• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is Friday the new Saturday?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I say it is. It seems to me that Fridays have become crazy busy. I ski at Okemo, and for the past few years, Friday crowds have become more like weekend than weekday. People seem to opt out of work on Friday for a long weekend thinking it'll be a nice, quiet weekday, but it's becoming more and more crowded. Mondays, on the other hand, are still pretty quiet.

How is it where you ski? Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Last Friday at Big Sky was quite busy. They didn't seem to have enough parking lot shuttles because it was a weekday. At least there seemed to be more shuttles on the weekend.

@lisamamot noted that some northeast schools had winter break the week of Feb. 18. We talked to quite a few people from MA and other places along the east coast, including NC.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@lisamamot noted that some northeast schools had winter break the week of Feb. 18. We talked to quite a few people from MA and other places along the east coast, including NC.

True. It was February vacation week here in New England. But being busy on Friday is a season-long thing, not just limited to holiday weeks. At least around here, anyway.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately it seems that way. I have Fridays off and have noticed them becoming more crowded at Grand Targhee. I arrived a little bit late today (maybe 9:15am?) and the upper parking lot was already full with the lower beginning to fill as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
True. It was February vacation week here in New England. But being busy on Friday is a season-long thing, not just limited to holiday weeks. At least around here, anyway.
I think @Susan L has noticed more people at Taos on Fridays too. Harder for me to tell since one of the weeks I was there was a holiday week. Although the second week I went, there did seem to be more people on the slopes on Friday compared to Mon-Thu.

I wonder if more people being able to work remotely or with a bit more of a flexible schedule is making a difference.

lucy

Angel Diva
Yes! Thinking of switching my Friday to Thursday.

snowysnow

Certified Ski Diva
Same!! And I'm one of the culprits!!

Noooooo, at Tremblant?!
It's funny, I took Fridays off for the last two months with the intention of specifically having an extra option/day to ski and never went, mainly because we had very few sunny Fridays in Jan and Feb. But I'd like to go at least one Friday this season...

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed this when we were out West in early Feb. In fact Friday seemed even busier than Sunday. Snowbird was packed from 11 or 12pm and did not let up for the rest of the afternoon.

Christy

Angel Diva
A lot of people work at home on Fridays. It's an easy day to take off if you want to because people don't necessarily expect you to be in the office and so they kind of forget about you (I did this for years. Email volume is way down on Fridays). And a lot of people do have more flexibility and so choose to avoid weekends to shop or hike or ski, but I feel like I should also say that most people seem to work all the time these days. There are a lot of people hustling and working hard in this gig economy so maybe they are taking Friday off but working Sundays or every evening.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed this when we were out West in early Feb. In fact Friday seemed even busier than Sunday. Snowbird was packed from 11 or 12pm and did not let up for the rest of the afternoon.

Sunday is quieter at Snowbird because the Mormon locals are at church. This was explained to me by my friend, not of that faith, that lives there.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Well, we were at Tremblant yesterday. Gorgeous conditions but crowds not bad at all. I was surprised.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A regional after-school program invades our mountain every Friday afternoon with 300 or so kids. Locals know to get off the trails and out of the lodge by noon. Adult visitors are often caught by surprise, as though they'd been thoroughly enjoying some soft jazz when suddenly the music changed to thrash metal and a mosh pit formed around them.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was at Sugararbush yesterday and the crowds were not bad- no more than a 3 chair wait at any lift most of the day. I can't compare this to other weekdays as I've only skied there Fridays, but at Wachussett I can definitely notice the difference on Friday vs. the rest of the weekdays.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think @Susan L has noticed more people at Taos on Fridays too. Harder for me to tell since one of the weeks I was there was a holiday week. Although the second week I went, there did seem to be more people on the slopes on Friday compared to Mon-Thu.

I wonder if more people being able to work remotely or with a bit more of a flexible schedule is making a difference.

Yes, definitely noticed more people on Fridays this season since I have been staying in Taos full time. Sundays are actually not as crowded and I also ski early tracks at 8am (instead of 9am) whenever they are available, and finish by 11.
I used to only ski weekends because of my husband’s work schedule, but since he is injured and ended the season early, I am able to ski during the week instead. So I only ski in the mornings Mondays-Thursdays plus the extra hour on Sundays. I gave up on Fridays and Saturdays...

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
but at Wachussett I can definitely notice the difference on Friday vs. the rest of the weekdays.
Last year I signed my teen up for the Friday home school group at Wachusett, and was surprised at how long the lines could get considering it was a week day. This year we went with the Thursday home school group, and definitely notice the difference. Never a line on a Thursday. Or any other week day for that matter. I think more outside groups tend to book a Friday outing than for other days.

mustski

Angel Diva
Fridays are definitely busier than other weekdays, but not as busy as Saturdays. We have also noticed that Monday tend to be busier as well. I think it's just that those are the days folks choose when ditching work/school to have a longer weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly