• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is Ibuprofen gel/cream available in Canada over the counter?

abc

Banned
Yet another Canada question. I'm in Montreal right now.

I just realize I didn't bring my prescription Ibuprofen cream in my bag. It's not the end of the world. But I know it's available over the counter in Europe. So perhaps the same is true in Canada?

(Voltaren is one of the brand in US. Not sure it's called the same in Canada)

If so, I can just walk down to a drug store and pick another tube of it!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:

Waiting for DH bike to be worked on at bike store so I decided to try shopping at Target - first time in 3 months, down an isle I spotted something familiar, another shopper asked me if I wanted to pass, I said no, just seeing something I haven't seen in the US before on the shelf..... IT WAS VOLTAREN !!!!

So now Voltaren can be purchased in the US OTC but only at 1% which is lower than the 1.16% I have from Mexico. I asked pharmacist, can't get the 2.32% unless you have a prescription, but he did give me a $3 off coupon :smile: I was running out, and trying to figure out if I would need to get a script and pay $$$$. I can't take advil so I use this occasionally with the approval of my Dr. for minor localized pain.

So interesting b/c I believe diclofenac was taken off the market previously in the US.

Jilly

Staff member
I see TV ads all the time for Voltaren. The one is cute....a pug door that is owned by an older lady. Since she's found Voltaren all she wants to do is walk and walk the dog...Ad is from the dog's point of view.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Voltaren is available OTC in Quebec. Well, sort of OTC. You do have to ask the pharmacist for it and it's listed in your file. (As is Gravol, for some reason.)

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I see TV ads all the time for Voltaren. The one is cute....a pug door that is owned by an older lady. Since she's found Voltaren all she wants to do is walk and walk the dog...Ad is from the dog's point of view.
Hope the pug can keep up!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just looked it up and the 1% strength was approved May 2, 2020 and available at CVS, Walgreens, etc priced $60 and up.
In Mexico it’s been available (the higher strength) at a cost of about $15 and you see it everywhere....even airports.

Jilly

Staff member
On line it's only $20 for the extra strength (2%) 120g (about 4oz). I know the last I bought it was at Costco and got a large and "travel" size.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've never used this, but I assume it's for aches and pains. Does it work well?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva Its similar to any other anti inflammatory and the active ingredient also comes in a pill form. Sold in many other countries OTC.

As a topical cream its applied to the area where needed rather than taking a pill systemically.
Its like Bengay/Aspercream/ etc but instead of a Salicylate its an NSAID. Here is a link to a comparison with Ibuprofen
https://www.singlecare.com/blog/diclofenac-vs-ibuprofen/

Some Doctors believe its better to apply to area needed rather than taking a pill, or at least mine does. I can't take advil any more so this works for occasional sprains strains etc. I will say it has the possibility to cause stomach issues so just b/c your not taking a pill doesn't mean you shouldn't look at the warning label and possible side affects b/c they are similar to any NSAID....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly