in multiple occasions in CA/NV/CO with guys smoking a joint like it’s nothing. Call me a snowflake but I think ski resorts should be drug/alcohol free.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But, I brought that up and got LAMBASTED. Because apparently, I'm not having enough fun out there was the sentiment. Um...

Wow. Perhaps they consider reckless behavior as Fun.

Skiing weekdays, I hope to not reach this point, but ... I have wondered if recklessness, accepted by ski resorts, will be the trigger that causes me to retire my skis.

Christy

Angel Diva
Thank you!! @Christy, did you see my post on FB? I ended up deleting it. I cited a friend of a friend who had his spine fractured this season when he was struck and left for dead, found by patrol and has filed a police report (I should find that) and when I brought that up, the response was anything but kind. I had asked, "what would you tell him? That the risks are there and too bad?" Then I was accused of exaggerating many things. I'm pretty mellow, but when I see injustices, I get MAD. Needless to say, I'm pretty mad right now!

So, yes, there is a difference between inherent risks and risks from people who don't respect the rules of the mountain. God forbid the mountain get a "black eye" for cracking down on unsafe practices by their patrons. Kind of like enforcing speed laws on the freeways. They are one in the same to me.

WOW. Keep us updated on what happens with the police. Will they actively look for witnesses?

This person has a lot on their plate but I think they should go to the press. It would be a good way to bring awareness to this problem. A hit and run makes the news, even in my big city--why should this be any different?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW. Keep us updated on what happens with the police. Will they actively look for witnesses?

This person has a lot on their plate but I think they should go to the press. It would be a good way to bring awareness to this problem. A hit and run makes the news, even in my big city--why should this be any different?
I don't know what they are doing. I just know they filed a report. I'll have to ask the person I know who knows them. It's true that going to the press might bring the attention this issue needs. I wonder if there is attorney involved and they were advised to keep quiet? Who knows.

I'm debating starting a petition and gathering signatures on the gondola.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you!! @Christy, did you see my post on FB? I ended up deleting it. I cited a friend of a friend who had his spine fractured this season when he was struck and left for dead, found by patrol and has filed a police report (I should find that) and when I brought that up, the response was anything but kind.
....I don't know what they are doing. I just know they filed a report. I'll have to ask the person I know who knows them. It's true that going to the press might bring the attention this issue needs. I wonder if there is attorney involved and they were advised to keep quiet? Who knows.

If a lawsuit is in the works, I think most lawyers will advise someone to stay away from the press and social media.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If a lawsuit is in the works, I think most lawyers will advise someone to stay away from the press and social media.
Yes. I'm not sure if there is one or not, but yes, that's true. The rest of the injuries that happen are kept very hush hush.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Or smoking pot! I have been stuck on a chair in multiple occasions in CA/NV/CO with guys smoking a joint like it’s nothing. Call me a snowflake but I think ski resorts should be drug/alcohol free.
I agree too. Id love for it to be cigarette free also. Nothin like getting a big cloud of smoke in your face when you're skiing. Yuck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna