• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I returned from Vail with a cold/flu bug, and am still sick. I've been off work all week. This is Day 8. Unless I feel a lot better by Saturday/Sunday, I will have to take more sick leave.
Have you gone to the dr? Hope you feel better soon

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speedy recovery @VickiK

My husband decided to cut his vacation short to avoid the Spring break crowd that will be arriving this weekend for the next 3 weeks. It will be in the 40s next week anyway and he is not excited about sharing the mountain with loads of visitors.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
We were originally considering a spring skiing trip to Banff. Given the circumstances, we are no longer planning on it. We may still go to Mont Saint Anne but that’s within driving distance for us.

Jilly

Staff member
@ilovepugs - not much happening in eastern Canada. So MSA should be good. I've a friend and client in QC, I can ask about risks for you.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@ilovepugs - not much happening in eastern Canada. So MSA should be good. I've a friend and client in QC, I can ask about risks for you.

I’m not too worried for now! Thank you.

I’m in my 30s without any known respiratory or immune issues. So I’m just living my life, exercising general precautions, and stocking up on dry goods in case self-quarantine is ever necessary. It’s just hard to avoid illness on an airplane!

newboots

Angel Diva
We have a big meetup with family and friends tomorrow at Killington. I’m not going. The lodges are germ factories, and the crowds on Saturday are lethal anyway.

People over 60 are supposed to avoid crowded places. That’s me. I don’t want to be a hermit, but I’m stocking up.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well I canceled my hair appt in San Francisco for next week as was planning on taking public transportation at the commute hour, and I still have a flight scheduled for a week from Saturday to Tahoe and a round trip to Crested Butte the last week of the month.... (which I know is a form of public transportation)...
And, I'm over 60.

woobata

Diva in Training
I’m supposed to be on a work trip to Denver next week and was planning to ski but there’s a chance they will cancel the meeting and go virtual...

there have been already been 4 difference conferences cancelled in the corporate world. i was also suppose to fly up to San Francisco for a small meeting, but others can't even fly so we are doing it all virtual now.

kiki

Angel Diva
Here on the PNW, gateway of the Asia pacific, we are definitely getting more attention on this than I think the East coast. (Ps “wave” to @Christy ! We might pass each other on the hill tomorrow!!)

I debated whether I’d shelve my ski season or not this week, as gondolas and ski lodges are very germy places and I don’t want to bring something home to my husband who has asthma and other health concerns. Decided to do this weekend, but undetermined for rest of season.

Have cancelled an April trip to Caribbean as would not feel safe in the medical care there in event of issues.

Feeling a lot of anxiety on this, not just the sickness part but the whole socio-political and economic ripple effects.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tough time for Denver conferences. The big annual American Physical Society March Meeting was scheduled to be in Denver this past week but was canceled 2 days before the start. Definitely hard on the local economy.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband read somewhere that us old folks shouldn't
  1. take an airplane,
  2. go to the movies, or
  3. go to church.
Since he hasn't been on a plane since 2013, and my planned trip isn't until September, we never go to the movies (can hardly get through all the online stuff), and never go to church, we easily check those boxes. Fortunately that trip to Austria and Italy has Cancel for Any Reason insurance on it. I'll make up my mind this summer.

I haven't had lunch in the lodge even once this year, and open all the doors with a sleeve, a paper towel, or a mitten if I have to, the lodge hasn't been a worry. The locker area is generally close to empty during the week, as it's a whole floor of seasonal lockers. The mittens get thrown every day in the dryer, so I'm hoping the heat is doing some good. The big risk is the grocery store.

My daughter went to Whitewater for the last weekend and they discussed not allowing her to come to work for two weeks "because she'd traveled".... In her car. She's not allowed to travel to Italy until further notice which will definitely impact that trip if things don't settle down. In addition some conference in DC they are telling her not to book airfare until immediately before it in spite of the expense of last minute tickets.

Last edited:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
In terms of business, the airlines are really suffering, especially in Asia, though not only.

I travel at least every other week but cancelled week-long China and Singapore trips in Feb so I have been enjoying the long stretch in Toulouse and El Tarter. Was supposed to start my road trip to Italy today, but will just visit Cadaques and Girona in Spain this weekend before going up the back way through Spain into Andorra for a week of skiing where the snow still falling. So all in all I am not personally negatively impacted. A lot of people I know are though, it's difficult.

"Cancel for any reason" insurance seems like a bargain these days I imagine.

MissySki

Angel Diva
On the topic of lodges when skiing, wouldn’t it work to just avoid them altogether versus not going to the mountain because of them? I personally avoid lodges in general for the most part when I’m on my own skiing anyway. When you’re on the lift you have gloves on, along with goggles and could do some type of facial barrier. Seems reasonably safe to me if you stay outdoors and off of gondolas at ski resorts. Get ready at your car, bring a lunch to eat at your car as well if needed, etc.

I have no travel plans coming up that aren’t drivable, so no issue there. My company has sent notices out to work from home if feeling sick etc. The place I feel most at risk for catching any kind of illness is always at work anyway, it’s always like that especially because people with kids are so often sick from them in the winter in general and we have lots of open cubicles. So doing a lot of hand washing, but that’s about it right now.

I’ve had past respiratory issues that were quite serious and that does make me a little uneasy about catching something like this. For this reason my doctor has instructed that I always get the flu shot, etc. There seems to be a disconnect between the government saying there’s not a big concern, but then the reactivity that’s also happening in some places seems like there sure is.. I don’t like feeling that perhaps we are not being told everything, but I guess that also sounds kind of conspiracy theoryesque as well.. :noidea:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going skiing tomorrow but I plan to avoid gondolas where you're cooped up in a small space. I haven't even decided where I'll go yet, so maybe where I end up won't have gondolas anyway!
The lodge doesn't especially concern me, as I use commuter rail everyday to get to work anyway, so I'm already being exposed to lots of people---and then I get to work where we have people that have been traveling all over the place. It was really only this week that lots of meetings started to get canceled for us.
It's funny because under normal circumstances I'm always more germaphobic than most people--but I think that's why I'm not freaking out or changing my behavior much now (yet!); what they're telling people to do is standard operating procedure for me anyway. I scrub my hands a million times a day (especially after touching something really germy), open doors with paper towels, avoid contact with obviously sick people, use clorox/lysol wipes/purell, stay away from large gatherings when there are known pathogens circulating in the general population, in extreme circumstances I don't dine out either (but that one is hard for me, as I love to eat out--so I haven't gone to that stage yet this time).

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be brown bagging it, wearing my neck gaitor on gondolas, not shaking hands. I wash my hands alot and use hand sanitizer, I wear gloves in the market then sanitizer when I get in the car and wash my hands again when I get home. I should probably lysol all the canned goods?

I stuff Anti bacterial gel in my nose when I fly- I wipe down my seat, tray table, air/light area and have masks if I hear a cough. I blow my nose when I get off the plane and I NEVER Touch my eyes, nose or eat hand food. I don't touch railings and use my sleeve or towel to open doors.

I also ramp up my Bee Propolis, Echinacea and Airborne on a daily basis to boost my immune system.
I'm glad skiing is an Outdoor sport and I guess I'll ski faster to avoid being near people.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We are living in an age when some news reports can make it feel like "data" is available instantaneously about anything and everything. But that can't be true for a "novel" virus that didn't exist in humans until a few months ago. Especially one where most people have mild symptoms that aren't particularly unique from other flu strains. The speed at which the current coronavirus strain was identified was pretty fast. But no one is suggesting that everyone who has minor symptoms be tested.

Here's what's different about COVID-19 from a more common flu strain that wasn't covered by the flu shot vaccine that many people got last fall.

* Jumped from an animal, but exactly which type of animal is not known yet
* Initial symptoms not that different from a cold or flu, doesn't include diarrhea
* No vaccine exists as yet

The other coronavirus strains that have caused major travel disruptions in the last couple decades were SARS in 2003, H1N1 in 2009, and MERS in 2012. MERS originated in Egypt. Must say I'd never heard of MERS. H1N1 still exists, but can be included in an annual vaccine.

Wikipedia definition of "novel virus"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel_virus
"Novel virus refers to a virus not seen before. It can be a virus that is isolated from its reservoir or isolated as the result of spread to an animal or human host where the virus had not been identified before. It can be an emergent virus, one that represents a new strain, but it can also be an extant virus not previously identified. The virus also may come up just as the results of genetic make up mutations under various causative and thus being unnoticed by human it may be lethal."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly