• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I Am not making any changes in my day to day plans...other than washing hands more often and longer than usual. A lot of what I’ve read indicates that mortality rates for this virus are no worse than this years B strain flu...for which the flu vaccine is ineffective.
However, as far as travel goes, I have been planning a trip to Switzerland and France in June, and am not purchasing plane tickets just yet. That is more because I don’t want to be in an incubator that is an airplane cabin for 6+ hours, or in a situation where I could be quarantined for an indefinite period of time.
My thought is, use common sense when in larger groups of people and do as your mother told you! WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I’d like to go out west one last time in late April to wrap up the ski season. Haven’t made any reservations yet. I’m playing it by ear.

marzNC

Angel Diva
However, as far as travel goes, I have been planning a trip to Switzerland and France in June, and am not purchasing plane tickets just yet. That is more because I don’t want to be in an incubator that is an airplane cabin for 6+ hours, or in a situation where I could be quarantined for an indefinite period of time.
My thought is, use common sense when in larger groups of people and do as your mother told you! WASH YOUR HANDS!!!
Same here in terms of plans for traveling out of N. America this summer. My good friend who is an American living and working in Switzerland is holding off buying plane tickets for a trip to visit friends and relatives in the U.S. this spring. The situation is simply too hard to predict at this stage.

Even when I was working, I avoided shaking hands even though I knew how and knew the guidelines for professional and social etiquette. Not a hugger in general. Had years when working that I didn't get a flu shot . . . and didn't get the flu. In general haven't been sick with a contagious disease very often (in 60+ years).

In some ways, I'm more concerned about my daughter who is on a college campus, living in a dorm, than I would be if I had kids in elementary school and were planning a ski trip to the Rockies. But I'm not about to tell her she has to come home.

Since my friend and her kids (middle school) have a trip to Alta planned in mid-April, that's a personal reason I'll pay close attention to the situation for domestic flights. The parents are originally from China but have been in the U.S. for over 20 years. But obviously are well aware of what's going on in China and the world in general related to COVID-19.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a major meeting in a week and a half in DC and no one has cancelled yet, which I find surprising.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We have a major meeting in a week and a half in DC and no one has cancelled yet, which I find surprising.
I bet there are intense discussions on-going behind the scenes. That's what's happening for a major international science conference in Philadelphia later this month that my husband is supposed to attend.

The American Physics Society cancelled their conference in Denver at very short notice. Registration is typically around 11,000. A few people were already in Denver when the decision was made. Undoubtedly others had probably already cancelled their travel plans or were told by their company that travel was out of the question. Especially those coming from other continents.

March 2, 2020, Nature
Coronavirus fears cancel world’s biggest physics meeting

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that we know the confirmed CO patient was at Keystone and Vail, will it change anyone’s plan to visit those 2 resorts?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bet there are intense discussions on-going behind the scenes. That's what's happening for a major international science conference in Philadelphia later this month that my husband is supposed to attend.

The American Physics Society cancelled their conference in Denver at very short notice. Registration is typically around 11,000. A few people were already in Denver when the decision was made. Undoubtedly others had probably already cancelled their travel plans or were told by their company that travel was out of the question. Especially those coming from other continents.

March 2, 2020, Nature

I assume you are talking about the ACS conference in Philly? I heard that lots of companies are pulling out, I was just talking to a coworker yesterday who thinks she is going to cancel because of this too. What’s the point of going if so many speakers etc. may not be there? Wouldn’t be surprised if they cancelled overall due to this.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva

March 2, 2020, Nature

We are watching to see if the AAD gets cancelled there next week.

mustski

Angel Diva
Wanted to ski Cervinia but not sure, given that Italy is such a risk.
We were supposed to be in Cervinia next week. We did change that to an extra week in the French Alps but only because we were concerned about getting stuck there. I am in France - eating at buffets, riding Gondolas and trams and truthfully not overly concerned. My husband is immune compromised and has been for the last 20 years. We don’t take it lightly but we keep on living. The reality is that you are just as likely to pick something up at the local grocery store as at a ski resort. We do plan to self isolate when we get home, but we are retired so that is easy to do.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
My ski season ends the 2nd week of March and we always head to Hawaii afterwards to defrost and jumpstart our golf season. My husband works at a hospital and was not worried about the Coronavirus last month, but he just told me we are canceling the trip. If he is concerned enough to cancel our trip, then it is quite serious.
Our Hospitals are making staff who travel to CA, OR or WA 14 day quarantine.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our Hospitals are making staff who travel to CA, OR or WA 14 day quarantine.
My husband has been on vacation the last 2 weeks, returning to work on Monday. I guess he will know more then. Just no handshaking with patients and wear a mask if the patient is sick. His nurses are usually very good at warning him about it before he walks in the room. All his patients are immuno compromised so they would not be going anywhere while they are sick.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because I don't want to bring the virus into my home, I cancelled my PSIA National Academy week. I had to forfeit the cost of the flight since it was non-refundable, but it didn't cost much in the first place since I used points. I ended my ski instruction job for the season, will no longer ski until next season, and have cleaned out my condo. The situation in the crowded lodges does not look good; it would be so easy for me to pick up the virus from touching anything in the lodge, or breathing the air. Think of all the drippy noses happening because of the cold, the hands wiping those noses, then those hands touching things everywhere in the lodge. I've cancelled my planned trips to visit my daughters this summer, too. A hermit I will be, until further notice.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We’re planning on going x-country skiing tomorrow. There will be a LOT fewer people and I think it’ll be easy to minimize contact with germy spots. I was originally really wanting to go to our caucuses but uh - no. I don‘t want to be in that crowded of a space right now! Sorry - self-preservation beats civic duty.

We’re going to Vail on Monday, packing lunches and bringing wet wipes.

Tvan

Angel Diva
My office has instituted a travel ban, even travel between office locations domestically. No visitors to buildings, including for interviews which will take place via teleconference, and work-from-home for all workers who are not on the manufacturing line or in the labs. It’s a conservative stance for sure, but as someone with a medically fragile immune system, I very much appreciate the caution.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I returned from Vail with a cold/flu bug, and am still sick. I've been off work all week. This is Day 8. Unless I feel a lot better by Saturday/Sunday, I will have to take more sick leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly