• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Is it BAD if bindings are too old for release check?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Ask this on behalf of a friend: brought skis to a shop to check release, was told the bindings are too old to check.

Is that just a sales gimmick for customers to get new skis?

Questions:
1) Is that bad?
2) Is it still SAFE to use?
3) Any recommendations for online store(s) for pre-owned skis?
4) Budget wise, is it possible to get boots + skis < $800?

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
Definitely not a sales gimmick. If a shop were to test an indemnified binding, it would void the insurance coverage the shop carries. There's an indemnified binding list (here's a link to an older one), but ultimately it's up to the shop tech to determine if their machine will properly test a binding.

Also, it's worth knowing that even if the binding is good, if boot soles are too worn that can impact the safety release test too.

So..
1. I would not risk it.
2. I would not risk it. There are other places to save money. My knees (and the rest of me!) are too important.
3. Search for demo skis - deals abound.
4. Definitely!

alison wong

Angel Diva
Consider ski season is starting, is it too late to find good deals?

Where can one find demo skis to purchase? My friend has a particular brand & model in mind.

It is one of those things that one is getting ready for a ski trip and just realized there maybe potential "issues" w/ the gear....

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Consider ski season is starting, is it too late to find good deals?

Where can one find demo skis to purchase? My friend has a particular brand & model in mind.

It is one of those things that one is getting ready for a ski trip and just realized there maybe potential "issues" w/ the gear....
eBay and Powder 7 sell quite a few demo skis - not sure what she has in mind but worth a look. Shops likely won't sell their demos until closer to the end of the season or at least until they have sold the stock on the wall.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Put more money towards the boots than skis, then get us Diva enablers on the hunt for the skis. :becky:
That being said, I'd compromise on the skis before I'd compromise on the boots. And you'll get the same advice from any of us here. Ask the shop(s) if they have any previous years' boots around that are in her size. If she's a small size, that could be the case.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Is the binding integrated? If not, I would think they could mount some new bindings?

If it's just a single trip for the year, may be better off bringing her own boots and renting performance skis until she can get a demo or sale pair in the spring.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am wondering if the boots are as old as the bindings!! I saw a guy's boots refused at a rental shot because the sole was worn out into a ( shape at the heel and toe; it wouldn't go securely into a binding!1

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I am wondering if the boots are as old as the bindings!! I saw a guy's boots refused at a rental shot because the sole was worn out into a ( shape at the heel and toe; it wouldn't go securely into a binding!1
Oooh, good point. In that case, I'd go and find new boots on sale and then rent. Then look for skis and deals later.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I am wondering if the boots are as old as the bindings!!
"They" are the same age. Coz they were bought together during a sale years ago.

I'd go and find new boots on sale
That's what I told my friend: "its time for you to divorce your ski boots and get new ones."

Is the binding integrated?
Yes, binding is integrated.

My friend is 5'3", intermediate skier, would 156 length be suitable for a ski length? 160 will be too long, correct?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Ask the shop(s) if they have any previous years' boots around that are in her size. If she's a small size, that could be the case.
Yep, that's my case. I wear size 6 shoes. My boot fitter found me a pair of Lange Racer performance boots, brand new, older year model. I was told it'd cost ~$600 brand new, i only paid $299 for it.

As for my friend: small feet, size 5.5 - 6. I suggested this idea to my friend about new boots old models. I also reached out to my boot fitter to see if he can find something.

newboots

Angel Diva
The bindings might be your most important safety feature. Well, helmet, too. Bindings may well save your knees, but also the rest of your body in certain falls. Tell her not to take chances! Well-fitted boots and rental or demo skis are the best idea.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rossi temptation model - 80 or 84 waist, length mid 150's.

or something similar to that model......
Current year, or prior years? They changed them drastically this year. The old version is a REALLY nice ski, and is a great ski to learn to make great turns on. If it's previous years, then they are out there all over the place and can be found for a very reasonable price.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Current year, or prior years? They changed them drastically this year. The old version is a REALLY nice ski, and is a great ski to learn to make great turns on. If it's previous years, then they are out there all over the place and can be found for a very reasonable price.

She is looking for prior years. I have Rossi Temp 80 160 bought in 2017, my friend demoed 2018 model and liked it a lot. If she can find something with the exact specs. great. If not, something similar to that model will do also.

Length wise, something in mid 150's since she is 5'3".

Interestingly I can't find my Rossi Temp 80 160 2017 model anywhere online or in store. The ones available for sale are either narrower, wider, longer, or shorter in length but never in that specs. I wonder why? Does manufacturer only makes "x" numbers and once sold out it's done?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Temptation 84 would be another good option. I'll dig around when I have some time. We have a local consignment store that also gets a TON of new stock directly from Rossi here that I can take a peak at. She really shouldn't have much trouble finding that ski gently used from one or two seasons ago. Bonus is a lot of them came with a system binding, so no need to remount.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna